Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail Drifting

I have been trying to resolve as issue with the tail of new Trex 450 drifting. I have to give left stick to correct all the time. I use I have a 401 gyro and a Airtronics 94761Z and a RDS 8000. I have redone the entire set up (watching Finless Vids) and also lubed tail belt. Shortened the control rod for tail and replaced servo horn to get no center adjustment. Still I get the tail drift. I can turn the gyro up until the tail starts to wag and still it drifts. I see no vibration and nothing is touching the gyro case. I have gone through the setup and I turned all of the revo mix to 0% (low, mid and hign) Does this turn off Revo or is there another way to turn it off or should I turn down to a negative number not just 0.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks again
jvolpe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

make sure you have no rudder trim. check all flight modes, throttle hold for trim changes, and 0 subtrim.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also had the same issue for a while but went back and reset my gyro and resolved the issue.
A few check points:
1) 0 trim on tail
2) 0 delay on digital servo
3) When setting the tail up (centre point and range) ensure you are in rate mode (Remember to disconnect the motor wires if you are doing this from the idle switch as in Bob's video.)
4) Make sure the Heli is completely still when connecting the batt until the gyro initialises (1-2 seconds)
5) How is the gyro mounted? Use good quality double sided sticky pads. I once didn't have any so i mounted the Gyro with hook and loop! Not a good move!!!!

If you can trim out the drift then it sounds to me that you haven't set your centre point correctly.

Hope this helps... Others, please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong as I’m still a newbie myself! Good luck
Walkera Dragonflt #4 RC
Indoor Micro Heli
Darren253 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 03:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

A mate of mine had the same problem once. Taking off, landing, making adjustments again and again. He tried everything. I asked if the battery was fully charged. He said he had charged it up before he left to come to the field. But did you check it, i asked. So he load tested it to find it was nearly dead. He put another one in after checking that one and had to re adjust everything back again.
Always set up gyros on a full battery. Not saying that is your problem. It`s just suprising how many people forget that gyros don`t like low charged batteries.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I had the same issue with mine. I'm sure it was high frequency vibes that I could bot see or hear. I moved the gyro around on the heli and the effect would lessen or worsen. I finally junked that 450 and ordered another SA as a test bed for A123 and all of a sudden the heli worked and sounded smooth. The gyro issue went away. I am not sure why the difference in sound and vibes because I changed everything that would cause vibs in the old one but this new one runs so much smoother.

Anyway, try moving the gyro around and see what happens. I heard taping a nickel to the to the top of the gyro can help deaden high freq vibes. Give it a try and see if it changes anything.
RZ350Freak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the same issue and almost thought about killing myself trying to fix it.. LOL

Now I just learned to forget about it and just learn to fly with.... Tried everything I learned from the finless vids to no vail and even thought of stuff on my own with no success.... I'm not sure if it's the 401, but that is just the way it is I suppose...

Sux though for shure...
MrCLoWnY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fear the Spork!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCLoWnY View Post
I have the same issue and almost thought about killing myself trying to fix it.. LOL

Now I just learned to forget about it and just learn to fly with.... Tried everything I learned from the finless vids to no vail and even thought of stuff on my own with no success.... I'm not sure if it's the 401, but that is just the way it is I suppose...

Sux though for shure...
Did you initalize the gyro with heading hold on as you plug the lipo in? the gy401 is not supposed to drift whatsoever. maybe the mechanical neutral rudder has not been established.
Spork01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes!... to be clear i watched all of finless vids and sokal vids in the 400 blade sub forum... I'm not a mechanical engineer but I'm pretty sure it's setup correctly.....
MrCLoWnY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is this a new 'never been crashed' heli. Every bearing brand new and not 'notchy' ?

(Or anyone else's who is having inexplicable yawing)

Resolved this twice over the last two years replacing bad bearings. The yawing was to the left though in both cases. As if the vibes were causing the gyro to let go, instead of clawing it's way to where it is supposed to.

--

(Breath, relax, blink)
skydude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in