Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Spektrum DX8 Intructional Videos

OK so I have had my DX8 since June of this year. I am enjoying the radio so far and have had no troubles at all. Since this time I have been slowly doing videos on the DX8 so these will come out every few weeks. Horizon also wants to review them for accuracy so this adds a little time. Not a big deal and in fact they helped me with knowing about a software update I did not know about

Anyway on with the videos!

Video Link ->What's in the box and radio overview (60 Megs)

Video Link ->Menus & Navigation (44 Megs)

Video Link ->System Menus Part 1 (38 Megs)

Video Link ->System Menus Part 2 (58 Megs)

Video Link ->System Menus Part 3 (60 Megs)

Video Link ->System Menus Part 4 (77 Megs)

Notes on this video! This is Stick Mode change and Stick Calibration. However this was shot with the OLD version of software version 2.01! I will have a new video showing how to upgrade the DX8 software and the new stick calibration routine under 2.03 Beta. Stay tuned:
Video Link ->Stick Mode Change and Stick Calibration (84 Megs)

Stay tuned more to come!

Enjoy,
Bob
dickarthur likes this.

Last edited by Mercuriell; 08-15-2012 at 10:29 PM..
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great videos Bob! I'm sure you know it now, but in part 3 you copied to Model 12 not 10. Gave me a good laugh. I might upgrade to a DX8 though, they seem really good for the money.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As usual good job. Can't wait to see the rest.

If you didn't figure it out. You originally copied the TREX 250 model to model 12 not 10. What?? Bob is human. Who would have guessed? lol
Old 11-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great, Thank you.
SPEKTRUM DX18
jraydoran is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was waiting on this..................
My wife is buggin' me, I'm going outside to ...... AMA #1037635
joyd69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finly Bob....
at last u did the DX8......been waiting too long for this...
Good job man..
ahibrahim2009 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for doing this, Bob. I can't wait to watch them. I just downloaded them to my iPad and will view them on my flight home tonight!
Futaba 14SG / AMA# 959345 / IRCHA #3954
aramb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Bob, But two questions I have? In the process of flying, when an alarm goes off and you look down at your screen, will the reason for the alarm be displayed? Will the telemetry display the problem? This might be something to cover on a video.
chochodave is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome, Bob and many thanks again. I've been using the DX8 for about a year now and learned some new stuff already. I do love this radio.

G.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default thanks

thanks bob... start to download...
tulushadi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

GREAT videos... Very helpful to a beginner like me.

Watched them all.... twice!

Got my radio yesterday and feel comfortable with it already thanks to these videos...

Cheers! - Tom
EC225LP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks a bunch, great vids. I've had mine since the spring but I learned a couple of shortcuts for navigating, the beauty of the back button (I don't think I ever used it before ) and best of all, how to change models without powering off!

Can't wait for the rest of the series, especially on the telemetry. I find a lot of the really interesting bits are largely undocumented.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi all, how do you activate Thorttle hold and set the radio to not "read zero thorttle" so you can go out of an auto with fast spin up??? I mean the percentage of throttle that appear in Futaba radios..... in the T HOLD screen....
Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for another great set of videos, Bob!

I'm midway through "Menus & Navigation" and noticed something while you were showing the two-button shortcut to change model -- when you confirm the model change, you're in System Setup -- without power-cycling the DX8!

Pretty cool, huh?

-Don

Edit - I just unpaused the video and now know you know this already.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks BOB!!

If it weren't for these video's I wouldn't know what to do!!

And I'm Serious!!

Thanks so much for the lessons!

Steve (ESPO)
61Espo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

FYI I am finishing up a video on how to upgrade the software. Spektrum just announced Version 2.04 for the DX8. I had previously upgraded to 2.01 and this is what the video will be showing. 2.04 upgrade will to be the same process.

On 2.01 you could calibrate all stick movements not just elevator and throttle. 2.04 is saying that has been improved more so I will have to check that out.

Bob
Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is great news Bob, looking forward to watch the video. Thanks a lot!
Etraud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default kind of disappointing

Hey Finless, hope you don't get offended but this group of vids is not so good. Great to go through the menus but as I program my first heli into my DX8 I find it is quite a bit different than my DX7. For instance the gyro gain on a DX7 goes 0-49% RATE mode and on the DX8 it is negative numbers. I can't seem to get my throttle hold to work correctly.

You should make another vid where you actually set up a CP heli with all the settings for a +/-12 deg, HH and RATE modes and throttle hold. Of course I will have it figured out in an hour or so as I just pulled out the manual but really, you coverage of this material is not complete.

Sorry to wine, I've watched many of your vids and this is the first I thought was weak. Hopefully you will update this series to fill in the gaps.
Thanks!
ewoodcox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I am not done with these yet so I have not covered that stuff yet but I plan to.

Bob
Old 01-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Hey Finless, hope you don't get offended but this group of vids is not so good. Great to go through the menus but as I program my first heli into my DX8 I find it is quite a bit different than my DX7. For instance the gyro gain on a DX7 goes 0-49% RATE mode and on the DX8 it is negative numbers. I can't seem to get my throttle hold to work correctly.

You should make another vid where you actually set up a CP heli with all the settings for a +/-12 deg, HH and RATE modes and throttle hold. Of course I will have it figured out in an hour or so as I just pulled out the manual but really, you coverage of this material is not complete.

Sorry to wine, I've watched many of your vids and this is the first I thought was weak. Hopefully you will update this series to fill in the gaps.
Thanks!
The manuals were practically useless for me. The things I needed clarrification on really weren't covered in any detail if at all in the manual. These vids would have helped me get further quicker, had they been availble in the spring!

I've had my DX8 for about 8 months and had to figure most of that out on my own, and some things now work for me but I don't 100% get why. Like why is enabling TH not more straight forward (sorry... can't walk you through it without doing a new model from scratch, and you've probably got it figured out by now anyway). And the other that baffled me just last night was getting the gear ch assigned to the gear switch.... turns out that the switch select menu calls the switch that's labled 'Gear' on mine 'Mix'. I just had to sit down and start assigning channels to switches until I got it figured out....

These initial vids didn't knock it out of the park for me, but I've been flying with mine for a little over 6 months, most of the content that was covered was pretty basic so far but they're not complete yet.

Even if they were pretty basic so far, like every one of Finless' series, I got at least one bit of new info that made me go "wait... what!?" For me this easter egg was the clear/back method of changing models without powering off! And I now use the 'back' button a lot more in menus, it's way more useful than I initally assumed.

Can't wait for the rest of them and thanks Bob! The only reaso I checked on the thread was to see if there were any updates yet
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in