Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JLog - The JIVE logging stamp

JLog - The JIVE logging stamp JLog - The JIVE logging stamp - Official English Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default S32 telemetry dropouts

Got my Jlog 2.6 replaced with the S32 and have it up and running, but having issues with telemetry randomly dropping out on the TX which triggers lots of false alarms.

Hardware config:

• S32 v1.19 set for Kosmik input and Jeti EX (not EXbus) telemetry out
  • Kosmik 200 v4.10 set for 2 pole / 1:1 gear ratio
  • Jeti REX7 receiver v1.03 set to Jetibox/EX for the port the S32 is connected to
Anyways, while flying I'm getting frequent telemetry dropouts or incorrect readings on the TX. Usually they drop to zero but occasionally I'll see odd values like 4800 for RPM uni (if that really happened I don't think the blades would still be attached, LOL) Usually the readings on the TX disappear for a few seconds and come back, sometimes they drop out and don't come back until the next flight after a power cycle.

When these dropouts occur, the entire telemetry stream between the S32 and the RX doesn't seem to be dropping out as the capacity (mah) keeps updating on the TX.

I thought it could be a bad crimp on the signal wire so I powered everything up and wiggled the wires at the connectors trying to cause dropouts or odd readings, but I couldn't duplicate it that way. Doesn't appear to be a momentary loss in power to the S32 as the logs are continuous and not fragmented (I'd expect a new log to be generated after a power loss / power regained event if that were the case.)

Checking the log on the S32 SD card, it appears the S32 is occasionally losing the datastream from the Kosmik, you can see the dropouts across multiple logged parameters in LogView (log attached.)

Suggestions? The random voice alarms from my TX when the telemetry drops out is pretty annoying. Never had this dropout issue with the Jlog 2.6. Occasionally the Jlog 2.6 would have a hard time starting the telemetry stream and need several power cycles of the Kosmik to start sending data to the TX, but once up and running it never dropped out in mid-flight like the S32 is doing.

Also, is there any way to reconfigure what telemetry items are sent to the TX? I miss being able to view ImotMax, Power, and PowerMax right on the TX. I don't need the S32 to send extTemp1, extTemp2, extRpm, and Speed to the TX for telemetry, but those are sent to the TX by default and I don't see a way to change them.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt log00013.txt (870.5 KB, 54 views)
Jeti DC-16

Last edited by Kiba; 01-15-2017 at 01:54 AM..
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, strange.. Never experienced that during my testing. Now the question is: Why?! the hell...

The harness S32--KOSMIK is not running close to wires w/ big fat current?

All I can do prophylactically is to build in hazard filters.
Well, the implementation of the protocol (EXbus) in the ESC is a bit prone for that.. They made several things wrong what leads to a rather bad update rate - compared to the protocol used with JLog2.x. It was the choice between plague and cholera, the other implementation is buggy w/o end, especially that bad rpm bug. ...and they never fixed something.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Usually the readings on the TX disappear for a few seconds and come back, sometimes they drop out and don't come back until the next flight after a power cycle.

When these dropouts occur, the entire telemetry stream between the S32 and the RX doesn't seem to be dropping out as the capacity (mah) keeps updating on the TX.
Kiba I have been chasing the same problem, not very actively, on one of my 700 with the Mezon120. I also thought it was a bad connection as it seemed to work one day after I did them all over again but it came back.
The only difference with me is that the mAh consumed stops registering on the Tx when the problem occurs, numbers do not change, but does come back as if it was still calculating it when the black out occurs with the bigger accurate number.
Still no clue

But now that I see you have the same problem with the S32, I wonder if it is the Jeti Tx.

I had noticed that it seemed to happen after big need in power as when I was testing my rescue.

Might not be the same problem but it looks suspiciously similar.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well.., the hazards are in the log already, so bad reading from ESC.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just made a general anti hazard filter on data running in from KOSMIK/Jpro, testing yet.

I'll bring a new firmware for that. I anyway plan new firmware and terminal to provide the ability to in-field update the bootloader as well.

But before I have to test w/ JETI EXbus + KOSMIK a bit... Just noticed freezing.. No clue yet if it has to do w/ my modifications.

Stay tuned.

----------

Quote:
Also, is there any way to reconfigure what telemetry items are sent to the TX? I miss being able to view ImotMax, Power, and PowerMax right on the TX. I don't need the S32 to send extTemp1, extTemp2, extRpm, and Speed to the TX for telemetry, but those are sent to the TX by default and I don't see a way to change them.
Two options:
- use another sensor compilation (see attached screenshot)
. use the text mode on top (jetibox)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JETIsensor-compilation.png
Views:	76
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	688982  
Old 01-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

EXbus telemetry freezing w/ KOSMIK: yes, the new anti hazard eats too much time in the corresponding KOSMIK interrupt handler. Have to find a different way for doing that..

The good thing is (since 7 yrs): I have never the question how to spend the weekend.

---------

Had a deeper look in the log..
An anti hazard filter cannot cure in this case. I let it in anyway.
I forgot that I saw this already sometime. More exactly, a user experienced it w/ a JIVEpro and I could see (hardly) it then w/ my KOSMIK as well (my Jpro is bricked thanks to that buggy updater): The data protocol of the ESC stops stochastically.

So I changed my timeout evaluation from 800ms to 2500. Well..., this does not seem to be sufficient .. I now go on 4000ms. There seem to be differences between the copies.

I feared it.. Again to fight w/ ESC firmware bugs.. I "like" it.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Tom, sounds like you have a bit of a mystery to track down.

The Kosmik to S32 wire is away from the motor and battery wires. The S32 and wires are in the same spot where the jlog 2.6 was where it worked ok for years. You may be on to something though, as the first time I noticed the telemetry drop was right when I switched to high headspeed (with corresponding amperage increase.)

Also, I'm using regular EX telemetry between the S32 and RX, *not* EXbus.
Jeti DC-16
Old 01-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

See above. You posted during my edit.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Interesting. I wonder how kontronik handles the kosmik firmware issues with their telme modules.
Jeti DC-16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in