Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate

Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Compass Atom 6HV, 6HVU and 550 Ultimate Model Helicopter Discussion

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that I have my pitch set to +-13 degrees. I will be setting it back down to +-12 degrees and upping the HS to 2350 just like FlyBri.

Was going to test the 550U with the updated settings and the new lipos today but the outside temps dropped again and it is too windy.
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beginning a rebuild, and want to disassemble the OWB as you have. A question I have is did you repack the OWB with silicone grease or is this necessary before reassembly?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
I will leave it as is with the tiny bit of slop (less than an mm from the looks of it). The delrin main gear is indeed beefy just like the ones on the 7HVU and Chronos... Never had a problem with those too. Haven't had the need to replace them even after a crash.

I decided to go ahead and use ATF on the OWB. To do this I disassembled the main gear / belt pulley and removed the hub. I then soaked the hub in isopropyl alcohol and also used a nylon tipped swab to scrub the insides of the OWB clear of factory grease:

I am currently soaking the OWB and the sleeve in ATF as pictured below. Will let the part sit in ATF while I now get started with the build proper... Step 1 appears to be the head assembly from perusing the manual.

EDIT: To ensure ATF gets inside the housing of the needle bearings in the OWB I also repeated the following process a couple of times: Insert the ATF soaked sleeve inside the ATF soaked OWB and rotate it a few times. Remove the sleeve, soak both sleeve and OWB in ATF and repeat.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdavis007 View Post
Beginning a rebuild, and want to disassemble the OWB as you have. A question I have is did you repack the OWB with silicone grease or is this necessary before reassembly?
Thanks
I removed the factory grease by dipping the OWB assembly in isopropyl alcohol and also using a nylon tipped swab dipped in isopropyl. I then dip the OWB assembly and sleeve in ATF, let it sit for a couple of minutes before assembly.

This procedure (removing factory grease and lubing with ATF) is optional but I have done it when building/re-building all my Compass helis (Atom -> Chronos). The X3 OWB is too delicate to perform this operation successfully. ATF for OWB has also been recommended in this recent thread on the main forums.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbest View Post
Sorry to hear you guys putting them in. My 6hvu is the largerst heli I've ever owned or flown, & I've only done so a few times. Just recently got her in the air. It flies great, it really does. Awesome. I've crashed my smaller helis literally a thousand times, but I just can't stopping thinking about how I would feel putting something this big (& beautiful) in. I guess if it were my beater I wouldn't mind so much, but it's not. Had it all charged up the other day ready to fly. Started thinking about crashing her, next thing I know I was putting my batteries on storage charge & putting her back on the shelf.....
NOOOoooooohhhhh!!
Old 12-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 550U low head speed flying with 3S lipos

I had a couple of 3S 3300mah 35C lipos lying around not being used as I haven't flown my FPV quad in a long time. I decided to build a deans to EC5 adapter / parallel harness so I can use two of them at a time to power the 550U for low head speed flying.

With the two 3S lipos the 550U was a bit tail heavy but flew very well nonetheless. I estimate the head speed with the 3S lipos to be around 1400-1500 rpm. It piros extremely well despite the cg being biased to the rear. The tail also held very well... I was doing slow motion punch outs, rainbows, aileron tic tocs, and funnels and the tail was locked in.

EDIT: I was getting 6 - 7 minute low head speed flights on 2 x 3300 mah lipos.

Pic showing the 3S parallel harness / deans to EC5 adapter... I positioned the lipos as far forward as possible but the cg was still biased towards the rear... No problems in flight though:

Size comparison between Pulse 6S 5000 mah 65C and 2 x 3S 3300 35C lipos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	4535
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	683019   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	683020  
Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice! I love flying low head speed. The sound the blades make is awesome
dominator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes the lower the head speed the nicer it sounds. I am also thinking the lower combined weight of the 3S lipos (compared to 6S) might make the 550U auto better.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finally found the time to upgrade the Savox cyclic servos to MKS on the 550U. The Savox were getting hot flying during the summer plus I also can't fully tune out porpoising on full collective loops. I got these on sale at Amain when they had their Black Friday sale last year.

Ah Clem likes this.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:58 AM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cyclo, what a great thread! Thanks a lot for taking the time for all the detailed posts.

And then those great pictures! I can't wait to start working on my new used 6HV-U, taking it all apart and reassembling it! And going through this thread made my anticipation even bigger! I'll certainly review each step here a couple of times during the (re-)build.
Hobee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobee View Post
Cyclo, what a great thread! Thanks a lot for taking the time for all the detailed posts.

And then those great pictures! I can't wait to start working on my new used 6HV-U, taking it all apart and reassembling it! And going through this thread made my anticipation even bigger! I'll certainly review each step here a couple of times during the (re-)build.
Thanks Hobee... I'm glad you like the thread. Congrats on your 6HVU I am sure you will like it. My 550U is still going strong and has become the primary workhorse heli of my fleet after the demise of my Atom 500. It flies real well, is tough and reliable.

Below is a pic I took last Sunday... 550U with the Chronos and X3. I always take the 550U with me.

Ah Clem likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in