Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Explain IU...Idle-Up..howto..

Can someone explain idle-up, how to set a dx7s to do idle-up on blade450, How does idle-up work...will heli jump up off the ground if you hit a switch to idle-up...confused...thanks all for ur help...post any video on idle-up if there are any.
Hoppy1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Before electric became popular and we just flew nitro it was called idle up because you would start a nitro in normal mode with a slow head speed and then flick it into idle up which would increase the revs (idle up) and switch to a different set of throttle and pitch curves.

It also goes by several other names stunt mode, flight mode depending on your brand of radio.

All it really means is you are switching to a different set of TC an PC curves
In normal mode your lowest throttle position will be 0 and your motor will be off but in idle up there will be no off position and you have the full range of pitch so you can do 3D. Depending on how you set you pitch curves and throttle curves it does not need to jump on the ground if they match.

On your radio DX7S its called f mode and you will have 0 and 1 positions.

Its entirely a personal preference how you set it up to your flying style and helicopter.
ozflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you immediately switch to IU after plugging in battery, you will not jump off the ground. The ESC has a 'soft start' feature which will slowly spool the motor up to the max TC you have set. This is how I always take off. I never use normal mode. The only exception is if you activate throttle hold after being in IU. If you don't wait at least 10 seconds, the motor will immediately go to full TC power. This is primarily for if you accidentally flip TH while flying.

IU is also good for non 3D flight. Having a consistent and constant head speed makes the heli response more predictable, agile and resistant to wind.
jrwalte is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Explain IU...Idle-Up..howto..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
If you immediately switch to IU after plugging in battery, you will not jump off the ground. The ESC has a 'soft start' feature which will slowly spool the motor up to the max TC you have set. This is how I always take off. I never use normal mode. The only exception is if you activate throttle hold after being in IU. If you don't wait at least 10 seconds, the motor will immediately go to full TC power. This is primarily for if you accidentally flip TH while flying.

IU is also good for non 3D flight. Having a consistent and constant head speed makes the heli response more predictable, agile and resistant to wind.
Be careful with this, as your ESC may have a soft start feature, not all of them do.

Anyways when your pitch curves are set properly, switching between any flight modes should not cause any significant jump.
MontrealSi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In this context, we're speaking of the B450 3D, and its ESC does have soft start. It is not programmable and it works as I posted.
jrwalte is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Explain IU...Idle-Up..howto..

One of the reasons I really like to use IU for sport mode is because it makes it much quicker to react to altitude changes brought on by wind gusts ,as previously mentioned, which also helps when landing but you have to make sure to hit throttle hold when on the ground and not drop the stick as this can break skids. Once i started flying IU all the time my skill improved dramatically and quite quickly. I recently learned that high headspeed and high control rates do make for a sensitive heli but you gain the ability to recover from some scary situations much easier.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in