Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Huh? Am I not supposed to be using Lipos for my servos?

Hi Freaks!
Silly question but another thread I was reading (https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=466064&page=2) post #14 said You should not be using 2S lipos to power your DS610 servos. Is this correct? What is he talking about? What am I missing here? I have been using a 2S lipo to power my DS610's and DS 620 on my Trex since July-ish. And also using 3S lipos regulated to 6.0 volts for my DS615's and Futaba S9254 tail servo on my Goblin. I'm cornfused.

Thanks!
Ed
Spektrum DX7s
RCheliski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The are not HV servos and designed for a max of 6V. HV servos are designed to accept 8.4v of a lipo. I'd say you are asking for trouble running them as HV. That's why I am going with Torque servos in my future Goblin... so I can safely run off of a flight pack.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The DS610 isn't an HV servo so you can't run direct 2S lipo (7.4v)

However you can run 2S LiFe which is 6.6v and safe for the DS610 when running off direct 2S LiFe.

Or keep the current battery and use an regulator
777ER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Technically the DS610 isn't rated for anything over 6v. However... there are a lot of us that have been running them at straight 2s lipo for years. Oddly enough I've had one 610 servo randomly die over the last 2 years and it was always on 6v.
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. But Im kinda confused. Isnt that what BECs (or regulators) for? I either connect a 2S to an Align external BEC or I connect a 3S Lipo to a CC BEC Pro and output the voltage to 6.0v. Then that wire goes to power the receiver, which in turn powers the servos (using a step-down for the tail servos) and FBL controller, right?
How else is this done? How do you guys do it? Have I been doing it wrong all this time?
Spektrum DX7s
Old 10-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCheliski View Post
Thanks. But Im kinda confused. Isnt that what BECs (or regulators) for? I either connect a 2S to an Align external BEC or I connect a 3S Lipo to a CC BEC Pro and output the voltage to 6.0v. Then that wire goes to power the receiver, which in turn powers the servos (using a step-down for the tail servos) and FBL controller, right?
How else is this done? How do you guys do it? Have I been doing it wrong all this time?
You're actually on the right track for the regular servos. The HV servos are different in that they allow you to simplify the system by cutting out the Becs/regulators. The 2S Lipo runs straight in to the Rx which feeds the servos with the higher current. Some I'm told actually run the HV servos directly off the 2S. Apparently the HV servos last longer and perform better because of the higher voltage. Not using them myself yet.

With the CC Bec Pro, I run one off my 6S on my 550, and another off one of my 6S packs on my 600. They are rock solid. Apparently the latest V3 release can run safely off 12S.
Trex 450 Pro Night Flyer | mCPX v1 | Phoenix Sim & DX8
flybar_mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you power a receiver directly from the lipo? Do you just solder a receiver plug on the Lipo +/- wires and plug it in the receiver?
Spektrum DX7s
Old 10-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

yup
Trex 700L NEO / Mikado Logo 600SX Vbar 6.0/ Trex 470LM NEO, Oxy 2 CC Talon 25 NEO, 450 pro vbar 6.0pro/ Trex 700n DFC OS105HZR, Velocity50 Vbar 6.0pro -Oxy 5 NEO-/Trex 600efl PRO (Night Flyer) vbar/CC HV80 ......ALL VBAR CONTROL
Stevin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
How do you power a receiver directly from the lipo? Do you just solder a receiver plug on the Lipo +/- wires and plug it in the receiver?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...l-JR-Y-Harness

I use this from my LiFE battery into aux 2 and aux 3 on my AR7200

Last edited by celltech; 10-28-2012 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: sp
celltech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Just like this:
( ignore the 2.4 antenna, it has been adjusted to 90* after taking this photo)

One into the battery slot, another to a unused channel. If no unused channel available, can use a Y-harness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	361313  
777ER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Have one more question though.
Could you put a 5.1v voltage regulator between the Lipos and the receiver, so you can power non-HV servos almost directly from the Lipos? instead of using the 5.1v voltage regulator only between the receiver and tail servo?
Spektrum DX7s
Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

bro youve been running them 2s lipo with no probs and other people do as well,if your worried run a 2s life pack with no regulator,20 dollar packs and youll have no worries.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Could you put a 5.1v voltage regulator between the Lipos and the receiver, so you can power non-HV servos almost directly from the Lipos? instead of using the 5.1v voltage regulator only between the receiver and tail servo?
If you put a 5.1V step-down before the RX then you will have only 5.1V to all the servos because they draw power off the parallel buss inside the RX. The reason why you use a step-down specifically on the tail is that there are virtually no current cyclic servos that are only rated at 4.8V (nothing stopping you from running that low if you choose, but they typically accept anywhere from 6V to 9.0V).

High Voltage servos simply means they can accept up to the rated output voltage of a 2S Lipo or 8.4V. Some go as high as 9.0V, but I think that's just for overshoot. Almost any other servo will be able to run up to 6.6V without any cause for concern unless they're specifically rated at no more than 4.8V (such as tail servos).

I wouldn't doubt that in the next couple of years we'll likely see servos capable of up to 12.6V inputs since those are pretty standard on a lot of robotics. The higher the voltage (usually) the faster the servo can operate and it usually adds a pretty large amount of torque as well.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by celltech View Post
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...l-JR-Y-Harness

I use this from my LiFE battery into aux 2 and aux 3 on my AR7200
+1
Works awesome , I have switched over 2 of my 550s and will this winter take off the Castle BEC pro and do one more with a life battery,(Nothing wrong with the BEC pro,just like life battery better,and it also helps to balance cg on the 550 better)
Also a life battery is VERY stable compared to standard lipo , so never worry about leaving them in the bird,instead of feeling like I have to put them in my ammo cans with the rest of the other lipo's
I am flying 3 550s ,all with Align servo's and all with AR7200BX in them

Heli,Ed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 06:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli,Ed View Post
Also a life battery is VERY stable compared to standard lipo ,
From a chemistry standpoint yes, but from a voltage standpoint.... A little different.

They hold their voltage until the end, then it falls off a cliff. If you know and understand this, you are fine. But I have seen a couple birds go in, because they let their LIFE RX packs get to low. No warning and then the RX shuts off.

VControl, Neo, Hobbywing, Goblin 570(s)
povern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmtech View Post
Technically the DS610 isn't rated for anything over 6v. However... there are a lot of us that have been running them at straight 2s lipo for years. Oddly enough I've had one 610 servo randomly die over the last 2 years and it was always on 6v.
+1 I've been running DS610's on a 2S lipo (on multipal birds) since Burt Kammer started doing it when he still flew for align (for years). Even though they are not "rated" for it, they run very well on 8v. I've logged hundreds of flights with multipal helis running 610's @ 8v.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
bloftin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
From a chemistry standpoint yes, but from a voltage standpoint.... A little different.

They hold their voltage until the end, then it falls off a cliff. If you know and understand this, you are fine. But I have seen a couple birds go in, because they let their LIFE RX packs get to low. No warning and then the RX shuts off.
Exactly ,
I was referring to the stability (chemistry) stand point,meaning ,not have to be AS concerned about them being so volatile .Still don't take them for granted , but seems a little safer to leave in the bird's

Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli,Ed View Post
Exactly ,
I was referring to the stability (chemistry) stand point,meaning ,not have to be AS concerned about them being so volatile .Still don't take them for granted , but seems a little safer to leave in the bird's
I agree, more stable.

Also, knowing about the voltage drop off, I will be using Life for RX packs over Lipo. Safer, etc. I just will have a large safety factor, as far as MAH usage.

VControl, Neo, Hobbywing, Goblin 570(s)
povern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Have one more question though.
Yes, you can put a UBEC or regulator between the RX battery and the electronics of your heli to run them at what ever voltage you want. It is a common practice. Just get one rated for enough amps. Castle, Align, Hobbywing and several others make such devices.

This one is also an on board glow starter.

http://helidirect.com/voltage-regula...-1_1619_93.hdx
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQRT(-2) View Post
Yes, you can put a UBEC or regulator between the RX battery and the electronics of your heli to run them at what ever voltage you want. It is a common practice. Just get one rated for enough amps. Castle, Align, Hobbywing and several others make such devices.

This one is also an on board glow starter.

http://helidirect.com/voltage-regula...-1_1619_93.hdx
Not such good recommendations
That cc shown can't handle a 550 and the align 2in1 has some failure issued
If anything use a cc bec pro or a western robotics of similar output or still yet a life battery
A life battery drops to 6v quickly and stays there for a good while

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in