Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default is it the esc or the motor??

I have a turnigy typhoon 2218 brushless motor paired up with a 30 amp plush esc (turnigy as well). I used a Hyperion 35c 1800 mah 3s lipo pack.

when i went to hover the battery only lasted for about 1 minute in hover and then the low voltage cutoff activate.

This happened with three different hyperion batteries, all 3s 35C 1800mah. after the run, the esc was extremely hot and the battery was pretty hot too.

I just finished charging one of the hyperions and it had to put back in 1900 mah!!! to fully charge it.

obviously there is something seriously wrong, there is nothing wrong with the battery packs, i fly them in my blade 400 for 6 mins and only have to put back in around 1250 mah so that end is good.

that leaves the esc and motor in question. incidentally, my headspeed is also really low (can barely get the heli 1 ft. off the ground, and that's at full throttle 100% and +13 degrees blade pitch.

what do you guys think i need to replace next? the esc or the motor?

the motor is running a 15 tooth pinion on the "blue" align main gear

this is all being run in a hk450 clone
ramsdellcp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default additional info

I just thought of this and am thinking this could be the possible reason for everything over heating, the tail servo is a cheap knockoff and when in hover the tail response is extremely lazy, almost like the servo doesn't have enough oomph to hold a pitch and when i test the servo by putting in rudder left and right inputs it does not exactly move quickly, for any given rudder input, it moves quickly for the first half of the travel but when it reaches the end points it slows down quite a bit and does a slow "slide" to the end point

what do you guys think about that? i'm thinking about replacing the tail servo and going from there, but I already have $210 into this heli ($150 for the kit /w electronics and $60 replacement tail assembly in cnc aluminum and cf stabilizer fins) and am not sure I want to continue spending the money on this chopper since it is only a clone. it is tempting to just buy a new 450 t-rex pro kit at this point, but then again i've spent so much money on this heli it seems like the logical choice to just spend the extra $150 or so to get the tail servo, esc and motor, but even then I'm not sure if it will fly well since I haven't had the chance to do any circuits with it.

totally confused on what to do.
ramsdellcp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Last edited by pwoodyp; 05-30-2010 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: muk wok tuc muk
pwoodyp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

this sounds more like you have a binding issue with the pinon and main gear or the esc is under-rated for the motor. Most people I know with a 450 use a 45 amp esc or better. I run a 45 am esc and after flying its warm to touch.

easiest thing to check is the specs on the motor and to see if your binding on the pinon and main gear. IE: no tolerance or backlash between the pinon and main gear.

as for your tail servo, if definately sounds like there is something wrong there as it should maintain speed right up until the end of its travel (at least thats what I think, I could be wrong).
marty_one is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in