Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2016, 03:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by holytrex View Post
It's just a matter of getting just a tad off so it can seat right..
And I have also applied a little heat to the gears as they spin... With a heat gun.....

And that does a good job of getting rid of the intended rough spots in the mesh of the gears.... But it's just my opinion....

I guess I just like to look further into the problem. From having an engineer type background...

But of course you don't wanna take to much off so it doesn't utilize the means of the bearings... Duh.
All good - just puzzled as to why it's needed - I've not had an issue with the stock parts.
EjectEjectEject is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just cause of what the. OP has said and that I have also had experience with the same problem...
So I was just expressing what I have done...

But I'm glad it has worked out for you...
holytrex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just cause of what the. OP has said and that I have also had experience with the same problem...
So I was just expressing what I have done...

But I'm glad it has worked out for you...
That's cool - not trying to criticise. I just wasn't sure if people were realising that these are in essence a press fit. The "problem" is only in the last fraction of a millimeter and it appears to be because people are trying to press these on with just "muscle power" rather than using a bit of mechanical leverage.

If they let the jaws of a vice loosely support the bearing side it's actually quite easy to pop a piece of wood on top and just tap it gently fully into place with a hammer.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

If that works for you great..But I ain't taking a hammer to anything on my bird's... I preference a more subtle solution..
Michael bacon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2016, 12:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EjectEjectEject View Post
That's cool - not trying to criticise. I just wasn't sure if people were realising that these are in essence a press fit. The "problem" is only in the last fraction of a millimeter and it appears to be because people are trying to press these on with just "muscle power" rather than using a bit of mechanical leverage.

If they let the jaws of a vice loosely support the bearing side it's actually quite easy to pop a piece of wood on top and just tap it gently fully into place with a hammer.
You are very right For sure.... I just know that if that Bearing race get's out of it's shape in any way.... it could defeat the bearings Job in being truly Round..... But i just like to think of it as a more Tech Way....Just cause i'm on SSI and like to think of other ways to FIX or MOD My Birds....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael bacon View Post
If that works for you great..But I ain't taking a hammer to anything on my bird's... I preference a more subtle solution..
I will Agree on that as well

I like to "seat" all my Gears with HEAT... It works Great But They Gotta stay moving... And then it's like they just came FRESH out of the Mold again......And Smooth like a Baby's Butt...LOL
Old 01-30-2016, 12:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You are very right For sure.... I just know that if that Bearing race get's out of it's shape in any way.... it could defeat the bearings Job in being truly Round..... But i just like to think of it as a more Tech Way....Just cause i'm on SSI and like to think of other ways to FIX or MOD My Birds....

I will Agree on that as well

I like to "seat" all my Gears with HEAT... It works Great But They Gotta stay moving... And then it's like they just came FRESH out of the Mold again......And Smooth like a Baby's Butt...LOL
Guys - honestly - you're over-thinking this waaaay too much.

To illustrate the point I made an 7 second video of all it takes to seat the gear correctly. The parts are already speced just fine - they really don't need sanding and/or heat. Nor do they need belting with a big hammer or anything else that's going to damage the bearing. There are many things on helis that need a tap or two from a small hammer to seat properly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2g...ew?usp=sharing
Old 01-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice. Thanks for that quick video clip. Pretty much sums it up.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Olson View Post
Nice. Thanks for that quick video clip. Pretty much sums it up.
No worries Ed - glad to help.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Guys - honestly - you're over-thinking this waaaay too much.

To illustrate the point I made an 7 second video of all it takes to seat the gear correctly. The parts are already speced just fine - they really don't need sanding and/or heat. Nor do they need belting with a big hammer or anything else that's going to damage the bearing. There are many things on helis that need a tap or two from a small hammer to seat properly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2g...ew?usp=sharing
That's awesome Brotha...... Thanks for your wise words....

You have summed it all up...... Thank you

But. To. Each Their. Own.....
Old 02-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So a quick update here. I have flown a handful of times since noticing this issue. Last night I went out for an 11pm night flight and upon spooling up I noticed the sound was gone and the heads spins freely without any friction or snags.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Olson View Post
So a quick update here. I have flown a handful of times since noticing this issue. Last night I went out for an 11pm night flight and upon spooling up I noticed the sound was gone and the heads spins freely without any friction or snags.
What did you eventually do to fix this problem? Tapping it in with a hammer? I toon have this gear problem, tried the KDE update with the shim, but to no result.
Flowers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nothing. It seated itself after a while. Until today when I turned it into a lawn dart.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers View Post
What did you eventually do to fix this problem? Tapping it in with a hammer? I toon have this gear problem, tried the KDE update with the shim, but to no result.
Usually it just comes down to basics - these things are made to very tight tolerances and you really shouldn't need other kits to get it to work.

Realistically, if the issue is confined to binding on the front umbrella gear then it can only be 1 of 2 things - either something stuck in the mesh or the horizontal gear isn't seated correctly. Even 0.5mm out will make a difference.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Usually it just comes down to basics - these things are made to very tight tolerances and you really shouldn't need other kits to get it to work.

Realistically, if the issue is confined to binding on the front umbrella gear then it can only be 1 of 2 things - either something stuck in the mesh or the horizontal gear isn't seated correctly. Even 0.5mm out will make a difference.
I think you are correct. I'm going to check it again to be sure it sits 100% correctly. I keep thinking that this binding together with a too high gain setting is the reason I strip these umbrella gears. Thanks for the input. I'll keep you informed!
Flowers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers View Post
I think you are correct. I'm going to check it again to be sure it sits 100% correctly. I keep thinking that this binding together with a too high gain setting is the reason I strip these umbrella gears. Thanks for the input. I'll keep you informed!
You're welcome.

Not sure how you manage to strip them - I've only ever broken 1 tooth after I bounced an auto. Other that that, no other issues on the 550. Changed quite a few on the 450, but only as a result of crashes.

They do get quite loose after a while, but I've never had a set let go (yet).
Old 02-16-2016, 02:54 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
You're welcome.

Not sure how you manage to strip them - I've only ever broken 1 tooth after I bounced an auto. Other that that, no other issues on the 550. Changed quite a few on the 450, but only as a result of crashes.

They do get quite loose after a while, but I've never had a set let go (yet).
If you lose the antirotation pin - so that you are yawing uncontrollably in the air. When you hit the ground and the tail hits first and stops moving, even with TH on, you'll strip them...

Ask me how I know...

I think I ended up with 1 tooth on each gear.

Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2016, 02:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloFCantoni View Post
If you lose the antirotation pin - so that you are yawing uncontrollably in the air. When you hit the ground and the tail hits first and stops moving, even with TH on, you'll strip them...

Ask me how I know...

I think I ended up with 1 tooth on each gear.

Paolo
I've had mine pop out of the guide before flight a few times - luckily I've picked it up when I realised that it needed an abnormal amount of collective to get off the ground (if that's what you're meaning?) (not sure - can't see that causing yawing).
Old 02-16-2016, 03:09 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
I've had mine pop out of the guide before flight a few times - luckily I've picked it up when I realised that it needed an abnormal amount of collective to get off the ground (if that's what you're meaning?) (not sure - can't see that causing yawing).
I lost the pin in mid-flight - about 2 mins in. Once the swash is rotating with the main shaft, you can't provide any counter-yaw so the heli starts spinning - the gyro is, by now, awfully confused!. I think I was spinning for about 3 secs under power before I realised it was a lost cause and cut the power and tried unsuccessfully (as one would expect) to auto in. You can't really auto a yawing heli - you need good control of the flight surfaces at the best of times. I've only managed one by accident on a 450X.

Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is mine - off memory it's got one shim in there at the moment.
Since a couple of flights my T-rex 550 DFC Pro developed a strange noise when I fly backward-circles or funnels. I played with a lot of settings on the beastX and wasn't able to get rid of it. The umbrella gear setup has quite some play so there is the idea that the noise comes from that end. Would it help to insert a shim ? What size ? Or is it a better idea to change the umbrella gear ? Any help would be appreciated. If somebody want's to listen to the strange sound I can send a mp3 ! By the way, the problem is just an acoustic one, the tail holds pretty good !
hubmod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes...a sound bite is in order. What settings did you change? If its a flutter then turn your gain down a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in