Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Soldering BEC to ESC

I've always had someone else do my major soldering but am going to do myself this go-round. I'm trying to figure out the best way to solder my Hercules mini g2 BEC (pre-tinned wires) to my CC Phoenix Edge 130A ESC. I'll be running 6S and using an EC5 battery connector. I've hit on 4 methods and would like to know the best method.
  1. Strip some of the ESC's wire just up from the EC5 battery connector (both positive and negative). Lay the mini g2's pre-tinned wires down on top of the ESC's exposed wire. Solder this connection and cover with heat shrink.
  2. Strip some of the ESC's wire just up from the EC5 battery connector (both positive and negative). Poke a hole in each ESC wire and insert the pre-tinned mini g2 wires into each hole. Solder and cover with heat shrink.
  3. Strip some of the ESC's wire just up from the EC5 battery connector (both positive and negative). Cut the pre-tinned tips off the mini-g2 wires. Fray the wire and twist/wrap around the exposed ESC wires. Solder and cover with heat shrink.
  4. Strip some of the ESC's wire just up from the EC5 battery connector (both positive and negative). Cut the pre-tinned tips off the mini-g2 wires. Poke a hole in each ESC wire and run the mini g2 wires through the holes then twist/wrap around the exposed wire. Solder and cover with heat shrink.
Method 1 seems like it would be very easy to accidently pull apart. Methods 2 and 4 seem to lessen the integrity of the ESC wires, which are carrying all of the power. Method 3 seems to lessen the integrity of the BEC's wires, though since the BEC is stepping down anyway, maybe it doesn't matter. I'm simply trying to get a connection that won't pull apart, but that also will have no problems carrying the current load.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you can re-do the EC5s, I would say solder the leads from the ESC and the BEC together in the bullet, then seat the connector back in the EC5 housing. I don't use those, so not sure it can even be done. I do that with CC 6.5mm bullets, but they are bigger I believe.

I frequently don't solder the lead directly, I use short pieces of wire and put connector(s) on it and the leads from the BEC, so it can be easily replaced or moved to another setup.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in