Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default jive 80 hv acting weird, not much confiendence in it now!

in a earlier post i mentioned that all of a sudden my jive 80 hv on a logo 500se, normal initialization, throttle hold going off, it would momentarily spin up to full power and then back down to a very slow rpm

i reset to mode one, set to mode 4, set throttle travel on the dx8 to around 81 as per mr mels vid

took it for a test flight yesterday, 1 battery normal, 2nd battery fly normal, land and then motor would not shut down when throttle hold is enabled, it went to a very low rpm.

the only way to shut it down was to power off the dx8 and then the motor would shut down several seconds later

trying to determine version # as there is just a weird symbol on the esc with a L9, folks posted this is version 9?

i must mention also that this is 80hv is being used in a 6s setup but is being flown for ap, slow movement and hover, battery, esc, motor never get hot
yosemite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you check monitor function, is your low stick and throttle hold both at zero?
Add a few % extra as the output signal on the DX8 is not that stable, so 83/83 or something like that.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

thanks MM.

since i was running this on a 6s i am letting a friend try it on a HV setup, will see how it works. i have since bought a jive 80LV should be here today.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Update, The Jive 80HV was under warranty so it was sent back to ReadyHeli Kontronik on 4/2/12. I received it back on 6/3/12 and stuck it in a brand new Trex 550e build.

Reset the Jive to mode 1, set to mode 4, programmed throttle points and this is with a brand new DX8.

Took out this brand new 550e and on the 4th flight the same problem happens, motor goes to low rpm and luckily i am in a hover and land safely in some gravel. Reset Jive and on test flight this morning same thing.

I am trying to get Readyheli to send this back and get a replacement as I have zero confidence in it and can no longer fly this unit.

During the time that this defective Jive was back for repair I had bought a new one and put it in the Logo and it has been flying flawlessly for several months. The only thing replaced was the Jive.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried KSA mode? Which motor do you use?
the ESC has been back to Kontronik, and in their lab tested normally, even if the other one works, it might be that KSA is what is needed.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not to hijack this thread ..but. Mr. Mel, I have purchased a new Kontronic 100lv esc. I have watched you video's. I have heard things from people about the esc and I just dont know for 100% sure how this esc should be set-up. Please help.

VCONTROL*NEO*TRIBUNUS*MKS*VTX*DPL8 W/BUMP CONTROL*MEANWELL
Corvette & Copter Guy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the motor in the logo where it first started to show signs of low rpm is a xera. the trex has a scorpion 4025 1100? i think as i cant check as i am at work.

whats concerning is the fact that the only change on the logo was the jive, with the new jive it has worked perfect for over a 100 flights.

i have ordered a new jive as i can not trust this one. this will be the only part changed on the trex so we shall see.

will look into the ksa and perhaps try it
Old 06-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you programmed mode 1, were your endpoints at 100% and your throttle curve at 0-25-50-75-100?

These are both VERY important when doing a Mode 1 reset since it is learning your TX while doing it. I learned this the hard way.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

OT, sorry.

Quote:
... acting weird, not much confiendence in it now!
Quote:
Corvette & Copter Guy
Hey, I have a Corvette (C5) too, and I had a Cadillac STS.. American cars often "acting weird", but I still have confidence in my car.

Tom
Old 06-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
American cars often "acting weird", but I still have confidence in my car
enough confidence to risk several thousand $$$$$ worth of equipment?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

... Thus be seen limping the comparison embedded in my OT comment.
B2T, I apologize for that.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
When you programmed mode 1, were your endpoints at 100% and your throttle curve at 0-25-50-75-100?
yes

mrmel not sure if i want to risk another flight but may give ksa a try.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

after getting the jive 80hv back from kontronik i tried it in my new t550e in ksa mode and same thing happened, goes to low rpm for a second. to low to recover and crash! it is on its way back to germany again! i bought a new jive 80lv and now have over 40 error free flights with the t550e!

here is a reply from kontronik when asked if a jive 80hv would work in a 6s setup, i am only hovering

"Kontronik USA support@kontronikusa.com
10:55 AM (59 minutes ago)

to me
Yes, as long as you do not run too much pitch.

/Fredrik"
Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Weird reply from Kontronik. . .
But I think it's a "German" reply. (No offense Tom)

I dealt with Germans a lot and they mostly, at least in the technical section, always give you the shortest answer possible. Never a step by step advice or some extra explanation.

Here a made-up example:

Question:
I am contemplating to fit my heli with a 12S battery and would like to use a 14T pinion.
I could also go with a 15T pinion and 10S.
Which solution is the more preferrable one in your opinion?
Answer: Yes!
Question: Did you mean yes to the 12S or yes to the 10S battery.
Answer: 1

Coming back to Kontronik's answer to the 6S 80HV setup.
Since the 80HV is rated from 16 through 50 Volt, they advise you not to have too much pitch because your motor might bog and the resulting high PWM spike might draw so many Amps that the related voltage drop brings the battery below 16 Volt.
And this in turn could shut down the Jive.
That's at least what I am reading out of their answer. . .

I am using a 80HV in a 6S setup in a Logo-400SE and have been flying with weak batteries, where the voltage dropped down to 16.9 Volt (according to the J-Log) and there was no sign of Jive shut down or motor slowing because of the Jive.
When you 80HV is shutting down at hovering already, then there is something really fishy here imho.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

KontronikUSA is answered by me, my response above, and since the question was posted at ReadyHeli CRM and KontronikUSA hence the short answer.
(I'm not german)

Jive80HV should work on a application where a 80LV works, period, HV has more expensive components, but Ampwise there is no difference, and on a hovering flight it should work.

This is what Richard has been saying via ReadyHeli as well.

Now, the ESC has been back to Kontronik they found no fault, perhaps they did not manage to find the problem, could be as simple as a broken part inside which only show in certain mountings, has happened before.
Either way, it's Kontronik in Germany who only can do testing of this kind, KontronikUSA and it's resellers are distributors/resellers only.

Sorry for the inconvenience
Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Fredrik,
sorry, didn't know it was you, that wrote the answer.

In regards to the 80HV, yes, that's what I thought.
Since we are talking about it, when does the 80HV shut down because of under-voltage?
Do you have some numbers, when it starts and if it is a soft or hard shut down?
Not talking about the LiPo mode here, just the rated input voltage.

Last edited by ZuvieleTeile; 07-21-2012 at 11:20 AM..
ZuvieleTeile is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

thank you everyone for the clarification that this jive 80hv should work in a 6s setup.

let me try to set a few things straight.

1> the jive does not shut down, it goes to low rpm for a couple of seconds and then comes back full power. after landing the red light is solid on the jive and solid green on the sk720.

2> the logo flying was very easy flying as i was just starting and i only hovered with the t550e.

3> this has now happened on 2 different helis, a brand new never flown logo 500se and a brand new never flown t550e. after the logo incident it was sent back to germany and had a clean bill of health.

4>i then installed it on the t550e and the same thing happened, luckily i was high enough to recover. it was suggested to try mode 10. it was programmed to mode 10, tones confirmed this upon power up, and again it happened. i was to low to recover and it trashed my new t550e.

5> on both of these i have since bought new jive 80lv's and they have performed flawlessly! THIS WAS THE ONLY PART SWAPPED OUT. The logo has over a hundred flights.

6> readyheli seems reluctant to replace/refund/store credit since it was under warranty. kontronik says it is ok so there is nothing they can do

7> i will never risk any of my helis again with this unit and will be offering it for free in the 4sale section with a complete explanation of the risk involved.

8> Very disappointed in readyheli for not offering a replacement or store credit.

this is end of the story and i am now going to enjoy my logo and 550e!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default For sale $25 Jive 80HV

Just got this Jive 80HV back from Kontronik and they could find no problem with it.

I will not risk it in any of my ships so it is up for sale $25 and asking for another $75 if you get it to work with no problems
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...42#post4158242

When asked if I could get a exchange or store credit.....
"Staff (Richard Schultz)
7/30/2012 9:54:01 PM Hi Chris, you are correct. Had Kontronik replaced the controller we could have issued you credit. We did however install it on one of our helicopters and fly it with a similar setup that you are running with no issues. We wanted to make sure the controller performed well before returning it to you.
Rich"

Have since bought new Jives from ReadyHeli and they are working perfect in both the Logo and the T550e with hundreds of flights.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll take it. I might head up to Yosemite this weekend anyway. PM me if you're serious.
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

serious and sold

probably buy my heli supplies elsewhere now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in