Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis

Thunder Tiger Electric Helis Mini Titan E325, Raptor E550 and E620 SE Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need advice about front tail-drive brass gear in E360

Had the boom shift backward on flight #46 of one of my E360s and lose tail rudder. TH and dumped her in soft grass. I had to replace the "front tail drive gear set" which includes the brass gear that is driven off the main gear. Everything comes disassembled in the packaging. I inserted the supplied jesus pin in the brass gear to lock it to the shaft, got everything back together, and headed out for a flight.

Smooth spool-up, everything looked good. I go inverted and suddenly lose tail rudder. TH and dump her in the grass, yet again, though I being much lower to the ground than last time, I lose the feathering shaft, main shaft, main gear, etc. etc.

Post-mortem analysis reveals that the jesus pin in the brass gear was ejected and nowhere to be found. Holy c***.

I literally have no idea why this happened. The pin inserted smoothly and both ends were flush with the gear assembly. What did I do wrong? I'm at a loss to explain.

What really annoys me too is the need for a second $14 carbon fiber rear fin and a "hardened" replacement main shaft. I guess those 350mm blades do have quite a bit of inertia even when TH is hit.
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail drive gear sets have always come pre-assembled when I have replaced mine.
Thats really bad your pin popped out. I have seen on other parts of the heli that there is a plastic band around the jesus pin.
I dont know the answer but would see if you can maybe put some heatshrink around the pin and maybe a bit of loctite to seal it in.
I would complain to TT too as this seems to be either a quality control fault or bad design.
The ones Ive had pre-assembled are very difficult to remove this pin. I tried once and failed.

Hope you have better luck with your heli from now on, once this problem is sorted.

for ref:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAFUZ&P=7 (belt)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBBDF&P=7 (TT)
nickyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyd View Post
The tail drive gear sets have always come pre-assembled when I have replaced mine.
Thats really bad your pin popped out. I have seen on other parts of the heli that there is a plastic band around the jesus pin.
I dont know the answer but would see if you can maybe put some heatshrink around the pin and maybe a bit of loctite to seal it in.
I would complain to TT too as this seems to be either a quality control fault or bad design.
The ones Ive had pre-assembled are very difficult to remove this pin. I tried once and failed.

Hope you have better luck with your heli from now on, once this problem is sorted.

for ref:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAFUZ&P=7 (belt)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBBDF&P=7 (TT)

I'll definitely contact TT and see what they say.

Here is the version for the E360 - very different from the ones above:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAAU&P=7

I still have no idea what the bundled screw is for. I'm really concerned that the problem will recur with the second kit that I ordered during the repair.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My pin was starting to come out but I caught it early. I cut I small piece of shrink tubing with two holes for the pin. Then when I installed the gear I rotated the shrink tubing 90 degrees to offset the goes from the pin and shrunk it on. Hopefully it holds but I am still diagnosing a tail wag issue so I have only hovered with this fix. Good thing the wag happened as it is the reason I noticed the problem.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem
Here is the version for the E360 - very different from the ones above:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAAU&P=7

I still have no idea what the bundled screw is for. I'm really concerned that the problem will recur with the second kit that I ordered during the repair.

I have the schematic and it implies the brass gear end of the shaft is tapped which would accommodate the 2 x 5 set screw, thereby stabilizing the pin. Sure looks like a nifty method of securing the gear/pin except the two I have on hand aren’t tapped. Perhaps they changed their mind after producing the schematic.
Anyway… I just applied a pin drop of thread lock into the hole on the shaft, lined up the brass gear and inserted the pin. Using this method I have never had any issues with disembarking pins…
Power Up is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Follow Up: In the event a Mini T V2 T-Tube user stumbles across this thread and is having the above issue keeping the pin intact, the schematic I referred to in my previous post is correct. The shaft is tapped and the 2 x 5 set screw will secure the pin once installed.

The photo in the above link is incorrect; there is no head on the set screw. Requires a 0.9mm driver and is completely encased within the shaft once seated.

My originals slipped through QC with the shaft un-tapped. Led to a little confusion…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Tail Drive Gear Set.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	565682  
Power Up is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Up View Post
Follow Up: In the event a Mini T V2 T-Tube user stumbles across this thread and is having the above issue keeping the pin intact, the schematic I referred to in my previous post is correct. The shaft is tapped and the 2 x 5 set screw will secure the pin once installed.

The photo in the above link is incorrect; there is no head on the set screw. Requires a 0.9mm driver and is completely encased within the shaft once seated.

My originals slipped through QC with the shaft un-tapped. Led to a little confusion…
Yup, my LHS figured it out and thankfully no problems since. Only 0.9mm driver he had was part of a $50 set. FleaBay came through and I think I paid $8 or $9 - smallest driver I've ever used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in