Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gens Ace

Decided to give Gens Ace a try. Got 3 2200 3s 30c for my 450. I am impressed so far.

They have quite a bit more punch than the Sky lipos that I have been running.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I really like Gens Ace too, I just wish they had a better size selection.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to know,The nano 4s that I have are not impressing me on my pro..I think I will try these next..Thanks Tim..
Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755 robert View Post
Good to know,The nano 4s that I have are not impressing me on my pro..I think I will try these next..Thanks Tim..
The 30c have larger guage wires than the 25c. I think they also tend to under rate the C number. The sky's I have been running tend to be overrated.

The 30c Gens has way more punch than the 40c Sky and the Gens have not been broken in yet.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both the Gens and the Sky that are about a year old, and they feel very much the same to me?

Mine are the 25C gens, and the 40C sky, both about the same price too?

I will have to try the 30C gens and see if they are better!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree with Jay on this one. I own both in 3300 6S sizes (40C Sky and 25C Gens) on either a 500 class or a couple different 600 class machines. Both feel the same to me and the logs show that niether is pushing more power than the other, so I think the Gens are a little more hyped up than they should be (but that is not at all to say that they aren't good either). I'm also comparing them to a set of Punch RC 3300 50C's which are beat to heck and starting to puff but still give up more amperage in a flight with similar voltage drops on all three brands.

As to the smaller size packs in either a 450 Pro or SE, I found the regular Turnigy 2200 3S to be the best so far. I had both 25C and 35C and the higher rating seemed warranted on the 35's. However, I think the 25C's lasted longer. Eventually they all died around 2 years old, so not too bad considering how poorly I took care of them. I still have a couple in use. I can't say I've torture tested the Gens as long, but they seem to be on par with anything else out there. You definitely aren't going to beat the performance for the price! Keep in mind too that a lot of times people compare a brand-new battery to an older, used one. So not always apples to apples.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had really good luck with the Turnigy nanos and still have a few that continue to perform well even after 100 cycles and a year and a half old.

I just got really tired of paying the high shipping and waiting a month to get them. Now they have tacked on an import duty to the total cost.

Bunch of communists! Lol.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It actually depends on the batch, my experience is sky lipos are better.

I bought some 30C 3000 6s Sky Lipos 1 year ago which are awsome, totally 7m Ohms for 6 cells. Still less than 15m Ohms/6cells after 40 flights.

I also bought some 25C 3300 6s Gens Ace Lipos 6-8months ago which are not as good as Sky lipos. They start at 13m Ohms/6cells and after about 25 flights they are average 24m Ohms/6cells

I orderd some the same 25C 3300 6s Gens Ace Lipos recently which are as good as sky lipos, 7m Ohms/6cells after break in.

All internal resistances are measured with the same Hyperion Duo3 500W+500W charger.

You can feel the difference too. I flew them on the same 500. all running 100% flat curve for 4 mins. The sky lipos are just feaking awsome. After flight you can put more mAh back into the sky lipos than the Gens Ace, because they have less internal impedance and willing to discharge more!

Again, the Sky Lipos are just awsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkerjet View Post
Decided to give Gens Ace a try. Got 3 2200 3s 30c for my 450. I am impressed so far.

They have quite a bit more punch than the Sky lipos that I have been running.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still run the sky's on my 500. 2650 6s 40c and am having good results. You may be right about a bad batch on the 2200's.

A friend recently ordered 3 new 2200 sky's and 2 of the 3 developed a bad cell in less than 10 cycles. Something wrong with this picture.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bought some Sky 6S 2650 40C last summer and got about 75 flights on them before the IR went crazy on a few cells in each of the packs pretty close in time to each other. Was hoping to get more than 75 cycles on them. I also bought some similar size Voltz at the same time that are still strong. First of the year I bought some 6S 5000 Sky and 5300 Gens and they are all starting to fail now. The Thunder Power 5000's still are like new and have more cycles than the Gens Ace. I am also trying some Turnigy Nano 3300's 6S 45C right now but they are new so can't speak to longevity on those yet. Very disappointed with the quality of the Gens Ace and Sky in the batches I bought this year. Some failed after 20 flights.

Goblin 770 Comp, XXtreme 800, XXtreme 700, Kraken 580, TRex 450 Dominator, GooSky S2, Futaba CGY760's and 32MZ
gadawg58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkerjet View Post
I still run the sky's on my 500. 2650 6s 40c and am having good results. You may be right about a bad batch on the 2200's.

A friend recently ordered 3 new 2200 sky's and 2 of the 3 developed a bad cell in less than 10 cycles. Something wrong with this picture.
Although I haven't experienced any bad cells yet, I purchased some 3S/2200/25C Sky's, and I don't consider them a good deal - in order to keep voltages within normal limits, these are only 4-minutes batteries, as opposed to my e-flights (four came with my used heli...) that run 6 minutes to the same level.

Perhaps it is the too-low C rating, but the Sky's come down at 11.2volts, and I put 1100mah back into them. The e-flights come down at 11.2volts and I put 1500mah back into them. If I run the Skys to 5 or 6 minutes, the voltages drop way off.

The interesting thing is the Sky's will show remaining capacity after flight as approx 20%, so the numbers appear to be correct....except that they appear to have way less capacity than they're rated for.

I have a 40C Gens Ace to try this weekend...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Might be a similar type of issue I have encountered with a few Sky packs ... the packs seem fine, IR is fine, not swollen, and they seem to take a charge but as I fly them the available power drops off really fast and the pack feels dead after a minute or two but yet the pack still has voltage left and I can only put back say 50% of the charge before the pack is fully charged again. Had this happen to 1 Sky pack after 8 flights. I'm beginning to think they are having Q/A issues with their product. Hope they get it straightened out.

Goblin 770 Comp, XXtreme 800, XXtreme 700, Kraken 580, TRex 450 Dominator, GooSky S2, Futaba CGY760's and 32MZ
gadawg58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My Gens Ace packs have been the best lipos I have ever owned yet.. and that's after many different brands and many many lipos over the previous 4 years.

I currently own eight 6s4000mah packs and five 6s5300mah packs.. and they are now going onto their second season like they are new.

I believe this will be the first year ever I will not have to buy new lipos!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone try the new gen ace 5300 mah/ 60-120c packs yet.
I have 30c packs, like it, can't wait to try out the new 60C packs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in