Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering

Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
JMP
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Transmitter Power - Pacemaker

I am to have a pacemaker implanted in a week or so. With all the warnings in the after-surgery booklet the physician game me, I'm concerned about my DX7 transmitter causing problems with the pacemaker. I've searched the internet and forums as well as checking the DX-7 manual, but cannot find any discussion on this topic or the power output of my DX-7 and similar transmitters.

I would appreciate any information anyone has on this subject. I fly both glow and electric airplanes and electric helicopters, e.g. T-Rex 500. I suppose the electric helicopter motors could cause problems too.

Thanks in advance for your help,

JMP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Don't be over-concerned

Hi JMP,

I am not sure where you live but I imagine that wherever the health care is provided, you should be given access to the pacemaker manufacturer by email or phone. Your most useful guidance should come from them.

However, I would be reluctant to pose the question to them as "I have an RC transmitter - is it OK to use near the pacemaker?" Given the potential for liability, it is far too easy for them to just say "well it could be safe but we cannot guarantee it, so would have to advise against it".

The question that I would ask instead is "what is the RF field strength of your approval tests?". They will be able to come back with a figure that is in V/m (Volts/metre). It is likely that the tests will exceed 100V/m. As long as you are below the level of the tests, you are in good territory.

Both CE (Europe) and FCC (US) have very well documented tests. Manufacturers have medical products tested/passed by approved test houses.

The RF output of your transmitter is all that matters. Whether it is 35MHz, 72MHz or 2.4GHz, the power output will be very limited. The approval tests cover everything from 150kHz (way below transmitter) to way above the frequencies you can use. It does not matter whether you are using your own DX-7 or someone else's 14 channel device - it's the RF energy that matters.

Your transmitter power is in the region of 10mW of RF power output (0.01W). Your mobile phone pushes out rather more than this. To convert this to indicative figures of field strength you are likely to be looking at around 2V/m with normal holding/orientation of the transmitter.

So, with the same caveat – I cannot guarantee the results... I can say that I would not be giving up my RC due to having a pacemaker. {I am likely to have other electronics implanted. My RC heli involvement is the compensation for no longer being able to sail due to the impending implant.}

As for the motor and ESC – yes it is possible that it creates some RF noise... far too little to worry about. Just bear in mind that the radio receiver is looking for signals that are around 0.000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 8 W (at its aerial). Even with the “clever stuff” that RC systems do, if there were too much noise from the ESC it would swamp the receiver and make it totally unable to function.

I hope that this puts your mind at rest.

Nano-CPX, MCPX BL, T-rex 450 Sport V2 now FBL, T-rex 600E PRO/Vbar
gorlandheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My father has had a pacemaker for around 10 years, and it hasn't stopped him from flying. I'm not a doctor, so I can only tell you what I have seen.
fhu667 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
JMP
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Many Thanks

Your replies contain exactly the information and guidance I was seeking.

JMP
Old 01-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

RC Transmitter output is considerably less than peak from mobile phones, I am sure they are tested (and safe) so I cant see why a TX would not be.

Besides ~2.4GHz EM radiation does not penetrate water well, and since our tissues are mostly water your body will likely block the RF reaching the pacemaker.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a large amount of retired senior citizens and others with the same aliments and implanted devices that fly RC planes and helis on a regular basis.

The AMA wouldn't have anyone to write about if those with pacemakers had to stop flying
Old 02-18-2015, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, looks like there's no danger, but if you want to really play safe, use a buddy box with a long cable so the controls will be in your hands but the emitter will be a few meters away from you.

Not flying anything - model or full - since 2017!
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make a T-shirt out of tin foil.

If the WiFi routers are fine, our Tx should be save also. Asking the pacemaker MFG to make sure would not hurt
Might be best to stay away from the FPV multirotor guys attempting to boost their range, or wear your new T-shirt.
sp00fman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in