Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MCPx vs. Mini CP

Anyone care to share their thoughts between these two?
mammothtarm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know about the MCPx itself but an MCPx motor in a Mini makes the Mini a pocket rocket more so than a Genius motor in the Mini.

For what it's worth.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got both. Both are pretty durable for a beginner, but like anything cp, they won't hold up forever, no matter which one you choose. The mini cp is a pretty durable little bird though. Flies really nicely, and outperforms my stock mcpx. I own a genius though, and prefer the performance of that over my mcpx also. I had a chance to have some fun with a mini cp recently and it was a pretty cool little heli. A bit more stable than my genius, and seemed to handle sport and 3d flying a little better too. Both the genius and the mini outperform my mcpx in the 3d area, but the mcpx is a little more stable in a hover. The mcpx isn't quite as aggressive with quick cyclic response, which is in part due to the servo style. I dont really care for this aspect of it. The linkages are also not adjustable on the mcpx, so you can't fine tune blade tracking like you can on the genius and mini.

You can also add a BL conversion to either brand, blade or walkera, and make them both pretty fast if you get used to the power and want something more. The install was easier and more straightforward on my walkeras, and they seem to handle the extra power and head speed a tad better.

Either way, you can't really go wrong, but the mini cp is the newest, hottest micro with all the latest tech in it, including the new fbl system. It's gonna be your best bet for a micro that won't get old anytime soon

Also, the stock transmitter that comes with the mcpx isn't the greatest and the heli really benefits from an upgrade like a dx6 or greater. The stock walkera transmitters are a little more programmable and versatile. The mcpx may look cheaper, but to get it to perform like the mini, you'd have to spring for a bnf mcpx with a dx6 separately. Whereas the mini of genius will come with the transmitter you'll need.
// WK2801 // Spektrum DX4e //
jonbailie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen the mini cp for sale with the Devo 7. Is this a decent tx compared to my DX6i as far as programming dr and expo and such?

I have been thinking about getting an MCPX but the mini cp looks nice as well for a cp bird. I've also been eyeing the V120D02S. Can you say kid in a candy store with this new hobby I've found? Lol
Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huma View Post
I've seen the mini cp for sale with the Devo 7. Is this a decent tx compared to my DX6i as far as programming dr and expo and such?

I have been thinking about getting an MCPX but the mini cp looks nice as well for a cp bird. I've also been eyeing the V120D02S. Can you say kid in a candy store with this new hobby I've found? Lol
I have both the mini cp with devo 7 and a mcpx v2, i used to have a dx6i now use the dx7

firstly on the radios the sticks on the devo 7 do feel better than the dx6i it has a few more features 3 position flight mode switch more mixes more model memory, however it has a very simple display and the navigation is a pain and no graphs for pitch, and throttle curves.

The dx6i is very easy to use compatible with all the bind and fly models more people use it so easy to get help buddy with someone to help with flying, personally i dont like the dx6i if you want to go with spektrum spend the extra and get a dx7 or dx7s

Now the Helis both have their advantages and disadvantages

The v2 mcpx is a good heli the tail blows out a little if you run too much pitch, a little less power than the mini cp, it is very stable in a hover but moves a little quicker out of a hover the linear servos are not as precise as the real mini cp servos But do not strip like the mini cp servos, i find it is a little more crashable only thing that really breaks are linkage rods, tail boom, canopy mounts. The problem with the mcpx begins when you start to do 3d when you do a flip the tail will blow out most likely resulting in a crash (unless you have very good pitch management) a 2mm carbon rod extended to 140mm and using a genius/ mini cp tail motor solves that problem im running 100% pitch and no tail blowout.

The mini cp is very stable in a hover moving out of a hover and is more precise because of the servos, it has more power so at the same pitch travel feels more responsive, the rx seems to have inbuilt expo so it is more docile than the mcpx, the tail holds rock solid in flips and general 3d flying, The tail boom is square which i prefer over the mcpx round as it is less prone to twisting and easier to mount in the frame, it is also very crashable however the servo gears do strip on crashes and it is more work to fix them so it doesent have as much as that crash and walk over and pick it up fly again aspect there is a servo saver mod you can do that apparantly works very well. the mini cp is set up more like a real heli real servos proper linkages to adjust blade tracking. the mini cp rx has inbuilt telemetry which is a cool function if you have a devo 6s 8s or 12s.

The problem i have found is that i feel like i am almost fighting the mini cp in hurricanes funnels and figure 8s it almost wants to pitch up a little and get out of the banked manouver, the mcpx does not have this problem it holds its angle very well. The firmware in the rx in the mini cp can be updated so hopefully the will come out with a fix for this problem.

If you are just starting and do not have a transmitter i would go with the mini cp devo 8s combo and do the servo saver mod on the servos it does outperform the mcpx and is easier to fly, easier to upgrade to brushless, parts are just as cheap if not cheaper but when you order, order many as your local hobby shop will not have spares on the shelf.

you really cant go wrong with either heli mcpx just requires a few little mods to work as well.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions
hoggy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice to see some unbiased posts

You won't really get that in the blade forums.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbailie View Post
You won't really get that in the blade forums.
Haha, so true

I think I'll get me a Mini CP in a month or two, I already have a good Tx, which Devo do you guys suggest, don't really wanna spend much money..
robi1kenobi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've heard that the Devo 7 is a pain in the butt to program. Looking at guys programming it on youtube leaves me confused. Is it as bad as it looks?
TexasC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

look at the servos and the heli in general..then decide..

just by looking at them you can tell which flys better.. mcpx looks like those helis they sell at target and radioshack.. it still blows my mind people are still buying them, except the fact that it is a cheaper alternative if you already own a horizon radio.
sebo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggy View Post
I have both the mini cp with devo 7 and a mcpx v2, i used to have a dx6i now use the dx7

firstly on the radios the sticks on the devo 7 do feel better than the dx6i it has a few more features 3 position flight mode switch more mixes more model memory, however it has a very simple display and the navigation is a pain and no graphs for pitch, and throttle curves.

The dx6i is very easy to use compatible with all the bind and fly models more people use it so easy to get help buddy with someone to help with flying, personally i dont like the dx6i if you want to go with spektrum spend the extra and get a dx7 or dx7s

Now the Helis both have their advantages and disadvantages

The v2 mcpx is a good heli the tail blows out a little if you run too much pitch, a little less power than the mini cp, it is very stable in a hover but moves a little quicker out of a hover the linear servos are not as precise as the real mini cp servos But do not strip like the mini cp servos, i find it is a little more crashable only thing that really breaks are linkage rods, tail boom, canopy mounts. The problem with the mcpx begins when you start to do 3d when you do a flip the tail will blow out most likely resulting in a crash (unless you have very good pitch management) a 2mm carbon rod extended to 140mm and using a genius/ mini cp tail motor solves that problem im running 100% pitch and no tail blowout.

The mini cp is very stable in a hover moving out of a hover and is more precise because of the servos, it has more power so at the same pitch travel feels more responsive, the rx seems to have inbuilt expo so it is more docile than the mcpx, the tail holds rock solid in flips and general 3d flying, The tail boom is square which i prefer over the mcpx round as it is less prone to twisting and easier to mount in the frame, it is also very crashable however the servo gears do strip on crashes and it is more work to fix them so it doesent have as much as that crash and walk over and pick it up fly again aspect there is a servo saver mod you can do that apparantly works very well. the mini cp is set up more like a real heli real servos proper linkages to adjust blade tracking. the mini cp rx has inbuilt telemetry which is a cool function if you have a devo 6s 8s or 12s.

The problem i have found is that i feel like i am almost fighting the mini cp in hurricanes funnels and figure 8s it almost wants to pitch up a little and get out of the banked manouver, the mcpx does not have this problem it holds its angle very well. The firmware in the rx in the mini cp can be updated so hopefully the will come out with a fix for this problem.

If you are just starting and do not have a transmitter i would go with the mini cp devo 8s combo and do the servo saver mod on the servos it does outperform the mcpx and is easier to fly, easier to upgrade to brushless, parts are just as cheap if not cheaper but when you order, order many as your local hobby shop will not have spares on the shelf.

you really cant go wrong with either heli mcpx just requires a few little mods to work as well.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions
Hoggy,

Thanks for the comparison. Very informative. I am thinking since I already have a DX6i that I will wind up grabbing a MCPX v2 to learn CP with.

Later on I believe I may go with a Mini CP with the devo 8s when I have a little more money to spend. Having the spektrum stuff already that kind of keeps me in the blade lineup for now, but I definately like the servo setup on the Walkera stuff. I will eventually be getting one of those as well.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your replies. I have decided to stick with the MCPx and Genius for the moment. The sticking points for me were that I would have to get a new Devo transmitter and also the reported 2 minutes of flight time is inadequate for inverted flight training. I can't get my Genius back into flying shape yet but I was able to do so with the MCPx and DX4e transmitter. In fact, I bought and maidened a MCPx Ver 2 today. What I like about the MCPx is that it is much simpler and more "plug n play" than Walkera models. The vast majority of crash damage can be repaired on sites at the flying field. Whereas quite often, I had to take my V120D02S home for repairs.

I am using the MCPx to learn inverted flight and so far it had performed quite well. Certainly, it is much more docile than the V120D02S. I would have continued using the V120D02S but the fact that everything started to go wrong last month, especially with damaged servos and receivers. Also, there were lots of problems with the power system and tail holding. There are so many potential problems that I will probably have to buy a new one. I am still a great fan of the V120D02S and it has taught just about everything I know about basic 3D. But it is time to move onto a more durable heli for inverted flight. I will try to fix the Genius sometime in the near future.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

what about flight times of the mini cp?
sharkl_fighter78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default first cp heli?

what would be a good first cp heli for me ? i have time on a v911 FP 4ch and time on 3ch co-ax
sharkl_fighter78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mini has poor flight times with the stock motor. The easy way to get more runtime is to install a genius motor. Its as simple as removing 2 bolts and unplugging the old motor, and installing the genius motor with 2 bolts and plug it in. I was getting 7min of indoor flight with the genius motor. It had great speed and pitch pumps were nice also. I also used a genius main gear which gives a little more flight time.

My genius motor died though from a broken wire leading into the top of the can. So I went brushless with a c05 and a walkera wk-wks-10a-lt esc. Simple install, remove the 2 screws for the old motor, install the c05 brushless motor after making the bolt holes a little longer on the frame. unplug the old motor and plug the esc into the same spot. I soldered my motor to the esc but some come with plugs. I also soldered the power cables from the esc to the power cables coming out of the minicp's board(the cable that goes to the battery)

I was getting 7+ minutes of indoor flight on the c05 with genius main gear and 7tooth pinion. I lost my pinion in a crash so I installed the pinion from the dead genius motor onto the c05. Its a 9tooth pinion and on the first run I did a pitch pump not expecting the power. BAM right into the ceiling! WOW, but flight times are considerably lower. 3 1/2 min of flipping , I have an 8t pinion in the mail though.

Now I bought my minicp with a devo 7 since thats all I could afford. There would be now way for me to afford a mcpx with a dx6i. The Devo7 was hard to learn at first. There are a few videos out there that show you how to program it. After watching a few of those I am able to breeze right through the menus. Its very easy now and I love my Devo7 I wish I had a Devo8 or 12 but I couldnt afford it. The devo7 also doesnt have the setting where you stop the timer and restart the timer by pushing the throttle. That would be nice. The Devo 7 is also easy to read in sunlight and has all the settings anyone would most likely need.

The minicp is a stable flier, I have learned more in 3 months flying my mini than in 2 years flying my 450 clone. The minicp is a great little heli for someone coming from a fixed pitch heli. I would spend a little time on a sim first though since flying a cp heli is like balancing a marble on a sheet of glass. The settings can be dumbed down a little to make it like a marble on a sheet of glass thats been covered in syrup.

I was able to learn flipping on my first day of trying with the mini. The next day I was trying inverted hovering and managed a 5sec inverted hover. The heli is just as stable upside down as it is right side up. I have the servo saver mod done so no more stripped gears! Without the mod the gears will most likely strip on a crash. The 2nd day of flipping and inverted I flew 16 packs of batteries , one right after another. I crashed more then 5 times a pack. I would have to reset my servo arms and thats it and I was flying again in 5 seconds. I had gorilla glued my tail boom where it enters the fuse since I had cracked the boom there. On my 16th battery pack I seen a crack in the glue, I wasnt thinking and I peeled off the glue there. well on my 17th battery i broke the tail boom.

So there are a few things that need to be done to the mini to make it crash proof. I will always fly my mini with gorilla glue on the boom where it enters the fusealage. I put the glue so it touches the fuse and leads back about an inch down the boom. I also wouldnt fly without the servo saver mod. I then bought small orings for the feathering shaft and there is no play on the blade grips. There is a little electrical coil on the mini's board that can come off in a crash, Walkera is now putting a dab of silicone on them , It doesnt hold it though. Epoxy or gorilla glue it. Glue the battery wires with epoxy or gorilla glue where they come off the board. There is also a little black antennae wire that needs to be glued down. Someone reported their mini's board fried when the wire touched the side of the motor. I also put glue on the two carbon rods that hold the canopy, I put glue on where they come out of the plastic and covefr about 1/4 of the rod. I destroyed my canopy in 3 pieces but the rods held just fine.

Since having the minicp since feb. I have broken 1 main blade, IT has a crack in it but could still fly, I have broken the tail boom, and the tail fin. I broke the first two pins that hold the landing gear on. I flew forever with one pin missing, the second pin grounded me until I glued little carbon rods in. I have stripped 2 servos before I did the servo saver mod. I have destroyed the canopy. I also broke a wire leading into the genius motor I was using. Not bad I would say!

I also just posted about a setting that I had found on a chinese website that gives different levels of performance out of the mini. There is a little pot or screw on the mini's board. Turning the screw to different "o'clock" settings will give a super slow moving heli, Very lethargic feeling, to almost uncontrollably nimble. The minis board is very new technologically and only needs one pot/screw instead of the genius which has a whole bunch.

Some people say the minicp has a hard time doing funnels etc but I asked to show me a video with the pot/screw set at the most extreme setting but no one has. IT seemed all the 3d guys gave up on the mini and sold it or turned it into a fpv(flying camera)heli. They had all given up BEFORE i had posted what the pot. did on different settings. It was listed as a ail/ele gyro pot/screw.

Hope all of that helps you. You are so lucky to be starting this heli with one of these indestructable heli's! You are going to learn a lot faster then the guys who started flying 2 years ago like me. I wish I would have had a minicp when i started flying helis. Instead I had a venom night ranger 3d, IT was awful and glitchy. I then got a blade msr and learned forwaqrd flight and a little backward. I then got a arttech falcon 3d which was ok, I then bought a 450 pro clone kit from ebay for 54$ All I learned from that was fast forward flight and a little backward and a little of the heli facing me. I flew with my knuckles white. I was always scared to crash cause i knew i would have to fix a bunch of stuff. I just couldnt learn things quickly since I was so scared to fail.

The mini has given me so much confidence that I will try almost any trick. I am not scared to crash, I know hardly anything will happen to it. Well, good luck!

Here is a video of my mini when I had the genius motor
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtfTnoW_0u8[/ame]
mescalinedream is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkl_fighter78 View Post
what would be a good first cp heli for me ? i have time on a v911 FP 4ch and time on 3ch co-ax
One thing you have to consider is whether you would like to be able to buy parts and get support at your local hobby shop. If you are in the US, I would imagine that it would be very easy to get MCPx parts. Also, there is great support for the MCPx from Horizon Hobbies.

However, you would have to get a DX6i transmitter in order to get the same functionality of the Devo transmitters that come with the Mini CP. Therefore, the downside is that you will have to pay much more for the MCPx. All things being equal, you have to decide whether the extra cost is worth the local support available.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most of the time, when I order my blade parts, I do it online anyway. It's easier for me, rather than going to the hobby shop, which is 25 miles away. My LHS doesn't always have the part I need, either. If you order from one of the four US-based walkera dealers (see below), you can choose the cheap ($5-ish) USPS priority shipping option which will get you your part in 2 shipping days, and most times, the parts will ship out the same day or the next day from when you placed the order.

Having to buy online shouldn't deter you from enjoying these new micro walkeras. They are fantastic little helicopters, and I think everyone deserves to fly them at one point. It's always a good idea to stock up on certain parts before you actually crash, anyway, so ordering online isn't necessarily what you will always have to do.

Don't let the thought of ordering online prevent you from enjoying these new models from walkera It's only a 2 or 3 day affair

Check these shops out... You are bound to get whichever part you need from one of these places:

www.wowhobbies.com
www.clubheli.com
www.helircstore.com
www.helidirect.com

You should never have to order from an overseas retailer, unless you just find a crazy price on a helicopter or something. Ordering overseas will cost you about a week or more of shipping time. Order from the US and you'll be fine. To be honest, I'd rather order from a US-website for either my blade helis, or walkera helis, rather than travel to the hobby shop to try to find a part they may not actually have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in