Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Main Forum - Multirotor Talk

Main Forum - Multirotor Talk General Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New LaTrax Alias 3D Quad?

Does anyone know anything about this? My 10 year old son is wanting to get into helis like his old man and thinks this Quad would be a good place to start. He asked for one for Christmas. Any thoughts? I found this video on Youtube. Looks pretty cool and is supposed to be very crash resistant. [ame]http://youtu.be/I-6lVVI3kzM[/ame]
Vendman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just had a look mate,looks nice!!
Futaba 8FG
JAG1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was looking at some video and conversation about it on RCGroups. I normally like to slag on these little RTF birds, but this one impresses me.

I think it would be a good one for your little guy.

Edit: Here is some more info on it:

http://latrax.com/alias-overview.htm

LaTrax Alias - High Performance Quad Rotor Helicopter (4 min 2 sec)

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

$150 for brushed motors??
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
$150 for brushed motors??
I agree, is expensive, but it does things no other micro quad on the market does.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like a winner. Here's my short night flying maiden.

LaTrax Alias Quadcopter - Night Maiden Flight (7 min 19 sec)
Raycamaro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: New LaTrax Alias 3D Quad?

Maybe I missed something but in those videos I saw nothing a 70 dollar blade Nano QX couldn't do.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeloron View Post
Maybe I missed something but in those videos I saw nothing a 70 dollar blade Nano QX couldn't do.
Did we watch the same videos?

Voltage monitoring on the TX, programmable/automatic flip mode on TX, some type of course lock for piros, LEDs, switchable thumb sticks or pads etc.

I’m not really interested in one, I was just stating that it could be good for some people and has features that I haven’t seen on any other RTF micro quad.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was thinking more from a performance standpoint not necessarily the controller. The NQX will do those manevuers too but you have to fly it rather than tell it to fly itself.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I admit they are cool features though. I just worry they would teach bad habits. If I had some spare money I would consider one. Just got an Estes Proto X though and surprisingly enough I think Estes/Hubsan managed to pull off a game changer with it.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I admit they are cool features though. I just worry they would teach bad habits. If I had some spare money I would consider one. Just got an Estes Proto X though and surprisingly enough I think Estes/Hubsan managed to pull off a game changer with it.
Yes, I agree about the bad habits potential. But, when I turn off my cynical self (which is hard ) I remember that I started with a tricycle, then a Big Wheel, bicycle with training wheels, no training wheels, a 10 speed and eventually a motorcycle. Same with helis; coax, FP, CP then a quad. So granted there is that potential but I think anything that brings more people in is a good thing. Cynical self back on.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Way better than NQX

Quote:
I was thinking more from a performance standpoint not necessarily the controller. The NQX will do those manevuers too but you have to fly it rather than tell it to fly itself.
I ended up picking up an Alias at my LHS. This thing is great. Trust me, I have an NQX as well. This blows an NQX away. An NQX does not respond to input quickly and crisply like this Alias. The Alias has three flight modes, the most advanced (expert 2) disables the portion of the stabilization system that automatically levels the Quad when you let go of the ail/elev stick so it is very similar to flying a decent collective pitch heli except of course it does not have collective pitch! But, I am able to fly it kind of like it does have collective pitch by backing way out of the throttle when it is upside down so it doesn't just make a bee line for the ground when it is upside down. It enables you to do great big loops and rolls. I was even able to do an inverted auto-rotation of sorts. I took it up real high, flipped it upside down and cut the throttle completely. I'll be damned if it didn't auto rotate all the way down to the ground and then I re-applied throttle and righted it before it hit the ground. This thing is cool. I challenge you to find a video anywhere on the Internet or make your own video showing the NQX doing anything like the first video I posted to start this thread. Did you watch it all the way through?
Vendman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds very cool mate
Futaba 8FG
JAG1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have had mine about a week now and love it. dont let the controller fool you... it has some pretty impressive features and this little baby is pretty quick. i was not to sure about the design of the controller at first, but after using it, they did a really nice job with this one and the Quad itself is also a 6 axis system versus many others that are either 3 or 4 axis and the controller itself is 6 channel versus the usual 4 on most starter Quads. there are many cool things about this one and mine fly's great, 28 flights in but my front left motor is starting to drag after a flight then loosens up after it cools. Traxxas was very kind and has sent me a replacement motor and they claim the motors will last between 35-50 flights under continual hard flying but probably longer under normal flying habits.
this is the link to a thread in the Traxxas forum that has a number of videos, including the video that started this thread.
http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...s-Video-Thread
it is mostly just normal people showing videos of theirs in flight, and i put a few of mine in there as well. these things are extremely versatile and very addictive to fly and a great deal of fun . some pretty cool stuff people can do with these things and this guy "Propsmoke", doing the slow piros on his fingertip... way too cool !

the only drawback so far is with parts. suppliers are slowly getting stuff in but not in any major quantities. with as tough as this thing is, i can tell you personally that it is almost "un-killable", you wouldn't need much to support it, with the exception for the motors on a periodic basis depending on your flying habits, and suppliers will eventually get in decent supplies for everyone.
spoonerrw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just fried a motor today. Still flies but won't lift more than a foot off the ground. It's the front CW motor. It is the same motor as the 120sr but you can't pull the gear... I wired it up and it works but no gear. I've read that 180qx or MQX are the same motors as well. But for the same price why not buy the prewired Alias motors? Got 2 on order.ay as well get 4 I guess.
myvrodrocks1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's a nice looking little quad with some cool features.

I have a bunch of these things. Nano QX, v939, v959 etc and some home built ones with various FCs.

I'm not really a Blade fan but... Nothing flies as beautifully as the Nano QX. IMHO :-)
xpantz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpantz View Post
Nothing flies as beautifully as the Nano QX. IMHO :-)
My experience as well. It flies exactly as "it should".

I do not find pre programmed flips and rolls so attractive, agree on the bad habits thing.
personal drones is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in