Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MOTORS FOR MY BLADE 4503D

HAVING TWO BLADE 4503DS STOCK NOT FLYING RIGHT AND TRYING EVERYTHING ELSE TO FIX THE PROBLEM HAS LED ME TO SAY THAT I HAVE TWO SOUR MOTORS.
ON MY ONE BLADE4503D IT WAS FLYING AND I HEARD A GRINDING TYPE NOISE, LANDING MY BIRD, AND THROUGH MAYBE THE MAIN GEAR WAS BAD. A LATER DISCOVERY REVEALED THE MOTOR IS "TOUGH" TO TURN, SO I GUESS IT SIEZED UP.
THE SECOND MOTOR LITERALLY WOBBLES IN PLACE.
MY QUESTION IS WHAT ARE SOME GOOD DIRECT REPLACEMENT MOTORS? WHICH ONE IS THE MOST ECONOMIC AND WHICH ONE IS THE LONGEST LASTING, AND WHICH ONE IS SIMPLY THE BEST?
THANKS
Usman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look at scorpion motors 2221-8 would be a good replacement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Kieranar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use E-flite 450. Works fantastic. 50 bucks. You need to let your little motors cool down completely between flites. I know.
BlindOldCrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Motor

Yes the stock blade4503d motor is not a bad motor. I've had about 50 flights before having these problems with the stock motors. Should I expect to only get 50 flights out of each motor? Can I put new bearings and motor shafts in my motors right now to get them to work again?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sorry, you misunderstood me. Not the stocker, Not the up-grade. Go to E-Flite motors and search 450 Heli. It drops right in and you will NOT be disappointed. You may consider 40 amp esc and maybe servos. Also get a pinion gear, too. 12T seems to be plenty for this OldCrow.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

50 flights is not good for a motor. it should have 100s. I went with the Scorpion 2221-8 v2 myself.
jrwalte is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: MOTORS FOR MY BLADE 4503D

I have about 50 flights on ny 450 and I think the motor is starting to fail. It takes a lot longer to spool up and it just doesn't sound right. It also bogs down really easy now.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I replaced the bottom motor bearing with a Boca, the shaft was starting to show a burn mark. Been good since! Motor temps about 10 degrees cooler with the Boca.

"I do my best looking 3d when trying to avoid a crash!"
Jherison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Motor Bearing

I'll get a Scorpion Motor later on in the future after I figure out these motors. The only thing I'm having trouble is figuring out where and how I can get a replacement motor shafts for my Stock Blade 4503D Motors. I've got two bent shafts and need to find a way to get two new fresh ones. Any know how on that? Also, I beleive I need two 3X7X3mm bearings for each motor, I'll tryt to get the best ones. I just don't know where to get a replacment shaft from?.....Any help? After I get them all put in, I should be good for a while, someone told me that brushless motors if serviced right, should last forever
Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: MOTORS FOR MY BLADE 4503D

Loctiting the shaft to the lower bearing is documented here on the forum as a way to preclude the shaft from spinning inside the bearing, thus wearing the shaft and eventually causing motor failure.

Shaft replacement has come up before, but Blade doesn't sell them....you have to buy a new motor.

If you are wanting to stay with the original motor, let me know - I have a new one (unused) I will sell cheap.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default motor

I guess I have no other choice but to settle with getting a new motor that is just as good as the stock one that comes on the Blade4503D that I can get replacement shafts and bearings. PM with a price quote on your motor, thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

PM sent
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Motors

Well What I've come to is realizing that running the stock motor won't allow me to ever change the motor shaft if I ever need to ( which I need to do so on two of these motors ) so I need to find a new motor replacement on the market that would allow me to change the motor shafts if I ever needed to.
I would like to know which scorpion motor would be the nearest twin to the stock motor so I don't have any issues with the electronics and battery life
Would this motor be alright to use:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=h2223
and would I need anything else in order to make it work, like a new pinion.
Or does anyone suggest another motor that would allow me to replace the bearings and motor shafts if needed? I want everything to work smoothly with my stock electronics would work very similar to the stock 3800 420 motor?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best Motor for Blade4503d

or is this motor for replacing my Stock Blade4503d 420 motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_Motor.html

? I need to be able to purchase extra shafts and bearings, so maybe I need to settle for the right scorpion that is a perfect twin of the stock motor because I think scorpions have the option to purchase extra shafts and bearings
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or you can use the motor I suggested. Drop in replacement. Cheap name brand from excellent company. Hundreds and hundreds of flights (Mine is going on two years. I fly every day) Every part available. .........Or get a HobbyKing special..........or pay double for Scorp. ........?

Last edited by BlindOldCrow; 06-26-2013 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Horizon Hobbies EFLM60450A $49.99
Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put the 440 from the 450X in when my stock 420 went out. Very happy with it. Much more powerful.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450motor

Blindoldcrow, I did not know of that motor. The only ones I knew of were the 420 and the 440 which a lot of people upgraded to. the 450motor is brand new to me. If it is a direct replacement, I'll certainly get it. I love the motors I have right now, but the key thing for me is to get replacement shafts and bearings any time I need to.
Can you please send me the link to the shaft for replacement of the shaft on the 450 motor?
Do you know what size bearings are in that motor and how many?
I'd stick with the 420 motor but I can get replacement shafts for it. I would love something that is a direct, same size replacement! I think the 450 may just be the one!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by celltech View Post
I put the 440 from the 450X in when my stock 420 went out. Very happy with it. Much more powerful.
Also very good choice. Everything you do will raise-the-bar and cause another component to bear the "load". The 440 mentioned above is a drop-in also. Just let it cool down between flights. The way mine is configured I can "puff" a premium battery with no problem. Therefore I land and change batteries rather than having to wait for cool-down. I also have built two of them in case of LDL (lawn-dart-landing). Enjoy and be patient......this stuff isn't easy.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Not Easy

Yeah, this stuff isn't easy. If I get the 450 motor, will I need anything else other than all the stock things I have to run it? Like a motor plate or anything like that?
I simply want a motor that will work with my stock 4503D parts that will be a direct drop in that I can replace bearings and shafts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in