Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Getting carbon tails painted to match the canopy.

Let’s say I have black CF tail fins that I want painted to match a color on my canopy. Is there a company out there that will do that? I’d like to send them the fins and canopy to match with.
Thanks!
NickBee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Canopy is already painted and you want to try to match the tail? What heli is it for? If i have the parts and you dont find a pro i 'll do it by photo when im doing my next canopy and see what you think. Your actually not that far.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It would be for this canopy:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

And these tails:
http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Stab-Fin.../dp/B004PNXOSS

I would be ok with shipping both out since these will be upgrades to the stuff I am using now.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have the parts. The paint I have for it would be a bit brighter, judging from the photo, so it wouldn't be an exact match. Let me know though if you would like me to give it a go. I would just need to do it while I'm working on mine so i don't waste a mix on something that small.

Also if your just looking for a yellow to orange fade without the graphics you might be surprised how easy it is with a rattle can. Just need some white, yellow neon, red or orange neon and clear for a very visible tail.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

the effect I'm going after is what Mikado did on their 600sx. I'd like the tails to match one of the bright colors on the canopy.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would ether of these be close enough?

OR

OR bring out the yellow in the canopy

http://helidirect.com/blade-450-c-1_30_314_1846.hdx

For $5.50 ea I would be tempted to grab a couple and see how they look. These hold up well, I have had similar on my Trex for two years.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQRT(-2) View Post
Would ether of these be close enough?

OR

OR bring out the yellow in the canopy

http://helidirect.com/blade-450-c-1_30_314_1846.hdx

For $5.50 ea I would be tempted to grab a couple and see how they look. These hold up well, I have had similar on my Trex for two years.

These look like a good find! BUT!!!! Blade in their "pain in the ass-ness" made the carbon / aluminum boom parts with different hole patterns than the stock stuff (which I'm sure these are drilled to). So I would have to down-grade parts to use these. So that was my motivation to see if anyone here can do custom painting to the carbon fins.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's really quite easy to paint your own I recently painted the CF tail fin on my T-Rex 500 using a rattle-can of Halfords (a UK chain of auto parts stores) own-brand car paint. I started by rubbing it down quickly with a sanding sponge, then sprayed a coat of plastic primer and sanded it down. Then a quick finish-coat of Ford Daytona yellow.

I then got a bit ambitious and did the tail fin on my 550 in a Union Jack design to match a canopy I'd done. Again it was sanded and primed with car primer, but then I painted the design with water-based acrylic paint using my airbrush. I then airbrushed clear varnish over the finished design.

Adhesion appears to be good on both of these, though I haven't really abused them since I painted them.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have an airbrush set up it can be quiet easy. You can go to your nearest paint shop and look through their colour swabs and get them to mix and match a small quantity. Two pack auto paints are the way to go as they are hard and durable and have superior gloss the same as the factory finish on the canopy. Yeah if you know someone with a paint tinting system such as a smash repair shop may do it cheap.
woodsy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in