Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Foamies and Park Flyers

Foamies and Park Flyers 3D Foamies and Park Flyers are an EXCELLENT way to improve your reflexes and stick finesse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 3DHS extra vs edge 47 and 48 inch versions

i am mainly sport flying and doing mild 3D

what i am looking for in a plane is smooth flying and precise and its between the 3DHS extra or edge, i am sticking with 47 or 48 inch because i dont want to buy all new batterys or electonics for it.. i would probably pull that off the epp plane i have now and put it on the new balsa plane..

able to fly slow with out stalling or having the wings rock around at low speed.

i have been flying the EPP extra 330 and i have been out flying this plane about 5 times. i am doing so well with the air plane i am thinking of moving on to a balsa plane some time soon. my only issue with the epp plane is i would like to be able to fly it slower with out it stalling. around half throttle the wings start rocking and it gets unstable..

i dont like the way the 47 inch extras look. the 48 inch edge looks awesome but a few people are telling me the extra is more of what i am looking for and they fly better than the edge.. i have searched for one VS the other and cant find much,

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

in phoenix i love the way that redbull edge flys, not sure if the 3DHS edge flys similar to that or not..

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go to RCGroups and ask that question. I have not flown the Extra 47" and can only speak for the Edge. The 48" Edge can be flown around at less than 1/3 throttle with the Omega 130 on 3s and a 14x7 prop without any wing rock at all. I am an aerobatic pilot that can do a few 3d tricks (learning more all the time). The Edge is as stable and precise as anything I have yet flown and then flip the D/R switch and bang the sticks and it tumbles, rolls and spins like wild. It does exactly what you tell it to do even if you tell it wrong. It tracks great and can handle 10+ mph wind no problem. Only drawback is it can't take a crash (nor can any other balsa plane) If I were you I would fly the piss out of that EPP 48" for a while before I made the jump to balsa. Check out the RCGroups thread for that plane and see if maybe you need to adjust your CG or something to get rid of that rocking. Best of luck.

Oh and I have yet to find any sim AC that flies exactly the same as the Edge and I have downloaded and modded a bunch. Have yet to get one that tumbles the same.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoeldragon View Post
Go to RCGroups and ask that question. I have not flown the Extra 47" and can only speak for the Edge. The 48" Edge can be flown around at less than 1/3 throttle with the Omega 130 on 3s and a 14x7 prop without any wing rock at all. I am an aerobatic pilot that can do a few 3d tricks (learning more all the time). The Edge is as stable and precise as anything I have yet flown and then flip the D/R switch and bang the sticks and it tumbles, rolls and spins like wild. It does exactly what you tell it to do even if you tell it wrong. It tracks great and can handle 10+ mph wind no problem. Only drawback is it can't take a crash (nor can any other balsa plane) If I were you I would fly the piss out of that EPP 48" for a while before I made the jump to balsa. Check out the RCGroups thread for that plane and see if maybe you need to adjust your CG or something to get rid of that rocking. Best of luck.

Oh and I have yet to find any sim AC that flies exactly the same as the Edge and I have downloaded and modded a bunch. Have yet to get one that tumbles the same.
Thanks bud, i want the edge because its slightly bigger and it looks allot nicer than the colors they make the extra in IMO, but i have herd some say the edge stalls easy and not forgiving and than say the extra is the one that flys slow and is very easy going and forgiving. and than i have heard other people say the exact opposite. but i know that you have one and you make it sound like what i am looking for. i am not sure i am going to be flying much 3D, just some easy aerobatics and a few 3D moves. i have the helicopter to beat on and i got the plane to relax and enjoy so i have mainly been sticking to the easy stuff with the plane and not trying much 3D

as far as the epp extra 330 i have, i don't think you call what i have wing rock, when flying slow for a few seconds one wing will start to tip to the side and even the nose will start to dive and than you fight with it to keep it in the air at half throttle, at less than half it wants to stall pretty bad, slightly above half throttle it fly's smooth as butter. there are several guys at the club that have the same plane as i do, i have flow a few of the other guys planes and i think mine is the best out of them all, i let a advanced pilot fly mine who has flow every ones epp extra at the club and he also thinks mine is the best flying out of all, he was doing some pretty impressive stuff with it. he was warning me about the post stall tendency of the plane before i even got it and that i need too watch out for that if i am trying to fly slow. i can fly it around kind of slow but i would like something that will fly really slow when you want it to...

the plane will hover well, it does knife edge great, it does harrier flight quite well ( that is the only time i can fly it slow) i had

don't get me wrong, this is a awesome air plane over all and i think its the right choice for a guy like me that knows how to fly a plane but has never really had one except for the ultra micro planes. every time i go out i fly about 10 or 15 packs on the plane, the first 2 days i only flew a few packs, on the 3rd day i flew about 10 and than i crashed it because i did not understand when tumbling to the ground the plane is not flying any is stalled, when i tried to pull out of what i was doing low to the ground it was stalled and just nose dived into the ground when i gave it power but the damage was minimal. when it hit i tore the fire wall out of the plane but i fixed that and the plane and it is still flying the way it should. if i had got a balsa plane i am pretty sure it would have been done.

i plan to fly this plane a bit longer before i upgrade to a balsa plane.. i have read some reviews on the edge and people say its super forgiving and can fly slow just like you. i have heard other people say the opposite but i have no clue if they know what there talking about, you know how forums are some times.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get the extra. I have three pilots at field who have switched from the edge to the extra and said they enjoy the extra better for 3D flying. Both are great planes from what i have seen.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you like the color schemes of the Edge better, go with that. The Edge will be a little pitchier so it will be slightly less precise at drawing straight lines in the sky, but will rotate slightly more easily in pitch. The Edge will be a little more forgiving in harriers, you can turn faster without a wing stalling out. The Extra will be a little better in knife edge flight and will do slightly better snaps.

That said, the flying differences between them is fairly small (assuming similar setup), which is why I recommend going with the one that you think looks better. They both fly really well. The "real" difference between them is the landing gear, the Edge uses wire landing gear while the Extra uses carbon. So less than stellar landings on the Edge will result in you bending the gear back. Neither will like a really hard, bad landing, although I have had a motor fail in a hover about 10 feet up, and the only damage I had on my Extra was the carbon gear partially delaminated (which can be fixed with CA & string).
Ace4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Danny what you are talking about is tip stall. It would be hard to make a bad choice with any 3DHS plane. They are all wonderful and each has a fanatical following for a good reason, they are all great planes in their own right. Like Ace said go with what looks best to you. I like my orange Edge, it flies great and is very easy for my old eyes to see.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

thanks guys. i really appreciate it,

i really want a plane that flys like this thing lol, i would be a 3D master in no time but i am sure this thing is completely unrealistic everything is so easy on this plane.. when i was doing the stationary torque roll i did not touch any controls but the ailerons ahahahhaha it just stayed in place...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i77qnd4MEGo[/ame]

Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Go a little bigger and get a Slick

Seriously, the Edge I had (41") was a great flying plane and the Edge has steel landing gear which is pretty durable. My Slick uses CF landing gear but since I am good at smooth landings I haven't put them to the test as far as durability goes.

And by the way, nothing will fly like that Red Bull Edge in Phoenix without lots of help from a few gyros, that thing is ridiculously locked in. Hell, I can be hovering with it and land it standing up on the rudder.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Phoenix is not realistic at all when it comes to planes.

If you ever get spare money I'd invest into realflight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in