Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Charger. Help!

Ok, for christmas I am getting myself a 6s charger. I have been trying to find a power supply to work with a thunder power 610c charger. So my question is...

Will this: http://www.cmfhobbies.com/ULTRAPOWER...-240V/1032.htm

Work with this: http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/inde...page=2&sort=1a

Thanks to Boddan for telling me how to make one for myself. But seeing as christmas is coming I thought I might as well add a power supply to the list. Also, I suck at making things. I could try one day though lol..

Any info or advice appreciated.

EDIT: I would like to also thank copterboy for letting me borrow his charger while I looked for a better one. Thanks

-Jonny
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

No Probs J, glad it helps. My friend has just got a T-Rex 500, and is building it up at the moment. As my 450 t-rex is down till crimbo, I've lent him my spektrum Rx!!

I can't wait to see it fly ( and secretly hope he'll let me have a go one day...lol)

I'll have to let the others guide you on the PSU though as mine is borrowed from same friend, and I've never looked at buying one yet!!

Only 30 days to go is it??

Bad news if your ordering from deal extreme!!!
TRex600N, Kasama Head, OS50SX
copterboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jonny,

I don't know. Mine is a 20A power supply and when I try to charge my 600 batt it only charges at 3.3 or so amps. I don't know how all that electrical schtuff works amps and joules and newtrons and whatnot. I don't know if you multiply amperage times number of cells, that works out about right. I tell the charger to charge at 5.0 amps (for a 5000mAh batt) but it winds up maxing out at about 3.3. (which times 6 = approx 20 amps)

I don't know...anyone else smart on this. Is my 20A power supply limiting my charging cpability?

*edit* Nevermind...just checked the specs on my charger and it says max input 12v @ 10Amps so I would assume a 10 amp PS would be fine. But, no, really...I'd talk to somebody way smarter than me. LOL

T-Rex 600 GF, 600XL, Stock ESC, 11t, Align DS610's, s9251,GY601 gyro, AR6200, ZIPPY 6s1P FOREVER!
testpilot58d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jonnyheli
The Ultrapower ( if I may believe the specs) will do fine , I don't get the second link dough

testpilot58d
Can you post your equipment you use (charger ,power supply) I may be of help
Old 11-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Johnny
I'm selling my TP-610c. Comes with a Duratrax Compact Power Supply. 4 months old. All for a 45% discount.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=105054

kianhon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

That power supply will be plenty powerfull enough jonny.
Basically your charging around 12v, which is roughly the same as the input to thwe charger. So if your charging at max around 2.2-2.5A to the batteries that means you should only be drawing 3A absolubte max from the power supply at that rate so 10A is plenty
Brain, Your charger is probably limiting the charging speed then. If you can only have 10A input, and your charging a 6s pack on it thats an average of around 24v to the pack, so your current drawn from the power supply is doubled. That means if you want to charge at 5A your going to be drawing 10 plus the power to run the charger. So say 11A, Thats more than your charger can take. When the battery is getting full, the voltage will be getting to 25/26v, which will mean your charger again can only charge at 4.6A if it was 100% effecient. 3.5A ish is what i would expect with losses from the charger etc.

Kianhon's is a very nice set-up, but not sure what it would cost to get in the UK?? The thunder power charger is excellent, i have the larger 1010C version, and my neighbour just bought the 610c.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ber,
My equipment:
Maxpro X6
http://www.himodel.com/electric/Maxp...t_Charger.html

20 Amp Power Supply
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/powersupply.htm

Grant, I think I understand what you are saying. Basically because the charger is limited to 10A coming in on 12v, and I'm charging at around 25v to the batt, the charger is doubling voltage internally which doubles amperage draw. So ..

25/12= 2.083 ratio internally
lets say 1 amp to run the charger...maybe 2 when the fan is on.
Leaves 8 amps to work with.
8/2.083= 3.84

Sound about right? Thats about where the charger is limited at when charging 6s

T-Rex 600 GF, 600XL, Stock ESC, 11t, Align DS610's, s9251,GY601 gyro, AR6200, ZIPPY 6s1P FOREVER!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Brian you just earned a A+
Old 11-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Johnny I've made the power supply that Boddan suggested it is simple and if you already have a pc power supply(like me) it only cost $4US to complete a 12v 15-20+amp supply!(depending on the wattage) if you can use a drill and a soldiering iron you can make this power supply! I've been using mine since Halloween!(thanks again Boddan) It works great I have used it every day to charge 2 or more packs and I've used it to cycle 12v 10ah SLA batts. and I got no worries of lacking power hooked up to the charger I've had it put out 40 volts!(yes from 12v)
Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Brian, Just to chip in a little, I don't think your power supply is limiting your charge rate, it is more than man enough for your charger. As far as I can see, from the specs of your charger, it is simply a case that it has a maximum power 'output' of 100W, no matter how you break it down between current and voltage. Very roughly, in your case, you are charging a 6s pack which will require 25V. From P=IV you can see that this only allows for a maximum charge current of 4A. It is therefore not surprising that in practice you achieve a little under 4. This may in fact be a function of the output voltage of the charger being a little higher than the required 25V. In terms of voltage the output stage of your charger is limited to 32V, so it is probably somewhere between 25V and 32V when charging.

This seems right to me, but as always I am prepared to be told otherwise, lol.
sutty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Voltage times amps being drawn shows watts produced. Watts divided by voltage shows amps being drawn or watts divided by amperage shows voltage applied. Does that help?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just said that.

Edit: Sorry, just being silly, I actually said P=IV
Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, lot's of good replies. I don't have a clue what you guys are talking about lol. I can't think straight at the moment because there are too many replies to read.

All, I know is that the thunder power 610c charger can take a max of 10A (80 watts apparently) at 11-16V.

The power supply is 10A 12V So I thought it would work.

Will it go faster the more volts it charges at? That is a 12V. So does this mean it will go abit slower? What charge times should I expect from this charger with that power supply?

And how many amps should I charge at? Or is this automatic??? I seriously know literally NOTHING. I am just following what the specs say.

Copterboy. I hope he let's you have a go Because if he does I know you will be coming home with one lol. Even when you see it flying you are going to want one.

kianhon, if you were in Britian I would consider your offer but for the postage and the currency has gone s**t and the wait for it to come from America I would rather pay a little extra and get it here. But I'm sure they will get snatched up by someone else quickly.

Thanks for all the info. It has helped me (Sort of) Big question is. Should I get this power supply for the TP 610c or is there a better one for the same price? And what charge times would I get from this PSU.

-Jonny
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sutty,
From the link I posted:
"1. Input power capacity: 11~15V DC 10Amp at maximum charge rating"

Jonny,
You tell the charger how many amps to charge at based on your battery.

If you have a 2200mAh batt you would charge at 2.2 amps
This is standard practice . charging at '1C'

My kongs and AirThunders are rated to be charged at 2c no problem (which I have been doing for prob 100 cycles with no problems) so I tell it to charge at 4.4amps
If you connect (2) 3s batts together in series ang plug in both balance taps the charger will see it as a 22.2v 6s 2200mAh battery. Same thing..tell it to charge at 2.2 amps(unless you want to do it at 2c which would again be 4.4)

You shouldnt need to set any voltages in the charger except you can change defaults for max voltage/cell (4.20) min voltage/cell for discharge, cycling, or voltage level for storage charge. Output voltage to the batts though, the charger does all of that.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyheli View Post
Thanks for all the info. It has helped me (Sort of) Big question is. Should I get this power supply for the TP 610c or is there a better one for the same price? And what charge times would I get from this PSU.

-Jonny
Jonny the powersupply is ok for use with your charger .
If you charge 3S1P batts with it, you can charge easely up to 7 amps.(I don't recomend doing that )
Like Grant_beltcp said : That power supply will be plenty powerfull enough jonny.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hi Brian, Also from your link:

The maximum charge/discharge voltage is 32V.

3 . Charge current is adjustable in 0.1A increments from 0.1A to 5A with the maximum rate of 100W.

Hence at 25V, maximum of 4A.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I see what you're saying. I misread your last post. I thought you said my CHARGER isn't limiting me. I see now it says Power supply.

..and did you really just say 'Hence'....lol

Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Brain, so a 3000mah battery would need to be charged at 3amps etc...

I love this forum

-Jonny
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

"hence"

Its a british thing
Old 11-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What's wrong with hence, it's a perfectly cromulent word!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in