Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pro's & Cons using a torque tube

Hi All

I am in the middle of building my Trex 500 (Upgraded from Mini Titan) and i am concerned
about the static problem. It seems there are a few people saying its the belt that causes the problem. Will fitting a torque tube stop the static problems? what other problems come with having a torque tube over a belt.

Oh.. Hi all long time reader first time poster

Thanks

P.
Pr3dator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes ,the torque tube does take care of the static issue,the difference is price of replacement if you wreck ,gears front and back,drive shaft,costs alittle more,if you hit ground with tail, gears will strip.With belt, there is tension to keep adjusted,another thing you don,t have to think about with tt.But the peace of mind not having to worry about static makes it a easy choice,Thanks ,oballzz Good to have ya with us.

Last edited by oballzz; 12-28-2008 at 08:33 AM..
oballzz is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Price is the only draw back in my book! Ease of setup, install and worry free operation, no static issues are the pros.

I put mine in the ground a few weeks ago, and caused about 50 dollars worth of damage to the tail section (Rotor shaft, gears front & back, boom, torque tube), had I been running belt the only damage would have been shaft and boom at about 15-20 dollars depending on if the belt had to be replaced or not.

In my book, I think it is worth it, as I already had a crash due to a lock out, possibly due to static, plus I also like all the "bling".
Bikerjoy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you fly all season and have wide temperature swings in the winter as we do, the aluminum boom will shrink in the cold and the belt will become loose enough to slip. A TT is made of the same material as the boom, so it shrinks at the same rate.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have been getting longer flight time with torque tube.
watso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Is it a pain to install the TT? I have a belt version and just ordered the TT.
Will I have to completely disassemble most of the heli?
Shakes268 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes268 View Post
No, you'll be able to remove the old case and install the tt case without taking the whole heli apart.

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes268 View Post
Ah well, don't kid yourself, it is a major rebuild. Be sure to loosen the canopy pins when spreading the frame to remove the boom block. If the gyro is on the block, you need to remove it and replace the tape. You'll need to take off the servo, be sure to put the rod guides on the boom before adding the tail or the servo. Since you take the servo off, you need to reset the servo endpoints and setup the gyro.

Yes, it is better than the belt so you don't get lockouts, especially in the dry winter weather. I had a couple. However, the friggen gears strip easily. I've changed 5 sets and they are $11 each. AND you need to spread the frame and remove the block to change the front ones. I don't like it, but it is the best way to have the bird set up.
ryem3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

And while you are at it, you might as well buy Rick Lohr's gyro tray and relocate the gyro. This will make it easier to access the drive gears in the future.

http://www.wavelandps.com/clearly/
Mike66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in