Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default P500 Chicken dance from Hell.

Got a carbon P500 that on occasion on spool-down does a chicken dance from hell that has stripped the first set of cyclics I put in it.
I installed new JR DS3717's in it and the first couple of flights went well, then it done it again yesterday. It never does it on spool-up, flys great, but on spool-down, I have 3 flat throt curves N, 1, 2..I always stay at zero thrust after landing and flip hold on. I never move pitch down until it's about stopped. Vibe download from Brain 2 shows no vibes even close to being an issue. Pitch set at 11.5, Cyclic at about 10. I installed a true metal gear servo to eliminate the stripping but yesterday broke 2 servo arms (plastic) when it went ape-shit on spool-down. It happens at a point about half way between norm HS and stopped..
Any insight??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

resonance?
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

some blades cause weird resonance that can't be solved otherwise. first make sure tracking is spot on and the blades are perfectly balanced. otherwise, try different blades.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might have your blades TOO LOOSE so they start flapping when the traction / power is cut ( shut-down).

I fly Protos 500 and the blades need to be pretty tight. In fact .. soo tight that it is very difficult to move them. Forget the voices that tell you that they should be kinda' loose.. WRONG!!!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I tightened the main blade bolts a bit and I "think" that was it. 2 flights out front with several landings and spool-downs with no problem.
I hope that was it.
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade550X View Post
I tightened the main blade bolts a bit and I "think" that was it. 2 flights out front with several landings and spool-downs with no problem.
I hope that was it.
Thanks!
Goooodd!. They should almost be totally rigid so much so that it takes good effort to adjust them. I am assuming you will have the same requirement for your Protos 700.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It shouldn't be anywhere near as tight as on a 700. Otherwise they won't be able to fling out when it gets up to headspeed.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a lot of force when up to speed. You'd have to make them very tight indeed to prevent centering.

I think Harry's point is that the typical "loose enough they move when you shake the heli" advice common on micros is too loose. I feel victim to the same advice and had problems with both spooling up and spooling down. Tightening them down till they require some effort to move fixed it.
cquillen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes there is a lot of force when up to speed, but if they are too tight the head will have to be turning very fast before they fling out, and vibrating all the while until it gets there...
Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

According to Brain Vibe scan it's about 1000rpm. It does it just a tad on spool up but about twice as bad on spool down-as far as vibes show but just at limit and it's transitioning through that spot and settles down to a very acceptable level.
I believe I can live with it.
p.s. never had an issue with the 700, 770 or 800...smooth as silk.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My general rule of thumb is to have the main blades tight enough that when heli spools up the blades perfectly straightens (from hand-straighten which almost never gets it perfect) by around half the flying headspeed (or half of the spool up time period). You should notice the slight vibration suddenly goes away at around half the flying headspeed. If perfectly straightened too soon blades are too loose. If perfectly straightened almost at full flying headspeed blades are too tight.

Also check if the belt is too tight in which case it acts like brakes to shift loose main blades off perfectly straightened positions on spool down. Plus also check main rotor for even slight out-of-balance which will also cause chicken dance on spool down even though it seems to fly fine.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had a set of revolution 425s that worked fine on the black dampers. put on a set of red dampers and I stripped out 2 servos on two separate spoolups. it just got this shudder at about 1000 RPM, like you said.

I put on another set of the same blades and it was fine. I think the 500 is so light it is super sensitive to balance. Balance and CG your blades and see how it goes.

FWIW, I ended up balancing and CG'ing the 'shudder set' and they worked fine. But, I kept them as a backup set since they were ugly now with balance tape all over them.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquillen View Post
There is a lot of force when up to speed. You'd have to make them very tight indeed to prevent centering.

I think Harry's point is that the typical "loose enough they move when you shake the heli" advice common on micros is too loose. I feel victim to the same advice and had problems with both spooling up and spooling down. Tightening them down till they require some effort to move fixed it.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

One more suggestion. If you use blades with a spacer on the blade grips you will find that they can be tightened up more ( they are just smoother when you move them by hand ). Blades that are just stuck in the grips without spacers seem to have a little more resistance and should be run a little looser.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy_71 View Post
FWIW, I ended up balancing and CG'ing the 'shudder set' and they worked fine. But, I kept them as a backup set since they were ugly now with balance tape all over them.
I use clear packing tape to balance my blades that need quite some weight. More than a foot away I won't notice the tape.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in