Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Radio question (DX7 vs. X9303 with sim etc)

OK... so I have only one radio now... the Spektrum DX7.. I use it for my helis and also for my sim (Phoenix).. and I sim a LOT.. especially now in MN with winter upon us... 2+ hours per day.

I would kind of like to get another radio just to use for the sim. What is the best choice? I still wonder if the 9303 is THAT much better than the DX7 (speaking of actual sticks and hardware... does the sticks have more bearings where the DX7 doesn't etc?.. or is the hardware just the same on both?)

My choices and question... what should I do?

1- Buy a DX6i for the sim and keep using my DX7 for real life?
2- But a X9303 for real life and use the DX7 for the sim?
3- Simming will NOT wear the radio out so just keep the one!

Anyone knowledgeable enough to pick the best choice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The X9303 IS that much better. The DX7 does NOT have bearings on the Gimbals, it has bushings. To see the difference walk into a hobby shop and try an X9303 out in your hands. IT has Ball Bearings on the Gimbals. Honestly IMHO, the DX7 feels like crap and the menu layout is HORRID.

My opinion is to relegate the DX7 to the SIM and use a 'proper' radio for flying duties.

www.3dheli.co.nz
JAGNZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hmm.. so there really IS a difference in hardware between the DX7 and X903?.... (as in bearings vs. bushings etc...) That would make a big difference in my decision.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

EVERYTHING is different, Case, Gimbals, Rolling Selector, Menu Structure and Access Routines, Programming Options etc etc etc. The DX7 doesn't hold a candle to the X9303/DSX9 IMHO.

I have used both extensively and I hate it every time I have to help someone set up a Heli using the DX7...

www.3dheli.co.nz
JAGNZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1. I haven't used the DX7 so extensively, but when I had to I hated it also. The feel of the radio is totally different (read better in the 9303), sticks are much smoother, not to mention menus and roller
HeliBenj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive opened my X9030 to fix the wire rubbing problem and saw no ball bearings anywhere. Where did you see them as i dont believe they are sued. Also the actual stick movements indicate...no ball bearings in comaprison to the JR DSX12 and the 14Z Furaba...smooth as silk but cant confirm those have bearings either.

X9030 is a great radio and beter than the DX7
Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I just bought and set up an X9303 and can tell you that I was able to do the setup in half the time it took with the DX7..and that's without being imtimately familiar with the menus; there are enough similarities in the menu structure compared with the DX7 that I didn't have to learn from scratch. I haven't flown with it yet though; I probably will this afternoon.

The radio also feels much more solid in the hands.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have both and what I like about the 9303 is it's ability to save and make changes on the model with the computer. The feel of the 9303 is also superior.

Align Trex 450 HDE, & 450 SE V2
Gaui Hurricane 200 V2, & 550 CFS
mcnabbwr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
I have both and what I like about the 9303 is it's ability to save and make changes on the model with the computer
You do have to buy a $50 package for that, which I plan to do after the holidays.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 12-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've set up models in both radios and the x9303 can be programmed much easier/faster than the DX7. If you ever decide to fly a nitro heli, setting up a governor is A LOT easier w/ the x9303. Also, if you get into planes at all, the x9303 is much more flexible programming-wise w/ those.

I can't really comment on the difference in feel between the 2, because I only have a few min. of actual stick time on a DX7, but I'm really pleased w/ the feel of my x9303.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm gonna play devil's advocate since I try not to be a fan-boy of any one product.

To be fair, the DX7 is capable of a couple things that the 9303 is not. The DX7 has Pilot Link, which means a 4-channel trainer box can be plugged into the DX7 and the DX7 will mix the expo, DRs, ATVs, CCPM, flight modes, etc... and send it to the heli. I actually use this now and then for heli fam flights with guys on my Vibe (convinces them to buy a sim).

As far as programming, people SAY they can set the 9303 up faster... yippee... I never use the setup after initial work anyway and the 5 minutes it saves isn't worth the extra $300. Also, FWIW, you can buy cheap bearing kits for the DX7. I actually prefer the lighter weight of the DX7. I owned a 10X a while ago and the weight got old.

The ONLY extra useful features 1) I found for helis in the 9303 are: throttle hold can be turned off and the throttle will come up in a controlled manner and 2) Triple rates. If it was an airplane the 9303 might have more of an advantage with more mixes, but it isn't an airplane.

Frankly, the BEST radio I've flown (from 4-channel trainers to the 14MZ) 12Z. JR should be embarrassed that they can't touch the features of the 12Z. All the extra features that the 9303 and teh 12Z have are gimmicky and can be done without the dedicated feature (i.e. the Governor screen). The 12Z has functions that you can't believe and there is no way to accomplish on ANY other radio. Only problem is I don't like FASST... I use the 12Z only on 72MHz w/ my 35% and 41% planes.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If the X9303 and DX7 were free for the taking I'd choose the 9303 for its programming. interface and 7pt curves. I've tuned the gimbles for equal resistance and I don't feel much difference and I don't think the X9303 has bearings. They both feel pretty good to me but then I've never touched a 12X. The 9303 weighs 170 gms more and is 6mm thicker than the DX7. Internally the wiring is more robust on the X9303 With the X9303 you must use a 7 channel receiver to use the gyro sense menu. When my heli nerves are frayed I fly electric assist gliders (very relaxing) and this is where the X9303 is mandatory because of the side sliders and switch mapping (limited compared to some radios). You can buy two DX7s for the price of a X9303 so if money is a factor and you're only flying helis the DX7 is a pretty good value. Do I like my X9303, hell yeah but when I watch Finless's videos of the new Airtronics 10sd, I wish JR would stop holding out on the programming.
GreenCello is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The 7-point mixes are really nice in the X9303. You're not stuck with always having to do one rate above the input threshold and one below. Also, the flight modes can be fed into a mix rather than just controlling whether the mix is active. You also get six mixes, compared to the DX7's three: two 7-point and four traditional.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 12-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on all the 9303 comments. I love mine and picked it up used with the TX only for $350.

I've considered picking up a DX5e for $40 used, just for the sim, but part of the benefit is to use the same radio all the time. I just wish I could disable the stupid beeping. It drives the wife crazy!

Also pick up a Hyperion LiFe pack. I get weeks of flight time without a charge, and I can charge at 4C. The voltage output is 9.9V and it's a safe chemistry. No regulator mod required. It also has a built in charging circuit that allows you to use the original wall wart. Best $40 I ever spent.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you know when the LiFe is going dead? I heard they drop of really fast. I'm interested in one... I like the chemistry and use it in my big gas planes.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

At light loading, LiFe exhibits roughly a .2V per cell drop per cell by the end of it's discharge cycle. Since it's a 3 cell pack, this translates to .6V which is very noticeable. I recharge when it hits 9.6V.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a123_discharge.png
Views:	177
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	128634  
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
My choices and question... what should I do?

1- Buy a DX6i for the sim and keep using my DX7 for real life?
2- But a X9303 for real life and use the DX7 for the sim?
3- Simming will NOT wear the radio out so just keep the one!

Anyone knowledgeable enough to pick the best choice? Thanks.

First, my observation about JR/Spektrum is the radios are so different from each other.
They were not designed as a product line that when owning a less expensive radio and moving to a more expensive radio it is like you just bought into a different product line from another company. There is not much continuity in the menus.

Back lighting on all radios would be nice.
Copying to the computer is nice but should be enabled on the entire product line.
These features are being used as the carrot to spend hundreds more on the higher end radios.

I'd recommend using the DX7 until the next models are out there instead of buying a 9303 now. Or buy now and then buy again when the next models are out and you are drooling over those and their new features?

If the DX7 wears out (not likely) there are radios tucked away in fresh new cartons at the LHS and on shelves all over the world. You don't need to have a second radio aging out. To do so dramatically increases the cost of owning a radio for RC use. You'd have that total investment for how many years, 4?

I'd follow number 3.

The sticks feel the same to me and I can give you my 9303 for you to compare to your DX7 and the DX7 I have.

How many posts or threads have you read about pilots sending in their DX7 to have the bushings replaced due to the clearances becoming a problem?
From what I can tell, simming for hours on end isn't an issue.

Bearings or no bearings, it's about how the sticks feel. The sticks aren't even moving through one full revolution. A bearing would be needed if you were moving the sticks at 6,000 RPM for instance and with a load. And for no slop, it would take a dang good bearing to have no play in it. The "need" for bearings is in my guess, simply a marketing ploy.

I don't know if there are bearing in the 9303 and the radio is far more expensive than the DX7.

Good quality pots probably are a more important factor to get longer service life than bearings or bushings any way.

Function List(press the Up and Select buttons at the same time)
The roller bar on the 9303 is nice but on the DX7, use the Function List and you really don't need a roller. In fact, seeing the list is maybe a bit nicer in that you know where the item is you are looking for.

There are more points to program in the 9303 curves but do you at present, feel that having more points to program in the curve is holding you back from flying like Tareq?
Using expo smooths a 5 point or 7 point curve. Is it possible by flying, to determine the difference between a expo smoothed curve made from a 5 or 7 point entry? I don't know. I'm happy to loop at this point.

It's a minor advantage but this is another, the ability to set how small or large an increment, the servo moves with a click of sub-trim. Worth the extra hundreds of dollars? Probably most 9303s are left at the default sub-trim step increment.

There is no doubt that looking inside the radios, the 9303 has nicer construction. The exterior looks better, though the appearance won't affect flying abilities

But all in all, I'd follow number 3, continue to use what you have and save the money for the day when a new fangled radio replaces the position in the product line the 9303 occupies. Even then, you likely won't need such a radio, it may have a backlit screen, maybe all the switches will be programable. It might have a voice activated throttle hold that can be set to respond to "Oh (*&#$!". Or a feature I'm waiting for, a pop out cup holder.
Maybe telemetry is added and it can give an alert when the pack voltage falls to a preset limit for longer than 10 seconds as a back up to flying with a timer or listening to head speed fall off (won't trigger on a momentary voltage sag).

I can't consider #2 due to the spelling error but no matter, I recommend #3...

TowPilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPilot View Post
I can give you my 9303
COOL THANKS MIKE!

Nice informative post. I guess I will indeed stick to option number thrwee.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my humble opinion just use any radio for the sim and even consider an older (read cheap) unit to use. If the Sim comes with a TX just use that. I believe the purpose of the sim is to learn orientations and stick movements to perform specific functions. Unless you are at the level of competing you won't benefit from using anything else enough to justify the cost and wear/tear.

Just my opinion, if you disagree, have at it
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

buy the 9303 and use it for both
-Gamah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in