Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First real crash today.

It's long overdue but I had my first crash on the 450 today, due to mech failure. The tail let go because the tail slider bushing unscrewed.

The tail sounded funny for 1 second and then it just started to piro like mad. I hit TH and tried to keep it level. It came down hard and broke the landing gear but everything else looks ok.

All the piroflip practice really helped to keep the disk level. My collective management still needs some work before I try autos though. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444509796538.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	613432  
mike_drz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_drz View Post
It's long overdue but I had my first crash on the 450 today, due to mech failure. The tail let go because the tail slider bushing unscrewed.

The tail sounded funny for 1 second and then it just started to piro like mad. I hit TH and tried to keep it level. It came down hard and broke the landing gear but everything else looks ok.

All the piroflip practice really helped to keep the disk level. My collective management still needs some work before I try autos though. lol
And there still people greasing / oiling tail parts.
Sealed bearings and what not.
Not saying that this is the case, but that's what exactly happened to me.

Any damage?
salrica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh it was totally my bad. I took the tail apart during the build to make sure everything was good, and I crushed the busing b/c it is made of thin brass and bends if you look at it the wrong way. I replaced it with another one that was too short.

I couldn't find it locally and didn't want to wait weeks/months.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

No major damage. Broaken skids. The blades didn't even get dirty, aside from the bug guts, they are clean.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail shaft looks bent to me. Just to the left of the slider the assembly doesn't look parallel to the slider. It could be a camera perspective thing. Check it out for sure.

Dan
Old 10-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It wasn't spining when it crashed. I think it just looks that way because the slider is loose and hanging there without the slide bushing being screwed in.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It does look bent in the picture but it could just because it's not all assembled. Those shafts do bend pretty easy though, same with the feathering shaft. Minor accidents with the 450 can easily kill the TT gears, main shaft & feathering shaft.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered what is hopefully the right sized bushing. I'll take the tail shaft out to take a closer look. Here's a pic with the slider off.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The correct bushing for the 450 model (pro and L) is the one w more threads on the end the slider. The older ones have less threads.

http://www.aligntrexstore.com/450-Ta...XX_p_2148.html

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyon187 View Post
The correct bushing for the 450 model (pro and L) is the one w more threads on the end the slider. The older ones have less threads.

http://www.aligntrexstore.com/450-Ta...XX_p_2148.html
Awesome, this is what I bought. I think I even bought the right one the first time but rotorquest may have sent me the wrong one.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks straight now. I had an assembly come bent (just a bit) form China, and I spent a lot of time balancing blades etc before ordering new shafts. immediate fix. Running it with no blades on didn't show the vibes.

Dan
Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you guys might be right about the tail shaft being bent. I just put things back together with new bearings and the umbrella gears are notchy and binding in spots.

Wow good eye being able to tell from a pic. I'll have to spend another 20 bucks to see if a new one fixes it.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damage to the gears will cause that notchy feeling sometimes. Like if you rotate the gears really slowly by hand you will feel them bind in certain spots. It can be hard to see the damage on the tooth sometimes. TT gears can usually get trashed in a crash.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

the gears all look really nice. They turn really smooth until a certain point where it binds and needs a quite a bit of force to keep going. I think the tail was already this way after a tip over a while back. I just never noticed it because it spins fine with the mass of the main blades. Even then now that i think back the main blades would get stuck when spinning them slowly by hand.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The umbrella gear from the TT poped out causing a tight mesh. I popped it back in and it smooth now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in