Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail hold issues I think....

So I have a new to me blade 450, and I can hover it pretty well. However I have to hold the collective a bit to the right to hold the tail straight. I have adjusted the trim but it still needs right collective. I'm guessing the gyro needs to be adjusted. I am a newbee so my understanding of the dx6i is minimal and I believe the gyro adjustments need to be made from there. Can someone please show me the light???? Or at least the proper way to go about setting up my gyro. Thanks to all.
anotherdebt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First thing: You need to remove all transmitter trim from your rudder (you say you are using the collective, but I think you mean the rudder portion of the collective stick?). The way the gyro works is that it will hold until it senses input coming from the transmitter, and then it turns off and follows the command. So since you've given it trim, it will never work.

As far as the gyro gain, that is in the transmitter. Once you have the rudder trim zero, spool up and take off, make sure your throttle is around 80% wherever your hover point is (the blades need to move fast enough for the tail to work properly). Then under the 'Gyro' menu, take the first of the two numbers and adjust it to 80%, and make sure the switch is set to "Gyro" (I think the switch says Gyro... the other two options are flight mode and "INH", just make sure it isn't either of those two). Spool back up again and take off, you should see some "wagging" of the tail. Land and lower the gyro gain by 2% and hover. Is there wag? Then repeat by going another 2%. Is there no wag? You are good to go.

Once you get into the stopped wagging value: if you still get drift, you should work harder on your setup.
buddha2490 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Great, question about my set up what exactly am looking at as far as the rotor is concerned? I have an understanding of what and how to set up the rotor and my ccpm, is hat what you are referring to? If not than I am completely unaware of any set up for the tail rotor and a link or direction would be greatly appreciated. My other heli is a SR and of course there is an electric motor for the tail so there isn't much to do there other than adjust the esc or gyro. Thanks again for the input.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There are a lot of setup issues that could cause tail problems, most of them are not in the tail, hehe. The stock gyro is not great, but its not horrible. A super steady tail is not quite as important or noticeable when you are in full forward flight, so if you have a little bit of drift but you're doing more than hovering, you'll probably not notice it.

But anyway, the stock gyro is very prone to vibration problems, which is where your setup is important. You of course want to make sure nothing is bent, feathering shaft, main shaft, etc. And you want to make sure your blades are perfectly balanced. Then you want to make sure the setup is correct for all the cyclic servos and level your swash throughout the entire travel. If you get a good three-pointed swash level, this is really easy. And you want to make sure that your blades are tracking perfectly in the air. Once you have that setup, you should be vibration free, and you should not have to use transmitter trim for anything.

Once all that is good, you can start with the tail. Check and see that the wire leaving the gyro isn't pulled too tight, allow the gyro to 'float' on its padded tape. And you need to set up the tail servo as per the directions from the gyro, should be in the manual. And then you need to make sure the belt tension is not too much nor too loose... that actually should be the first place you should start if this just ever started happening, it is a known problem with the b450.

I doubt unbalanced tail blades would be an issue, others may disagree though.

Check out Bob's videos, linked to on helifreak. They will take you through all those steps. Once all that is good, your gyro should work well. And you will have a really good understanding of how everything is supposed to work. It's fun
buddha2490 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks again, I see it and say it all of the time but this web site and it's patrons are truly remarkable!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in