Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wus no more!

In a previous thread I admitted to being a wus for not trying any flips or loops, etc. Today I removed that label. My first flip became an elongated loop with a pullout about a foot above the ground. The next couple had better collective control and stayed up where they started. The last one, unfortunately, was the last one. I didn't get pulled out of the vertical dive portion soon enough and the earth got in my way - a near vertical impact. Ouch, I think I bent my feathering shaft.

I'll say one thing positive, my 65MG's held up to the crash and are not damaged at all. Except for not having any blades on hand, the rebuild will be a cinch. I was going to post photos of my broken Blade but we all know what that looks like.

Should I go and try flips and such with my un-crashed Trex 500? Nah
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

graduated to a 500 wus
newhelliguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for the crash but I know how you feel. My guinea pig is my mcpx, then my B400 then my FBL 450 pro LOL. The good news is I haven't crashed my B400 or my 450 for a long, long time. Knock on wood. Can't say the same for my mcpx though
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Except for blades and a canopy that I had to go to the lhs for, I had everything on hand to get back into the air today. Funny thing is, I initially thought the feathering shaft didn't receive any damage after plowing head first into terra-very-firma but closer inspection revealed a slight bend.

500 wus. Now that's funny. Give me some more stunt time on the 400 and then I'll bump it up to the 500, which should be easier than the Blade since it flies better.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol. Good on ya!

I'm around the same stage. I reckon I can loop now (now that I'm a bit more gentle on the collective) but still only from up high. I have the advantage of flying on the side of a hill.

Like zoolander I'm not an ambi-roller. Roll to the left and I'm good, roll to the right and it quickly spin towards mother earth.

Did get my first inverted hover on the MCpX yesterday.

Yup, reckon I'm in the wus-club - my 400 isn't going inverted for a while.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats to ya'll for the inverted hover and loops.

I can't believe you only suffered a feathering shaft bend. So overall you did really well.
InFocus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Check closely! I've never heard of a vertical auger job without much more damage. It's almost impossible to do that without bending the main shaft. On ANY crash, plan on replacing the feathering shaft, since it's almost always bent, even if you can't see it easily. Check the main drive gear and tail drive gear, as well as one way bearing. These are also usual casualties of such a crash. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I tried another flip/loop today and it totally got away from me and really tore itself apart; everything is broken, except the 65MG's. I'm going to rebuild it, starting with a new frame, but I will not ever do another flip - I'm done. I'm apparently no good at it. Plus I don't care to rebuild this thing any more.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
Congrats to ya'll for the inverted hover and loops.

I can't believe you only suffered a feathering shaft bend. So overall you did really well.
No, I busted and bent a lot of stuff. I was just saying I was shocked because it initially appeared the feathering shaft survived.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblade400 View Post
Well, I tried another flip/loop today and it totally got away from me and really tore itself apart; everything is broken, except the 65MG's. I'm going to rebuild it, starting with a new frame, but I will not ever do another flip - I'm done. I'm apparently no good at it. Plus I don't care to rebuild this thing any more.
That's gutting, sorry for your loss.

Seriously though, there's always something to learn from every crash. A bit of an internal debrief and more sim time and you'll get it.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bee is right. Since inverting my mcpx, I initially tried it on my B400 and it crashed too but the damage wasn't bad because I used throttle hold. As I remember the damage was the flybar, feathering shaft, main shaft, main gear and the stock boom. I also crashed my FBL 450 doing an inverted flight then lost my bearings and crashed. But after that with tons of practice on my phoenix and mcpx, no crash since then. I'm trying new moves now with my mpcx and sim and when I'm very good at it, I'll try the moves on my B400 and 450.

Don't give up.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Desert

Give it a try on the 500. I think you will see it is much easier like I had said in another topic of yours. Flipped my 400 today for the first time and was ok. 500 is more forgiving and quicker for me. Did my first loop, flips and rolls, plus my first inverted hovering with the 500.
TODDC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nope. my 500 has yet to crash and I intend to keep it that way 'cause if it does crash ....
Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblade400 View Post
Nope. my 500 has yet to crash and I intend to keep it that way 'cause if it does crash ....
noticed you don't have an mcpx in your arsenal. Should consider getting one LOL. It makes a world of difference for me but I know mcpx is not for everyone though.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my 400 out earlier and almost got the nerve to flip it..almost
Instead I just did pitch pumps, trying to get the feel for "catching" it. Had to be careful not to over do it (stock wood blades and servos)

Its coming though, Its gettin less scary
Old 03-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go for it! Only tip I can think of to help, is to make sure you're flying level and straight when you start the maneuver.

LOL, ditch the stock blades & servos!

You'll feel more connected with a set of hitec 65's (mg or hg). These servos will out-last the rest of the heli, so think of them as an investment.

Stock woodies are OK while learning to get her up into a low hover... much more than that and I'd really be thinking about getting some decent woodies (Align 325 Pro) or cheaper CF blades. These will make a noticeable difference, promise.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Servos and blades are on my to do list. I also have a B450 gyro and head thats going on as well.

This may sound stupid, but Im scared to turn this thing at anything higher than 75% on my IU throttle curve. It just sounds like its spinning so hard that its gonna let go..should I set it at 100% and quit being a sissy, or am I on the right track? Im using a dx6i.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crank her up

The greater head speed will give you more stability. 100-85-100 should counter act additional loading at higher pitch angles and give you a reasonably constant rpm.

PS. IMHO I'd get a GY401 rather than the Eflite gyro. But maybe that's just me. Worth a little research.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The GY401 is the superior gyro no doubt, but I already have the G210. Its gotta be better than the G110. I plan on possibly going FBL (it would be cheaper to convert rather than buy another heli) and the money Id spend on the 401 would go a long way towards a FBL unit.

I'll crank it up to 100%....and stand waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back LOL!
I feel like I got one more good crash in it now that Im getting it back out, so I'll wait till that happens before I go swapping parts.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL. Fair enough. Happy flying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in