Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hardened front torque tube gear?

Im not the best piolot and have gone through several front gears for the torque tube. I understand when even if its a small bump somthing has to give but ti would make sense to harden the front gears since they can be a pain to take off and leave the rear soft. Does any one make a after market gear set that is harder? Btw whats the hardest servo I can use for the tail so I dont stip them gears to?
Buzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you can't do anything about the TT gears stripping, it's a known fact that they can't handle the least amount of stress.

i also stripped my share of gears the first month and since then i became more aware where i spool up and land etc. and since then i did'nt stripped a gear untill now...

anyway i'm going back to belt, i ordered the boom mount from i2 (bobOD on this forum) that will make replacing the gears from the belt or TT alot easyer + if you go back to belt anyway the problem is as good as solved...
www.rs-modelstore.be follow us on facebook !
flybar-les is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Why dont you just lengthen your tail fin, or screw a servo horn wheel on the bottom of it to keep your tail blades clear of the dirt
DMHC

frogbmth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Where can I purchase

Where can I get a loger tail fin at? and the model #
If I got a longer tail then id need to get that little platic part that keeps the tail fin straight with out getting the whole thing.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here you go

http://www.helidirect.com/fusuno-neo...ew-p-13723.hdx

http://www.helidirect.com/carbon-fib...00-p-13526.hdx
DMHC

Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bad ass and thanks

Now can I find some way to find part # 500t057 since I that part will kep the tail straight and im alreay having problems with that piece? This is the small plastic 1 inch piece that has a single whole to line up the tail rotor perfect.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

This off topic but frog i love ur avatar Poison dart frogs ore my favorite!! I almost bought a couple but it was 50+ bucks per frog.
JackdaWack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

the other thing you might want to do is a long tail fin along with some 600 landing skids this should pick you up quit a bit
helimanny is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2009, 05:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackdaWack View Post
This off topic but frog i love ur avatar Poison dart frogs ore my favorite!! I almost bought a couple but it was 50+ bucks per frog.
Thanks man, yeah they are expensive but completely worth it. The hardest part is keeping a supply of food going. Tiny crickets by the hundred

I've kept them on and off for 20 years, I love the way they are so bold and not skittish like other frogs. They know they are toxic
DMHC

Old 12-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by helimanny View Post
the other thing you might want to do is a long tail fin along with some 600 landing skids this should pick you up quit a bit
The T500 gorilla gear holds the tail up a little too, the rear is slightly taller than the front.
DMHC

Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its better to strip the front gear which is a fairly easy fix and cheap, than to get a harder gear and send the problem to another part of the heli which will prob be more costly and a lot harder to change the damaged parts!!!
Lee93 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

What about a torque limiter that "gives" to prevent gear stripping or torque tube breaking? Does such a device exist?
randz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee93 View Post
Its better to strip the front gear which is a fairly easy fix and cheap, than to get a harder gear and send the problem to another part of the heli which will prob be more costly and a lot harder to change the damaged parts!!!
I %100 totally disagree with you. The rear gears would be so much easier to replace then the front. As an example the motor uses a metal pinion gear which will never chip a tooth but the nylon gear is cheap and they made it like that so only one gear would break not 2. Now why didnt align make a harder front gear then rear is beyond me becuase its a much bigger pain in the a$$ to take the whole boom dopwn then just a few screws in the rear end of the Torque tube. Just think about it, every time you crashed the rear you would always know it was the rear gears to go out. Then you could stock up on the rear gears knowing that they will go out every time and they are easy to replace. but then again what do I know
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree. I wish a manufacture company come up with an upgrade for those gears pronto. They are a pain in the neck to replace. The rear gears are much easier to replace. Let's not forget that the main gears are also made of plastic wish could be a breaking force point and they are very easy to replace as well.
305heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have never had a problem with the gears the way they are stock
trex 600N OS50hyp, hitori, mgp, 9451'sgy520/9256, TT
trex 700N 91sz, hitori, g600, 610's, 611/9256, TT
outhouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by randz View Post
What about a torque limiter that "gives" to prevent gear stripping or torque tube breaking? Does such a device exist?
I have not seen anything like this for a Trex-500. However, my very old GMP Cobra has a 1.5mm steel shaft to the tail. It took a lot beat from me during the very first time of flying this helicopter in mid 80. I think the aluminum shaft of the TT can be replaced with a thinner (1.5 or 2mm) CF rod. Since CF rod is very flexible (twistable) in this small diameter, so let the CF rod taking the hard hit from our flying. This may save the TT gear. Well, I'll try this method next time.
MTDV is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in