Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Turbine Helicopters

Turbine Helicopters Turbine R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Curves for Trex 800 and Wren 44 please.

I have eventually finished my Trex 800 Revolution Models conversion after a lay-up while I had a hand operation.

It is all finished and ready to set up the curves and fire it up. I have headloaders on to try it out.

Could you give me some starting points bearing in mind I am not a 3D flier and only really progressing on from circuits so no need for screaming head speeds and revving the nuts off the turbine please.
Thanks

Simon
SimT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unfortunately that's something you need to experiment with... each individual turbine is a little different, not to mention gear ratios between different helis, blade length, blade type, etc all play into the actual throttle curve and headspeed.

One thing I recommend initially is setting the heli at zero pitch or very slightly negative and then slowly increasing the throttle percentage until you hit your target headspeed (telemetry makes this easy, if not get a helper with a headspeed tach.) That will establish your mid stick / 0 pitch throttle point for your desired headspeed.

Depending on gear ratio, blades, and and target headspeed, I'm guessing you're going to end up somewhere around 40-45% throttle output at mid-stick for a headspeed around 1750rpm.

After the 0 pitch throttle position and headspeed is established create a parabolic throttle curve that's somewhat flat around the center (you won't need much additional throttle between say -3 / +3 degrees of pitch) and assuming you're running a decent amount of total pitch have the throttle curve end at 100% at full pitch. Then go fly it easy and see how it sounds and feels (again-- telemetry is a plus, if not a helper with a tach is needed.)

Depending on what TX you have you may be able to move the throttle curve points along the collective stick axis (left and right typically); I like to place two points that exactly line up with the stick position and pitch at hover so I can adjust those two throttle curve points to precisely control headspeed at a hover (both upright and inverted.)

After that, do some climb outs at varying collective inputs noting stick position to see how well the collective to throttle curve is doing for maintaining headspeed and tweak the throttle curve as necessary.

Once you get that dialed in, if you feel the headspeed bogs on certain cyclic-hungry moves that don't require much collective input (like funnels or continuous tumbles) you can then start adding and experimenting with cyclic to throttle mixes. Depending on how you fly you may or may not need cyclic to throttle mixes.
Jeti DC-16
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in