Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail grounding

Hi,

Is it ok to ground the tail to the negative pole on the flight pack ? Have a FBL unit acting up a bit so want to eliminate most of the possible problems. Havent seen anyone grounding the tail on the pantera but can't do any harm I guess ?

This is an electric pantera.

--
Rasmus F
rfauske is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hrmmmm.... don't think I've ever read a Pantera post related to static discharge. We are running a belt driven tail so I suppose an ESD situation could occur.

I know there are a good number of threads on the Logo forums related to preventing belt induced ESD. Grounding the boom by whatever means seemed to be a popular answer.

Again, I've not heard of anyone having an ESD problem with the Pantera. Doesn't mean it can't happen... just sayin...

What FBL system are you using? If you're talking an 3G FBL unit, I think there have been many posts about "glitches". Helipainter has experienced the 3G issue If I remember correctly.

VBAR seems to be very intolerant of vibrations from what I've read.

BeastX seems to be a very tolerant FBL controller, and my experience with the Skookum 360 (old school I know ) has been that it is very forgiving.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that whatever you're chasing, it's not going to be related to ESD.On the other hand, I understand having to run down every path of possibility until a resolution to a problem has been found!

Good luck and let us know what you find as you chase this ghost!
Saved to the uttermost!!!
forvols is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I had infact problems with noice on my ESC aswell (YGE) so it was shutting down at times, but will try again tomorrow without the switching BEC (switching to unregulated LiFe) and grounding of the programming cable on the ESC (as recommended by YGE). So now I have one ground going from the tail to the negative on the flight pack and to the escs programming port.

The FBL unit is a Tarot ZYX as I am moving my BeastX to my new 7HV.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 2.4GHz Radio link?

If anything, lightly sand both ends of the boom to remove anodized finish...this will put the tail case & frame at nearly the same potential.

I've metered (with Static VM) and recorded readings as high as 13KV (enough to arc) but this was under extreme dry winter conditions with less than 25% Relative humidity.
Silicon spray on the belt would help quench the build-up...as does nitro exhaust.

Since moving gyro platform to above elevator servo AND returning to stock metal booms over Carbon Fiber Booms...I've had no worries or reason to think static discharge was an issue.

Good luck.

P.S. - another point to consider on my setup...I use a metal tail output pulley...but have seen many other stock & no known issues.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A year ago I was testing a new P5 on a cold dry day in January with a newly painted fiberglass canopy which had a little static in it. Was using a Optic 6 receiver and it locked out during a hover at three feet. She just slowly settled to the ground and ran a full tank at high idle. I put silicone on the tail belt and anti static spray in canopy and I am still using system in my Panteras.
craigr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default It works :)

Hi,

It definitivly was static screwing with the FBL unit (and the other parts) instead of just running the ground cable from the tail to the negative pole on the flight pack I now took away some of the covering of the cable where it passes the belt (approx 5 mm away from the belt) and after doing that I cant make it do stupid movements on any of the servos.

Tail kick went away and all irregular servo movements on the swash (at least during the 5 minute test run in the garage as it is raining allot)

So if anyone else has a problem like this it is an easy thing to try
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail-1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	293900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail-2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	293901  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in