Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default main/auto gear play

Hey to all that has given info for me on my first nitro build so it flies very well I might and got 4 tanks and very pleased but I did notice when I was going over over it that with the blades in there transport holder I'm able to wiggle the gears on the main shaft not up and down but testing if you will back and forth all while the main shaft doesn't kinda like the hole on the main shaft is wallered out. The Jesus bolt rotates back and forth with the gears also not to much but it does it is this normal or no I checked my 550 and it does it also just not as much. The gears are new the shaft is new the head is new so any input would be great thanks
joeplumber1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplumber1 View Post
Hey to all that has given info for me on my first nitro build so it flies very well I might and got 4 tanks and very pleased but I did notice when I was going over over it that with the blades in there transport holder I'm able to wiggle the gears on the main shaft not up and down but testing if you will back and forth all while the main shaft doesn't kinda like the hole on the main shaft is wallered out. The Jesus bolt rotates back and forth with the gears also not to much but it does it is this normal or no I checked my 550 and it does it also just not as much. The gears are new the shaft is new the head is new so any input would be great thanks
Not sure I totally understand, but mine has some play between pinion and main. I try to get it so that most of the play is gone but to where it is not binding or hard or draggy.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

ok ill try to explain better, if I hold the main gear steady I can rotate the head back & forth. now the head is fixed tight on the main shaft so the play is down at the gear where the jesus bolt passes through like the hole is wallered (that sounds hillbilly I know) now the shaft gears bolt head so on are all brand new everything is tight but like I said I can rotate the shaft back & forth
Old 05-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
ok ill try to explain better, if I hold the main gear steady I can rotate the head back & forth. now the head is fixed tight on the main shaft so the play is down at the gear where the jesus bolt passes through like the hole is wallered (that sounds hillbilly I know) now the shaft gears bolt head so on are all brand new everything is tight but like I said I can rotate the shaft back & forth
Oh ok.... Let me check mine, back in a few.

I don't feel much movement. But I do feel some. Like a fraction of a mm. I'm not sure. However I don't tighten overly hard on that bolt becasue it tends to warp main and auto gear assy in such a way as to change the gear mesh.

I think it should be fairly snug and have maybe a little play but not much. I'm not totally sure. Good question. I will ask one of my nitro buddies later this week.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks ill check the post later I did take it apart to see if there was anything bad going on and everything looks good even checked it with another shaft and it is the same so I'm guessing it's supposed to be like that
Old 05-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to my flying buddy, no big deal if the play is small. He said look at play in everything else from tail gear to main, pinion. He said once it starts spinning it will be locked in. He made point that you don't want the up and down play along axis of main shaft. Which I agree. That would cause noticible movement with each pitch change.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for checking up on that. There is no up and down and with further investigating I agree the play is what it is the only way it could go away is to put in a larger diameter Jesus bolt and that won't happen unless I enlarge the hole on the gears that bolt came with the shaft so it has to be right so again thanks for the info
Old 06-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't enlarge the hole to fit a bigger diameter bolt.

And, don't over-tighten the existing bolt trying to take out the play.

It is not something to worry about.
As pointed out previously, once there is a load on the head, any play is gone.

But, your jesus bolts should be the kind that has the long shoulder (no threads). It should look like bolts that hold the tailrotor blades - but 1 or 2mm longer.
The shoulder should extend through to the other side with just enough threads for the nut to fully seat

This is important for both jusus bolts (top & bottom)
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did not enlarge the hole and the Jesus bolts top and bottom have the shoulder they are what came with the head . My only concern was with the play after all the posts and closer inspection I took it as it is what it is that's how it's supposed to be I appreciate all the help from everyone this thing flies awesome and I love the 7-8 minute flight times. Now if I could just suck it up and fly it like the SIM that would be fantastic but I'm just a plumber married with kids so crashing really hurts me lol. Anyway thanks tckd off 8 hey let me ask this what do you think of Byron s fuel 30% or Toro fuel I believe it's called toro
Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I did not enlarge the hole and the Jesus bolts top and bottom have the shoulder they are what came with the head . My only concern was with the play after all the posts and closer inspection I took it as it is what it is that's how it's supposed to be I appreciate all the help from everyone this thing flies awesome and I love the 7-8 minute flight times. Now if I could just suck it up and fly it like the SIM that would be fantastic but I'm just a plumber married with kids so crashing really hurts me lol. Anyway thanks tckd off 8 hey let me ask this what do you think of Byron s fuel 30% or Toro fuel I believe it's called toro
So glad to hear that. I love the flight times too and sometimes ready for a break before fuel gone. Take your time on your maneuvers. You want to be in that mode of live to fly another day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in