Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default DS821's in your 600N

Who is using 821's in their 600N?

Just trying to get a count here. Don't want to start a comparison war.

~Lane
theLane is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used them for 1 galloon. Then swap back my BLS451 from my 600E back to 600N. I have some worries of the engine vibration.

The 600 electric should be safe to use the 821. Already there for 12 months and more than 200 flights.
tungym is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Tech Notes

The DS821 servo is a powerful, accurate sport digital servo recommended for RC airplane applications up to 1.20-size. For helicopters, the DS821 operates best with 30-size glow models, and up to 50-size electric. Loads and vibration in larger models may cause premature failure of the servo resulting in damage or injury to property and persons.
Important: Do not use liquid thread lock with the DS821 servo!

Do not use any form of liquid thread lock to secure the servo arm screw to the output shaft of the DS821 servo. Chemicals in these liquids react with the polycarbonate gear set causing the plastic to become brittle, fracturing the final output gear.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i've benn using them in my 600N with no problem, but i only have a gallon through it. i fly with a few people who have them in there 600N's and have had no problems one guy with over 100 flights... but i have read there ratings and have seen them cause a crash so USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

We've ALL seen the tech notes. I'm not asking if it's OK to use them, just want to know how many people are using them.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had one on throttle ONLY and it failed after about 2 gallons - I would stay away from them on a T600N.......
dsmit258 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 05:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am still using them in my 600pro and have over 50 flights and no probs at all , but then im not doing 3d just starting to do rolls and loops...

I have spoken to lots of guys at my local club about this, and the guys who are using them have had no probs, I said bout them being ok for 30 but not 50 size, I was told that there is not much more vibration in the 50, and that it depends on how you are set up..

I think that if I start to get into 3D I will prob change them up but at the mo I am going to stick with ,

A guy at my club had a s9254 servo go on him whilst up, he lost tail rudder whilst flying. . But that dont mean I am going to rush out and change my tail servos out of my 600pro , raptor coz of what happened to him , any servo can and do go wrong from the most expensive to the really cheap and nasty , I have seen it..
Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Compare the cost of a crash due to a failed servo compared to the price of decent servos and I think you will find its better to get good servos rather than use servos against the manufacturers application reccomendation.
http://www.jaxrc.com
BarracudaHockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had them in my stinger for a case of fuel. I never did get the shakes out of it. I would think if it was gonna fail it would have done it in that bird.

Now there in my 600N. I have over a case of fuel threw the bird now with no problems. I just bumped them up to 6V. Way better than it has ever been. Im not the hardest flyer out there but have really been throwing it around latly. Lots of tic-tocs and pyro flips. There still not fast enough to run the rudder wide open in pyro flips but I have it set to 115 and the cyclic can keep up.

DK

Edit: Just checked and I have 59 recorded flights on the 600.
rototiller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

this is a really interesting thread. im planning on putting these servos in my 600 once i get it. They came with my DX7, and i need to put them to good use.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think that they are fine if your not pushing them hard, Like I said all servos can brake even expensive ones ,

I have a set of Hitec Hs-625mg which have a reasonable spec and are ment for 60 size helis , I put a post on ere bout them a while ago and I was told that there no better than the DS821 so I have held off from putting them in..

But when I asked at my local shop, about the 821 they said that they have not had any probs with them and a few guys have even been asking for them, They told me that the hitec HS-625MG which I have laying around are very good even for 3D , to be honest I dont really know what to do for the best..

I might post again about the HS-625mg find out a bit more ..
Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would not use the 821's on a 50 nitro, FF ok for a while but flips and rolls you are looking for a failure and a crash, been there done that got the T shirt, so don't kid ur self.
captcasper7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hmmm.. I have been using them in my Hawk Pro w/OS37. I know it's not a 50, but I have had 3 crashes and they are still fine. This is my experience with them. I like'em and will use them in my 600N when I get it. Just wanted to know how many others are using them as well.

You gotta think that with the number of DX7 sales out there, a lot of people are using them, as not too many are up for sale.

~Lane
Old 10-26-2007, 04:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLane View Post
Hmmm.. I have been using them in my Hawk Pro w/OS37. I know it's not a 50, but I have had 3 crashes and they are still fine. This is my experience with them. I like'em and will use them in my 600N when I get it. Just wanted to know how many others are using them as well.

You gotta think that with the number of DX7 sales out there, a lot of people are using them, as not too many are up for sale.

~Lane
Alot of people sell them on as they do not want to use them in anything over a 30 nitro, They want the DX7, but not the servos that come with it.

And yes I have used them and had a failure, shaft broke inside the servo and my heli slipped out of the sky and there was nothing that could be done but watch her crash. Up until that point I was a member of the "OK there is no problem I have run these for one gallon" I wish I had taken note of what others had said instead of only hearing what I wanted to hear.

It is your choice if you use them or not in Nitro 50 good luck. Happy flying.

Last edited by captcasper7; 10-26-2007 at 06:35 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

My HF Map location

a fellow at our field was using one on just the throttle (only the throttle) of his raptor 90. the output shaft snapped on his too. I'm not sure how many flights he got out of it before it broke.
lakespinner2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

As I mentioned In another post that I have become more concerned about using these servos , I looked them up on the spektrum web page and they state that they are not suitable for any thing above 30 size nitro.. I have emailed them with regards to this servo, will post what the say..

I think that for the time I will fit some hitec HS-625mg till I can afford to get a new set of digital servos, I am thinking about keeping the 821's for the throttle as there is very little resistance there, but not to sure after reading the post above..
Old 10-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its not the load thats the problem its the vibration that seems to be killing them.
http://www.jaxrc.com
BarracudaHockey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right.. so they really are no use to me.. ?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I called round a few shops all over the uk, and I explained my worries about the Ds821 and I was very suprised to hear that none of the shops had heard of the problem, and most people That I spoked to mentioned guys who are using them in 50 size IC with no probs

I spoke to one guy from al's hobbies and he said that " the vibration is only a problem if they are not mounted right".

I am very confused I am prob still going to swap them out but If there was such a big problem with these servos then surly most of the hobby shops in the uk would know about it, or at least one, I must of telephoned about 13 different stores from all over the Uk and not one was aware of the issue with the 821.

please feel free to investigate as I did. I would be interested to see what you guys find out.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevans692 View Post
I called round a few shops all over the uk, and I explained my worries about the Ds821 and I was very suprised to hear that none of the shops had heard of the problem, and most people That I spoked to mentioned guys who are using them in 50 size IC with no probs

I spoke to one guy from al's hobbies and he said that " the vibration is only a problem if they are not mounted right".

I am very confused I am prob still going to swap them out but If there was such a big problem with these servos then surly most of the hobby shops in the uk would know about it, or at least one, I must of telephoned about 13 different stores from all over the Uk and not one was aware of the issue with the 821.

please feel free to investigate as I did. I would be interested to see what you guys find out.
I will depend on how much they know about helis and who you speak to in the shops , some shops also sell planks as well and they have people in the shop that know just about plamks and some that know just about helis, they also have people that know both, but unless you know who you are talking to you may not talking to the right person and you are getting info that is not correct as they are looking for a sale.

Are you a member of a flying club, if so ask the guys what they would use, you will know the ones to ask as they will be the guys that fly very well and can do 3D, don't ask the guys that are just at the hover stage.

Best shops to ring are Skyline ask for Bob. Inwood models ask for Dave, be honest with them as well don't say you are just going to hover with these servo's as they will say they are OK for that, but if you are going to do FFF rolls and flips you want something better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in