Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 8s or 6s

I know it has been asked about a million times, but can someone do there best to describe the difference. Is it like a 500 on 5s vs a 500 on 6s? I am pretty much on a helicopter island. The few pilots there are in my area are all flying nitro. So I have never really seen first hand how a 6s set up holds up over the long run. Oh, and I would like around 4:30 of flight time. Whats the best way to go? Just skip the 6s and go straight to the 8s, or fly the stock configuration and see how it goes?
ckoelliker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

doing it all again , save the extra for a decent speedy ,and 8s all the way

if you are thrifty , and willing to look around , you should be able to get 8s 3700ma battery's for close to the same as 6s 5000's

Jason
oldschool269 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

It really depends on other features of your setup - mostly on the power of your lipos and pinions - either can be made to fly with stellar performance or toned down - if you have the gear for charging 8S then it may be worth while but you have to upgrade motor - ESC - packs so I'd be tempted to try out 6S - for me 8S is a bit of an orphan child - 6S packs cheap and can give good performance - 8S introduces the complexity of multipacks and charging and yet fall short of 10S - so although my 8S T600 is my favourite toolong around heli - my 10S Logo 600 is my performance machine and I like my 6S on the Logos 400/500 and it seems great on the T500 - what sort of flying do you want to do ? - PS I get 4:30 from my 8S but the performance not great due to tired old packs
Old 11-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I try to fly hard. I have my 450 set up with a scorpion 8 turn and a 14 tooth pinion, my 500 with the scorpion 1600 and a 14 tooth pinion, and a 600n. I love how both the smaller electrics fly, but I did sacrifice a good bit of flight time. I am down to 4:20 seconds for both of them. So I guess I just do not know. If money was not an issue I would try the 6s and if I did not like it, I could save the battery and esc for the outrage 550 or a mikado 500. But alas, my money tree did not bloom to well this year.

Anyway does a 6s setup hold up very well over the long term? Meaning am I going to tax my batteries even if I stay under the 80% rule. Any thoughts?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My 6S setup with TP 5000s, Neu 1515 2.5 D/F/H, Align 100A ESC, etc is a hot performer, I fly 4:30 medium 3D and honestly this machine seems to have more torque than the 8S setup, at the expense of more stress inflicted on the components and higher temperatures in the battery packs. It has been holding up for five months now with 120+ flights already. Now, the 8S setup is easier on the components with the 1910 1Y/H motor slightly hotter than the 1515, with less temperatures in the battery packs and since I use the CC85HV with governor the heli outperforms the 6S setup because there is just no apparent bogging but my impression is a slightly slower maneuver speed, hard to explain but the 6S seems like with more torque while the 8S seems to have more overall power. I love them both anyway, and fly both every chance I get.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gracias para el consejo. Tiene un concurso hoy en Mexico. No asististe?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can save you some cash on an 8S or 10S package here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post10992844

I'll be posting in the for sale section here soon.
Shane
skeppley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I love my 6s set up. I get 4 solid minutes.
dieselracer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoelliker View Post
Gracias para el consejo. Tiene un concurso hoy en Mexico. No asististe?
No, desgraciadamente estoy muy lejos del resto del pais.
Saludos.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I love my 6s set up. I get 4 solid minutes.
Which battery, pinion, and what is your head speed? How has it been holding up long term?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Which battery, pinion, and what is your head speed? How has it been holding up long term?
The set up is a 1515 2.5D/F with an 11t at 100%. That gives just over 2400 HS at centerstick. Thats with a CC80. and fullymax 5300 25C lipos. I have personally had this set up for 60 flights, but my brother has had his set-up for at least a couple hundred flights and he loves it.

Heres a Video.
Jose Campos 600 ESP 11/08/08 (4 min 30 sec)
Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice flight. How much do those packs weigh?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Nice flight. How much do those packs weigh?
Not sure i dont have a scale that goes that high. They do feel heavyier then my outrage. But in flight it feels stronger then my outrage. the 5300 25c has 132.5A cont and 265A Burst. I like the fact that they run very cool.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK on a Trex 600 if you fly hard it can be tough on the packs. On a Logo 500 6S screams and is much easier on the packs. That being said if you keep cranking up the HS and choose the wrong pinion/motor combination you can surely tax the packs. Same would hold true for 8S though. There's always some combination out there that's going to be hard on your batteries.

Big Fil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 6s IS hard on batteries, even below 80%

I've just upgraded to 8s after a year, and it makes my 600 fly with power like my 500, or maybe more? I've enjoyed my 600 on 6s for it's first year, but I was flying gentle aerobatics & mild 3d & try to be smooth. I don't bang the sticks around. And I'm happy with 1950-2100 headspeed.

All 3 of my FP & TP 5000 6s batteries are getting weaker after about 70 cycles of careful 80% use or LESS.

I just upgraded to the 650L 1220kv motor, and these middle age-plus 6s batteries REALLY show their age now. On the elogger, NOW they get pushed below 3.2 to 3.0 volts per cell when only 65-70% of the battery's mah have been used.

I'll post my progress testing the new 650L motor on 8s & 6s.

Rob
rob-atl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Medusa 36-50-1300KV
11t Pinion
8s Flight Power 3700 mah

The motor is lighter than the stock 600l motor Run time 3d 4/5 Mins
RUSS5468 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in