Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows

Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows Ladies who fly Helis and Wives of Heli Flyers. Guys, please leave the new threads to the ladies

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What I was told today

Ok So I was flying at PCMA today(by myself with out a man/buddy box. Have been for awhile) Well I get to CCRC and was told I can't fly because I ain't a professional pilot. I was also told that I would have to fly on a buddy box at any club I go to. Well I flew my epp yak 54 ALL BY MYSELF!!! at PCMA and Taildraggers. This made me seriously :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Oh yea and you have to be certified? Well half the people I see flying shouldn't have be "certified".

My bf even "let" me fly at PCMA when I didn't have AMA.

No one at the club told me this my bf is the one who told me all of this, but if it is true then I would like to know where you go to become a certified RC pilot.

So next time anyone ask me why I ain't flying I will say because I was told I couldn't because I ain't a certified professional flyer.
epoweredrcgirl09 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

What is CCRC?

An AMA club?

That's freakin' BS.........I'd complain to the president of the club first. If no luck with that person, then take it up one level at a time.

If you can fly safely, that should be the only qualifier, IMO.

ADDED:

And keep a written log (video and audio log if/where legal) of every contact you make, date and time, the person's name, etc.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If this is Cobb County RC you are talking about, go to their website like I just did and read their bylaws for yourself. They do have rules for non-members/visitors like many private fields do.
Regarding certification, a lot of clubs have someone stand by you the first time you fly to make sure that you can fly safely. Our club has a series of proficiency tests you can take and achieve different levels. We ask new people to go through training, do supervised solos and take the solo test at least. But it is not enforced if they don't want to do it. It does make them better pilots in the long run. I didn't see anything on CCRC's website regarding certification but I didn't spend a lot of time looking.
Hope this helps. If you have any questions about any AMA chartered clubs, go to their websites. Their rules are normally posted there. AMA is the main requirement and the insurance can be very valuable.

Lynbird is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yea it an AMA club. Yea they do have flying rules for newbies. I mean they let my bf fly by himself without anyone. I have youtube video of me flying. No I don't fly my balsa planes by myself yet, but I can hover, do rolls and everything with my yak in wind all bymyself and that only plane I want to fly now i dont mind flying on a buddy box with any plane, but I am finally flying on my own with the yak and they want me back step and that makes me

I am ready to just give up flying and sell everything RC I have.

My bf is going to be a flight instructor and they have to sign off on it and they said he could be my flight instructor so I mean come on he already knows I can fly so I dont know what the deal is.(my bf telling me all this, not any one else)
Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrcgirl09 View Post
Ok So I was flying at PCMA today(by myself with out a man/buddy box. Have been for awhile) Well I get to CCRC and was told I can't fly because I ain't a professional pilot. I was also told that I would have to fly on a buddy box at any club I go to. Well I flew my epp yak 54 ALL BY MYSELF!!! at PCMA and Taildraggers. This made me seriously :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Oh yea and you have to be certified? Well half the people I see flying shouldn't have be "certified".

My bf even "let" me fly at PCMA when I didn't have AMA.

No one at the club told me this my bf is the one who told me all of this, but if it is true then I would like to know where you go to become a certified RC pilot.

So next time anyone ask me why I ain't flying I will say because I was told I couldn't because I ain't a certified professional flyer.
Without sounding rude, it sounds like your making it more then it really is.

*There are a handful of "professional" pilots out there, and i would highly doubt you are not allowed to fly because you aren't a professional. How bout not "proficient" enough to fly by yourself at that club.

*MANY clubs require a buddy box flight with an instructor prior to a flight, or atleast a competent pilot to stand next to you to sign off to say you aren't a danger to yourself or anyone else.

*If you can fly a Epp foamy, great! Are you flying it, or maintaining it from crashing? Two different worlds there. If you are flying it, you should have no problem with going up on a buddybox to prove you can keep the airplane safe.

**If your BF is letting you fly at a AMA sanctioned field, knowing you do not have an AMA, then he is putting the whole club at risk. Not a smart move at all

Every field has its own set of rules, and Fortunately / Unfortunately youbmust adhere to them if you want to fly there.

Sure there are the old timers or even younger people that shouldn't be flying. But that is just part of the hobby. Deal with it..

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk.
superrmario is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrmario View Post

*There are a handful of "professional" pilots out there, and i would highly doubt you are not allowed to fly because you aren't a professional. How bout not "proficient" enough to fly by yourself at that club.

*MANY clubs require a buddy box flight with an instructor prior to a flight, or atleast a competent pilot to stand next to you to sign off to say you aren't a danger to yourself or anyone else.

*If you can fly a Epp foamy, great! Are you flying it, or maintaining it from crashing? Two different worlds there. If you are flying it, you should have no problem with going up on a buddybox to prove you can keep the airplane safe.

**If your BF is letting you fly at a AMA sanctioned field, knowing you do not have an AMA, then he is putting the whole club at risk. Not a smart move at all

Every field has its own set of rules, and Fortunately / Unfortunately youbmust adhere to them if you want to fly there.

Sure there are the old timers or even younger people that shouldn't be flying. But that is just part of the hobby. Deal with it..

I can hover, do rolls, etc on the yak about 20 feet give or take off the ground all by myself. My bf will be my flight instructor who will sign off on my skills so I mean come on.

You don't get it though when I am doing 3D on a buddy box they automatically think it my bf doing it. People are like omg a woman flying and 3D at that wow amazing. That is my problem with a buddy box. I have to go no that was me flying.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill (again).
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrcgirl09 View Post
I can hover, do rolls, etc on the yak about 20 feet give or take off the ground all by myself. My bf will be my flight instructor who will sign off on my skills so I mean come on.

You don't get it though when I am doing 3D on a buddy box they automatically think it my bf doing it. People are like omg a woman flying and 3D at that wow amazing. That is my problem with a buddy box. I have to go no that was me flying.
Easy answer then.

DONT let your BF put you on a buddy box. When someone says something, have them put you on the box. Prove your critics wrong.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrmario View Post

She can fly it but they do have a list to go by

Take off

couple loops and rolls

touch n go

land.

if can do all this then you get signed off to be a normal member otherwise your badge says "Student" and you have to fly with a Club instructor.

Told her all she got to do is let me have the buddy box hooked up I can stand there and hold the button the whole time its not like I have to take over anytime during flight.

This club also you must announce take off, landings left to right or right to left. ON the field and such. its different from the layed back club I have been flying at I do not know the members like I do at my old club she got to understand all of this.

yeah I let her fly a Micro Champ by herself we all let some people try flying sometimes. I was next to her or on buddy box.

Epoweredrc is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is why I enjoy flying at my own fields and avoid clubs because of the BS. Too many rules and most of it is not even safetly related.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
RCTada is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverse View Post
I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill (again).
maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post

Told her all she got to do is let me have the buddy box hooked up I can stand there and hold the button the whole time its not like I have to take over anytime during flight.

This club also you must announce take off, landings left to right or right to left. ON the field and such. its different from the layed back club I have been flying at I do not know the members like I do at my old club she got to understand all of this.

yeah I let her fly a Micro Champ by herself we all let some people try flying sometimes. I was next to her or on buddy box.
Yea again I will say that EVERY-TIME I am on the buddy box or you are near me and I do anything with the plane they think it is YOU flying and not ME. I have to say umm no that was me and EVERY-TIME they are like wow like they are surprised a girl can even fly.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
She can fly it but they do have a list to go by

Take off

couple loops and rolls

touch n go

land.

if can do all this then you get signed off to be a normal member otherwise your badge says "Student" and you have to fly with a Club instructor.

These are the same rules that my Airplane Field goes by. Ask me how i know... I instruct, and like to teach.LOL

I think someone is just too eager...

Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't this club have a procedure where you can qualify to fly by yourself? If the qualification isn't too complicated, then why not just go through it to show everyone that you can fly and then all this becomes a non-issue?
Morris9982 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well I can say the club Nampa model Aviators here next to Boise Idaho is just as bad or worse. First off I was harassed to the point of extreme, yet most of the guys here are these old good ol boys who think they know everything. I hate club flying because of them, I do have my AMA and I did have a guy stand next to me, who mocked me saying lets see if we can hover first and instead i hovered inverted, and he could not even do it. I have a current ama but I refuse to spend money at a club just so some guy can boss me around and say his three cents worth. I can always learn, but i am to the point now I enjoy just going to my huge local park and flying when nobody is out. Nobody says anything to you, and the beauty of it, one it is free, two its peacful and most of you can just fly your own way with your own helicopter. If you crash then you crash. I honestly would just leave and find a nice huge park.
sarah1097 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not many parks around here. I love PCMA alot of nice guys there. Well we joined CCRC and I got to fly and am not in the "student" program. I am a woman and I will fight till the bitter end to make guys realize that females are just as good if not better at flying.

My new obstacle is wanting to work at a hobby shop, again I was told I wouldn't be hired because I am female and again this was my bf who told me this and I told him that they can not by law not hire me because of my gender..

I am a fighter and will fight tooth and nail for what I believe is right

Sarah nice job on showing that douche a female can fly and I was about to give up till I said no way will I ever let any man tell me I cant do something. I do agree however that is nice not to have to pay to fly at parks.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned User

I've always done what Sarah suggested, that is fly alone at a local park. I sometimes get an audience, no big deal.

So I'm flying the 550 all lit up after dark, and an older guy waits patiently for me to land before walking over to talk to me. Out of all the things the guy could say to me about my several hundred dollar bird, his first comment is how the LEDs on the blade tips really show that my blade tracking is off just a bit. If hes at all typical of club pilots, then no thanks. Turns out one of the 550 wood blades I was flying had warped a bit. It never would track accurately despite several attempts.

EpoweredRcgirl it sucks that you keep running into arrogant jerks. Seems like the world is full of them. Dont give up tho, if acceptance in a RC club is what you want, you should get it.
kavic5150 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default women flying

i dont think it matters at all who is flying, male or female. im 46 and started learning a couple years ago, and i still suk..lol anyway, if a girl can fly, who cares, just let em fly. i just love the feeling of the blades spinning and i have control..lol
jtrides65 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow epoweredrcgirl09 that really sux, I'm kinda lucky up here in the north east excpt for being in the 20s way too cold to fly. The only field I've been to is a heli only field New England Heli Crew.

I went as a guest, meet some of the pilots nice guys IMO had a couple of flights taking turns, there was only like 10 people there. Great experence for me had a great afternoon, but I think every field has at least a couple of know it alls. If flying is what you like to do don't give up or in to these people. Keep at it and don't listen to all those pointless comments.

Nick
nick4622 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The one club I belonged to for several years was in Sumter, SC, next to Shaw Air Force Base. It was public land but dedicated to model flying.

When someone new showed up and asked about flying, the only thing we did was ask to see their AMA card and then did a quick explanation about safety rules for the field, such as frequency pins, pilot pads, zero line, and things like that. After that, they were allowed to fly like anyone else. If they consistently violated safety rules such as flying behind the zero line then we would say something to them.

Too bad more fields aren't like that. I've never gone to a new field and had to prove my flying skills before I was allowed to fly.
Morris9982 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My personal opinion is that this hobby is still a terrible sausage fest

We should do as much as we can to encourage more female pilots, and not piss them off with bad egos.

How does it help the hobby? Well, as soon as female pilots reach critical mass, we'll start seeing better designs flow into all aspects of this hobby.

I for one would love it if there were more female pilots - then maybe my wife may be encouraged to fly more.

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRÔTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026
rchelijc is offline        Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in