Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ready to buy FPV gear for my 450 pro v2, advice pls!

Was thinking about ordering this with the WDR770 camera, Any advice on quality of video rx/tx?

http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?m...products_id=22

Would i be better off with a different video rx/tx for my 450 heli?
aForcefulThrust is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im reading about this stuff too right now and I think cell phones will interfere with 900 mhz .

Im looking at either 1.3 Ghz or 5.8 Ghz since I use a 2.4 Ghz Spektrum radio .
steve28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would stick to 5.8. 900 definitely would be an issue.
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

any particular reason you wouldnt go with 1.3 Ghz ?
steve28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 900 system that works pretty well. Just don't fly it around cell phone towers. I read somewhere that having your 3g cell phone in your pocket would interfere with your signal. I have not found that to be the case at all. 900mhz does great for low flying in and around buildings and such. I can drive my Traxxas truck with a camera around to the street behind me with my antenna in my living room. It gets fuzzy when I'm going through several walls and a hill at one time but it penetrates. Out in the open on a heli, my limit is my RC 2.4 radio. I'm sure this depends on your area and what's around you. I have been thinking about switching to 1.3mhz and try that band out. It's also a low band that I would think may do well around objects.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What you read about FPV and what actually works in the field is often contradicting. Any seriousFPV pilot who cares about his rig should definitely delete 2.4 for control in favor of 72mhz (or 35mHz if that's legal in yourcountry). This is NOT a step backwards.

I would not recommend 5.8 for newcomers to FPV - it's still be developed - it's VERY finicky and doesn't penetrate objects well - in my view, 5.8 is for pilots who have already gained some experience with FPV.

Sentry : FPVLAB.COM

Last edited by SENTRY 62; 02-28-2012 at 11:27 AM..
SENTRY 62 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had no issues with 900Mhz at all. Im guessing you have to be pretty near to a cell tower for it to be an issue and 900 has a ton more penetrating power through objects than the other frequencies and the range is far further than your 2.4Ghz transmitter will allow.

I use a saw filter on my vRx and and a low pass filter on my vTx and fly my quad on 2.4 with virtually no issues...
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

@sl4ppy
What's the difference between a low pass filter and a saw filter?

Could you please post a link as to where you got your saw filter from?

I too fly with 2.4 with not much issues, unless I go past 800meters.

But of all my Vtxs my 5.8 500mw is the best - blasting my 1.2 800mw and 900 500mw vtxs out of the water in terms of range and signal strength.
heliaddx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

A low pass filter helps reduce interference from spurious transmissions that could cause decreased range of 2.4GHz RC systems, servo twitching, or reduced reception of GPS signals. The low pass filter goes on the vTx

A saw filter increases range and performance and is in the vRx.

Saw Filter:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=468

Low Pass filter:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=493

You may get better range with 5.8, but it wont penetrate trees, etc., very well if at all. Not to mention, and iirc, 5.8 requires a HAM license in the US.
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info!

With regards to the 5.8 - that what I thought too initially until I tested it.

All systems were ground tested - with the route starting from our field, through a dirt road path with tall grass on the sides and a huge warehouse building on the side, past the guard house with huge trees, onto the street where the car goes around the block with the huge warehouse and a few other buildings blocking the signal.

Bothe the 900Mhz and 1.2Ghz had patch antennas whilst the 5.8Ghz was just using stock antennas.

The 5.8Ghz gave the best signal, object penetration and range.

I was amazed.

I'll see if I can find the test videos and post them here.
heliaddx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another thing to consider is whether you will be using an OSD with a GPS later on, which is always a good idea.

I have read that 900 and 1.3 will interfere with the GPS and prevent reliable signal locking so if you are using 2.4 radio and will be going with OSD, 5.8 is the way to go.

I have a 5.8 500mW transmitter and the quality is great, no problems other than occasional minor interference. However, I have not range tested it yet but it is said to have about 2-3 km of range with stock antenna. Here is the link http://www.foxtechfpv.com/58g-500mw-...xrx-p-246.html
kdrcguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in