Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Outrage RC > Outrage G5

Outrage G5 Outrage G5 Helicopter Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Maiden of the Outrage G5, and NO CRASH!!!

"I DIDN'T CRASH IT!!! I DIDN'T CRASH IT!!!" (that is a direct quote).

Don't watch this if you are looking for some great piloting. The fact that I was able to get this heli into the air, keep it there for a couple of minutes, and land it on the landing pad (a 3x4 plywood) is a testiment to the stability of this heli (and maybe, just maybe, a little credit goes to my building skills . That's what I choose to believe anyway).

Something is still not right with the gyro. At 0:33 (and then several more times after that) you can hear a slight "flutter". That is me trying to go nose left, and the gyro starts wagging quickly (about 2 inches side to side) and feels like it is fighting me. I have the gain set really low... maybe too low, but the tail was holding dead on. Still some tuning to do I guess.

Anyway, nothing impressive, unless you have seen me fly before, in which case you'll be impressed that no part of the heli touched the ground other than the skids, and it came home in one piece .

Outrage G5, Tarot 450 Pro, Raptor G2, Blade MCPX
JesseChunn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What!...No piro flips...

Grats on the maiden! Looks like it went pretty well. Was that a little tail wag making that noise?
MAAC #85462
Down Low is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Low View Post
Was that a little tail wag making that noise?
Yeah... I mentioned that in the post.. but you are like me... straight to the video

Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice!! That looks to be an awesome bird! You have a great place to fly as well.
couchcommander is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nothing beats a successful maiden... grats brother!!!

Now figure out what the wag is about...lol...
Old 08-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommander View Post
...You have a great place to fly as well.
Yeah, I'm lucky. I have a strip between my house and the lake (Lake Ray Hubbard near Dallas) that couldn't be better. It is about the size of three or four football fields end to end... all "private" (gated) among my neighbors and me, and they only go out there to mow mostly. Of course, I only need about a 20 foot square to crash in usually

Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice job!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very nice! The G5 is such a great heli... well ahead of its time.. it's a shame they discontinued it. and also my precious 550!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks great I saw a G5 in person, I wanted to buy it.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Picture of the G5 close up

Not a great quality picture (capture from video) but here it what it looks like. It sits so low the grass almost covers it up, but that is what I like about it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outrage G5.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	248472  

Old 08-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

She's alive! Awesome man, glad to see her up in the air. So did you end up going with a 6s setup?
skinart76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinart76 View Post
She's alive! Awesome man, glad to see her up in the air. So did you end up going with a 6s setup?
Yup, 6s batts arrived Friday, just in time for the electronics/radio/head/tail setup. Great heli... I can tell I'm gonna spend a lot of air time with this one.

I had to mod the canopy a bit. Cut a hole in the bottom for easy access to battery connection, trimmed it a little so it wouldn't bump the skids, and moved the mounting holes because it wouldn't mount with the battery in.

Other than that, it was pretty much a "by-the-book" build and setup.

As you probably noticed, something funky with the gyro. I have the gain way down at like 55 or something (futaba radio, above 50 is HH mode) and it wags. It doesn't wag when I turn right or stay straight... only when I turn nose left. It's like the gyro is fighting me... it doesn't want to turn left for some reason. It's a cheap gyro (HK401b) and I have a GY401 sitting on the bench, but by golly, I have heard those HK401b gyros will work, and it was holding the tail, so I'm gonna try to figure it out.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which Futaba radio are you using? I am currently using an 8FG and had the 7C before, and both of the radios can be set to either "normal" or "AVCS". Each of the gyro modes have it's own values. So say 55 normal will be 55 in rate, and vice versa, 55 in AVCS will be 55 in head holding.

I'm glad to see and hear the build process was rather straight forward.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseChunn View Post
Yeah... I mentioned that in the post.. but you are like me... straight to the video
Guilty as charged sir...
MAAC #85462
Down Low is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looking good man, she is a fun little bird for sure. Its a real shame they never caught on like they could have. Oh well, at least there is this little crew still flying them!
Blade mCPX BL | MultiWii Quadrotor
branflake is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Which Futaba radio are you using? I am currently using an 8FG and had the 7C before, and both of the radios can be set to either "normal" or "AVCS". Each of the gyro modes have it's own values. So say 55 normal will be 55 in rate, and vice versa, 55 in AVCS will be 55 in head holding.

I'm glad to see and hear the build process was rather straight forward.
I have an old 8u Super (sometimes called "Super 8"). It is almost 10 years old. It does not have seperate settings for rate and HH... just gyro gain, so above 50 is HH, below 50 is rate, and 50 appears to be "off" from my experimentation.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks great! I love my G5 and plan on keeping it flying until I can't get parts anymore which I will hope to be a long time. I love the 6s setup!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahh, gotcha. Cool, hope you get tail issue figured out.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Ahh, gotcha. Cool, hope you get tail issue figured out.
I have one last thing to try. Someone somewhere out there said that with the HK401b this problem can be solved by setting it to analog, even though the servo is digital. I know you can't do it the other way 'round or you'll burn up the servo, but setting it to analog should work, just a little slower. Gonna try that and see what happens.

If that doesn't fix it, then I'll slap a gy401 on there (got one collecting dust right now). I know that should work. If, by some chance, it is actually the servo (S9357) then I'll replace that with a spare S9354 I have.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you use the gy520 it will be a good thing to set it (mechanical) up in rate mode (non heading hold ) so it is not drifting , then switch it to heading hold and it should be fine. For smaller heli's with a gy520 it works the best, i had some similar "problems" with the gy520 on a trex450.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in