Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

landriverse, your comments have no basis in fact and worse, are offensive. Since you put words in my mouth, let's see what actually has been said.

First, you contacted me as Getal and wrote this . . .I tried to enter the servo give away.but it takes me to a closed link. I also put on demonstrations at local schools and youth centers.and am in need of a sponsor.I use a few online shops but have yet to have someone help with servos. Any donations would be helpful. Our goal is to encourage kids to stay in school.without an education this hobby would not survive. Thanks

I responded with this . . .We're a small business and price our servos at wholesale for everybody, so there are no discounts available. Neither do we sponsor activities, sorry . . . but good on you for your efforts, attaboy! It takes dedicated modelers like you, each giving back to their community. My club does similar.As for entering the giveaway, I just tried it and it works for me so what is happening when you try? What it's 'supposed' to do it open an email message with your email address as the message, and all you have to do is press send. Anyway, let me know what it's doing wrong and I'll try to correct the problem so you may enter.

Finally, next time you send a message, please include your complete name so I may respond with more confidence.

Next, you responded as Geral Wilson when you wrote . . .I believe I'll go with a different brand.one that has sponsored me in the past ...thanks

To which I responded . . .You are quite welcome.

. . . and now you come here as landsriverse and make these two posts. So let everybody judge for themselves because I'm known and have a good reputation.

You, on the other hand, seem to principally be a troll of the worst kind, e.g. not just looking for a handout, but also playing play fast and loose with the truth, and vindictive because when you didn't get your way you've come to this forum and attempted to damage my reputation with your lies and innuendo.

However, your being a liar is one thing, which is quite easy to disprove by using your own words. Fortunately, your innuendo is also easy to disprove too because November's winner has been named (within this thread no less), and his name is posted elsewhere.

Further to the point, you have no right to impune my reputation. You should apologize, and not just to me, but to everybody here because you have acted in the most childish and irresponsible manner. More than anything though, you should be ashamed.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Amen
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thank you John! That's how you speak the truth my friends!
N3M0 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Worked for me also. I am from canada and am visiting Daytona beach. I called John today ( saturday) and he told me I could come to his warehouse and pick up 8 new servos. I was so happy with Him and what He does that I spent a few hundred more dollars on other stuff. He never new me from adam.
jake21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

It appeared for me after refreshing the linked page about 30 times. With that said I noticed other companies ads appear much more often...ie Avant Mostro and a few others. The giveaway ad rarely makes an appearance.

Anyway I think I will be using these servos in a lot of my future builds. I think high end servos from well recognized brands currently on the market are way overpriced. I want to support the "little guy" who is spending everything he has to get awesome quality and reasonably priced products to market.

Thanks John
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've not been extremely technical in my testing of the banner adds, but after 30 refreshes, I never saw the ProModeler banner once. I did however see the Avant banner 15 times. RediHeli, Canomod, and Compass also had a high occurrence, but not as much as Avant.

Having said that, I've not repeated my tests across several days. I do know that even using a computer generated "random" number (which technically is not random), you can experience some rather strange results that at first glance don't appear to be random. If however, the same banner continues to "break the odds" on an ongoing and consistant basis, then I think you have to call it what it is... Not a completely random event.
Saved to the uttermost!!!
forvols is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont trust helifreak and Runryder, as they both seem equally shady forums. But as long as Audacity hangs its hat here....here I am...

I plan to buy a lot of JB's new servos for my models. But I will never again buy Nexus servos as I am still soured they left me hanging with no parts support in the US. I wish JB never touched those Korean servos to start with as now Im in a bind for parts....

I hope the PDR servos blow my socks off...I havent bought any YET.
Garland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: audacity servos

Yeah, I need servos for my Hurricane 550. I have old 6635 hitechs (if I remember correctly). They are about the lowest performance digitals out there, designed to be a budget digital servo a number of years ago. Work horses though, and reliable. They just aren't quite up to par with newer ones. I have some porpoiseing at high forward speed that I hope will go away (again, not my Pantera) with new servos. I just have to wait a bit for my bank account to recover after Christmas. My wife was in charge and started shopping early this year, but ended late! :banghead:

Matt

Pantera P5 50 RNFBL, Blade 130X, mcpx, Gaui X5 FES
flyingquisinart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hiya John B.

Could you please advise the mounting hole spacings for your 140 oz-in servo and the 110 oz-in super gyro servo? I've got a project underway and these servos could fit the bill nicely.

Could you also share how your speed ratings are measured? I'm sure it won't make a zot of difference to me, but I presume the quoted speed of say 0.11 sec/60° is simply the time taken for the servo to actually travel through the stated angle i.e. includes the period where the angular speed ramps up, then remains constant, then slows down. IIRC at least one of the big name servo makers was a bit sneaky in advertising their speed specs - they "ignored" the ramp up and ramp down time. They were really quoting the maximum °/sec value during the sweep, then calculating the time it would take to travel 60° at that rate.

And what do you think about the following ideas:

1. A servo pigtail that was actually a 3 pin connector at the servo body? That way we could just buy leads of appropriate length to get a shmicko wiring job done. And we wouldn't have to disturb wiring layouts when its time for servo gear replacement after a good lawn dart If the servo had multiple connectors then there would be a few options for super neat wiring runs.

2. A servo arm arrangement similar to that used on the Beam Avantgarde 600 (splined cap over the servo output shaft with a lever arm that is then a friction fit over the cap). This would allow mechanical setup with zero sub-trim, but also a controlled slip mechanism to help save servo gear damage following that same lawn dart.

Of course, I'm happy to be told my ideas are crud - it's not my call.

I congratulate you on getting your servos, and the entire Audacity range for that matter, to market. You are obviously a clever chap and have learned much more about heli related stuff than most of us ever will combined.

If you don't mind, I'm intending to email you again about your 4 bladed head. That's also a good candidate for my project but will need some advice on blade choice and head speed.

Cheers.
brw0513 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think your two ideas are good. The free floating servo arms have been proven and used by a few manufacturers. The removeable servo pigtail idea was introduced by Spektrum not too long ago and included in the large Blade heli combos. I don't know how durable they are but I guess you could use silicone glue for reassurance.
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default audacity servos

Unexpectedly, I'm in need of those nice HVBL Promodeler servos. My wife just bought me a Goblin 700 Speed heli for my birthday. :

I'm planning to equip it with JB's electronics all around: servos, motor, ESC. Then an iKon and 2200mAh LiPo Rx pack and should be good to go for about 2/3 the price that the Jones' pay for their equipment. Kontronic pfft :p
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
Unexpectedly, I'm in need of those nice HVBL Promodeler servos. My wife just bought me a Goblin 700 Speed heli for my birthday. :

I'm planning to equip it with JB's electronics all around: servos, motor, ESC. Then an iKon and 2200mAh LiPo Rx pack and should be good to go for about 2/3 the price that the Jones' pay for their equipment. Kontronic pfft :p
A Robird G31 costs about a third what the iKon does and it's a very good unit. The US seller has good customer support too.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

In regard to the ESC remember that the one from John does not have active freewheeling, So be a bit careful if you plan to run a wide variety of headspeeds during flight. This is the reason why I use YGE on my Rush as I only use a 53% throttle curve to get the right headspeed.
rfauske is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Your wife is a keeper
You will not be disappointed with the HVBL Promodeler servos
Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind folks I don't monitor this forum closely so if you need an answer more quickly, a call or an email is far and away the better method.

Atomic Skull - re: Robird - I've too heard good things about these, but haven't tried one. I'll say this, there have been several folks who tried to sell us on what I perceived as clones of the BeastX FBL gyro (of which I have a few). I passed because I didn't like their business practice (and I don't know about the Robird, one way, or the other).

distructor - how do you like the HC3SX? Hard to set up, e.g. it becomes yet another hobby to master, like some of the FBL units out there?

rfauske - correct, no active freewheeling. There are tradeoffs in those design and we decided to not go down that road preferring instead to try and right size the system versus compromising for those who don't fly principally at 80-100 of power. Moreover, we recently looked at this design decision again (we're about to release a new 120A HV ESC) and decided to stay the course. Different strokes and all that jazz, e.g. there's room for all kinds.

brw0513 - re: mounting hole pattern - 1.9" x .39" (or close enough to 48x10mm to call it). My advice is do as I do; if replacing an existing servo and the hole pattern isn't quite right, just fill it in and re-drill. For example, if in a wood model airplane, just CA a toothpick into the existing hole and trim it off flush with an X-Acto. In a heli, there's usually some wiggle room because all servos are slightly different from each other (us included) but usually the hole patterns are all close enough to work.

To brw0513:
1. Plug on the case - we actually considered it but on further reflection decided we didn't want to complicate our lives. Why? It's because it makes sealing the unit more difficult and is more costly while not offering enough benefit to outweigh the added parts, e.g. potential new point of failure. Especially once you consider how the exiting system makes the connection happen in space versus at a hard point where vibration can play havoc.

2. Again, I'm leery of complication, this time in a mechanical slip system of the servo arm. Frankly, I prefer the simplicity of an engineering polymer (plastic) servo arm because it acts as the fuse, e.g. the designed failure point. However, modelers love metal arms so we're going to offer these as well but with the secure mechanical system of matching splines, which will require some subtrim to optimize.

Speaking of subtrim, (and please don't take this as aimed specifically at you brw0513 because this is a topic I see a lot of), I really don't understand the reluctance to use the radio's built in system for centering the arm on the servo. Why? Simply because the system designers created this function (an offset) specifically to account for slight mechanical imperfections in linkages. Hence, I call foul about the practical effects of more throw in one direction than the another.

Ultimately, I believe this is just so much storytelling due to the unknowing (with too much time on their hands) raising questions and theorizing about what they know little to nothing about. Why do I say this? It's because of a discussion I once had with a real radio system designer, which left no doubt this offset is accounted for and is thus, of no concern whatsoever. That it continues to come up is seemingly due to internet and how all the old wives tales take on a life of their own, e.g. they're perpetuated by repetition and the pervasiveness of the Internet makes it even worse!

To the specific point . . . raise your hand if you truly believe you can tell any difference whatsoever in a model when setup using some subtrim. I know I can't and speaking for our servos, the included polymer servo arms have mechanical offset built into the splines. Basically, if you take a 6-arm servo wheel and rotate it form one arm to another, each time an arm comes into position there is a slight offset. This is by intent because it lets you get it really, really, close to mechanically perfect center. Follow this up with a little bit of subtrim (if any is needed) and it gets you well inside the ballpark - trust me on this.

In fact, each time someone brings it up I'm reminded of two things. First, the old engineer's joke about measuring with a micrometer, marking with a crayon, cutting with an axe (especially because folks just eyeball the arm in relation to the servo case to judge when it's at 90 degrees anyway). Second, it's akin to the bar room discussion (and of no greater import) of, how many angels can sit on the head of a pin? By the way, the answer is easy - measure the width of the pin head, measure the width of an angel's hind end, (use micrometers for both, of course) and divide one into the other and presto, the answer results!

Finally, we offer B22503S75C packs for those who grok what 75C brings to the table. Basically, if you're going to compare, do it against a quality pack like a Thunder Power not a cheapo pack from HobbyKing. Why? It's because I don't have enough grains of sand in my hourglass to waste time on cheap LiPo packs and I certainly won't offer them to my friends. Essentially, I'm not really in the battery business. I only offer these to folks who appreciate what low internal resistance means in terms of pulling juice out of the cells (and fast recharging, too) but can't stand to pay what the brand name packs command in the way of price (and yes, I'm pretty sure I'm using the same source for the cells).

As for a warranty, there is none on batteries (servos carry a 1-year warranty). In fact, I won't even guarantee that it 'is' a battery pack. Why not? It's because I have zero control over how a pack is used (or abused) and if you shop around you'll see I don't price them to account for that kind of warranty coverage. FWIW, Chinese battery suppliers (and 100% of LiPo packs come from China) make you send the packs back to China. Basically, by the time that expense is factored in, it's a complete waste of time.

What I do is buy in small batches to assure you're getting fresh packs (I order monthly). Anyway, if my word isn't good enough, e.g. you don't trust my packs, I'm OK with that.
http://www.audacitymodels.com/search...earchText=pdrb
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745

Last edited by jbeech; 01-13-2014 at 08:37 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default audacity servos

Oh wow! A 75C Rx pack... Is that really necessary?
Goblin Speed | iKon
Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Overkill? Yes, absolutely! However, with more folks running high performance digital servos, the importance of low resistance receiver packs can't be overstated. Added to it, not only will these packs not break a sweat under high loads, but you can charge them really fast, too. It's a win-win for a very modest premium, especially considering we offer them for less than $30, which is in line with high quality NiMH receiver pack pricing.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
Atomic Skull - re: Robird - I've too heard good things about these, but haven't tried one. I'll say this, there have been several folks who tried to sell us on what I perceived as clones of the BeastX FBL gyro (of which I have a few). I passed because I didn't like their business practice (and I don't know about the Robird, one way, or the other).
The Robird G31 isn't a BeastX clone. The setup is completely different (it uses a PC setup, there is also a stick setup but almost nobody uses it) and it has vibration logging and a governor. (no nitro gov yet but there are videos of the beta nitro gov on the robird forum here) Setup is pretty simple, it's pretty much just install it walk through the setup screens and go fly

After setup is done this is all you need to adjust ("demo mode" just means the software isn't connected to the gyro)

Some people may not like this simplicity but personally I want an FBL controller that "just works".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	robird.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	476936  
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too seek simplicity because I'm not looking for a hobby within my hobby. Thanks for the info but further discussion should be within its own thread, please, because we're bird walking widely from the purpose of this one.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default audacity servos

So, did I win those servos? :p

The Goblin speed has been delivered :
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389064933.700348.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	477096
Goblin Speed | iKon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in