Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General

LiIon, LiPo, NiCd & NiMh General General Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Charging/Fire Question

I have several 6S 5000 mah, 3S 2200 mah and numerous MCPX battery's that I charge. My question is, has anyone ever had a charging fire while charging their LiPo's at 1 or 2C, at the appropriate voltage level? I don't mind waiting while the battery's charge at a slow rate. The battery's never even get warm to the touch while charging

The reason I am asking is that I charge them on the kitchen counter and do not always monitor their charging status. My Triton 2EQ shuts off after the charge is complete.
extreme1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You'll hear from both ends of the spectrum on this question. I had a high quality 6s 5000mah pack blow up once, charging at 1c. Huge flames, tons of caustic smoke, etc. I stepped into another room for just about 3 minutes, heard the pack beginning to vent (sounded like a teapot!), and by the time I got it unplugged it erupted into massive flames.

There wasn't anything wrong with the pack, and I didn't do anything incorrectly. Sometimes bad things just happen. That being said, I'd at least move to the garage or outside somewhere, making sure there's nothing close enough to catch fire or be too damaged from the smoke. I had stuff 3 feet from my charging station melt / catch fire. I also discovered a bottle of 3 in 1 oil and bag of fertilizer just inches away from where the flames had been. Talk about bad news... I've since revamped my charging habits, although I still don't go through the lengths some folks do to ensure 100% safety.

Major Equipment Sponsor - AdventureRC
Discount_Bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had my house burn down from charging in early 2010.

Soooo many variables:

1) I was charging a 3s 2200 after I had just charged a 6s 2200. Did I change it?
2) Cheap HK Charger - did it blow?
3) Did the Feathermerchant supply die and start a fire?
4) Power strip looked to be the source to the fire dudes...was it even a lipo induced fire?
5) 3s I was charging was from 2007 and flown hard in planks and later 450s - should have been retired a long time before - and probably this older chem worked and exhausted pack was part of the issue for sure.

I set the charge, stayed with it for 15-20 minutes, stepped away for another 15-20 and the smoke alarms were going off with a big part of my garage in flames. Couldn't determine the exact cause.

If I have to walk away from a charge, I don't charge, and that's only because I lost an entire home and some pets to a fire. If I want an unattended charge I charge in my drive way. I do a high c charge if I'm busy while working on something in the garage.

I built a battery bunker out of cinder blocks for storage with lipo bags. If one vents I should get smoke damage but no fire.

I think these things are rare and are improving. My Powerlab 6 and Bantam 6 seem a lot better than what I had with safety.
Blade 130X
drdispatch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

A fellow flyer for 20 yrs was charging a 5000 mah at under 1c. He left garage to fill coffee cup came back and his work bench was on fire. The smoke so thick he said he could hardly see to put fire out. Had to hold his breath and turn everything off and remove battery into bucket (metal) to get it out side of garage. The fire had burned the entire bench top and in another minute would have been up the wall. So when charging these batteries plan what you will do in case of fire and how you will handle it.
suresharp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try to find heat resistant or fire proof stuff to charge on away from walls.

That way if one does let go nothing gets too out of hand. Isn't it terra cotta type material that's pretty heat resistant?
Blade 130X
drdispatch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I remember that fire. How are things? Back to normal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in