Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #1561 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
I am also thinking you will ruin that lipo pretty darn quick!
Not at all! It's exactly opposite. Since there's only half the normal voltage available, the motor can only draw 1/4 its normal max power with the ESC running full power with the heli mechanically set up intended for double the voltsge. It's actually more efficient for both the motor and the ESC. The fact that a 3s 2200 pack can fly 8+ min at full throttle the entire time means it's easier on the battery. That low amount of power to discharge a 3s pack means it's pissing power to the ESC/motor. No sweat!
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #1562 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the fourteen tooth pinion and I'm getting over ten minutes of slow sport flying. In fact, ten minutes doesn't even take a 2650 MAH battery down much past 4 volts per cell!
And running the light canopy on a plastic kit it actually performs much better than I thought that it would. Oh, and everything comes down cool as a cucumber!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #1563 (permalink)
Registered Users

And I will sometime soon hook it up to my laptop and see what head speed the Robird says I'm turning.
It should be in the thirteen to fourteen hundred RPM area because I'm usually in the 2650 RPM range with a six cell.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #1564 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I guess I stand corrected, sir. That's very interesting. I love low headspeed flying with other models I've owned. I appreciate you sharing what is possible!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #1565 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got to a small field, sun had already set, A tail vibe during spoolup remains after checking balance on blades (tail shaft), new 500mm RJX blades have great visibility.
I got to say Wow what a big disk you have, as the white and orange blades look huge on the Protos.
After putting in a tail shaft and installing 80mm stock Goby 500 cf tail blades in place of cut down Kbbd 85 mm blades
Gonna try to get it up again today and work on mid stick sensitivity.
Protos Carbon Stretch, MSH Scorpion, YGE, Ikon
deebee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #1566 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Old guy p500 maiden

This is my first post in the Protos forum. I traded for a plastic Protos 500 and flew it for the first time today. It has a Robird g31 for the FBL. My friend David recorded for me with his phone and posted the boring maiden flight as I left my hat for the mobius at home. There seemed to be more negative collective than positive which messed with me a little. I had the head speed pretty low, I'll try IU2 next time. The heli clearly is going to be a good flier. I'm looking to replace my blade 450x as my Sim to IRL practice heli.

George Protos Flight (3 min 30 sec)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #1567 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old guy doing very well!!!!
R/C junkie for the past 25 years and counting...
kingmeow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #1568 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks. It's a little slower learning curve at this age but lots of fun though.

I had trouble with the receiver on the flight after the one in the video. My Taranis reported RSSI errors about 1 minute into the flight which I found surprising after a good first flight. After doing some research I'm wondering if it might be a static problem. I'm not exactly sure the best way to ground a carbon fiber boom with a plastic boom mount. I'll search through the threads here, but if you guys have pointers that would be great.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 PM   #1569 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstoneberg View Post
This is my first post in the Protos forum. I traded for a plastic Protos 500 and flew it for the first time today. It has a Robird g31 for the FBL. My friend David recorded for me with his phone and posted the boring maiden flight as I left my hat for the mobius at home. There seemed to be more negative collective than positive which messed with me a little. I had the head speed pretty low, I'll try IU2 next time. The heli clearly is going to be a good flier. I'm looking to replace my blade 450x as my Sim to IRL practice heli.

George Protos Flight - YouTube
Welcome G. The Protos is an awesome machine. It's the Ferrari of the 500's, light, nimble,quiet and responsive and did I mention cheap to repair?? I suggest that you add a Satellite to the 500 to make sure you don't lose signal and if you have an ESC with a BEC that is a PLUS too.
Most critical is the computer setup and setting the tension of the belt. Look and make sure the belt runs in the middle of the gear and that is runs halfway up on the pinion. If it does not... start hunting for the problem. You can adjust the tail somewhat so you can vary the belt level a little bit. If your tail is not solid you have a mechanic problem... 99% of the time... so do make sure you have absolutely NO problems there. Run your blades somewhat tight in the blade grips. They should not fall forward or flop down and neither should the tail blades. Just make sure you straighten and align the main blades and the tail blades before spooling up..Cannot help with the Taranis. I am just using a cheap DX8
Old 08-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #1570 (permalink)
Registered Users

Run a wire from the boom to the motor mount.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #1571 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the tips Harry. I'll have to take a closer look at the heli. The FrSky receiver doesn't do satellites. My 550 has the same setup and it works great so I'm hoping I can find a way around the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyuh1 View Post
Run a wire from the boom to the motor mount.
Thanks. Can I drill a small hole in the CF to attach a wire with a screw or is there a better method? All the videos I found were about metal tail booms but this heli came with a carbon fiber boom. I've not used one before.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #1572 (permalink)
Registered Users

'bout covers it,
A Whole Lotta Love (0 min 5 sec)

It was a great flight to that point. Too bad the camera was not well positioned. Time to take out the pruners I thin - and replace blades, boom, and probably the FBL grip balls.
aterren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #1573 (permalink)
Registered Users

I clamped the wire under the tail servo mount. The carbon fiber should be as conductive as the metal tail.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #1574 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm up to 8 flights on mine and love it. Pretty sure the head dampers are behind spanked tho. The head has excessive movement grabbing the blades and rocking them in the head. I've never seen a heli do this so I'm guessing it's time for new ones. It also has quite a bobble on the elevator axis that I can't seem to tune out. Going to try some new dampers and go from there.

Man does this thing auto really really sweet!
vtown nick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 11:31 PM   #1575 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtown nick View Post
I'm up to 8 flights on mine and love it. Pretty sure the head dampers are behind spanked tho. The head has excessive movement grabbing the blades and rocking them in the head. I've never seen a heli do this so I'm guessing it's time for new ones. It also has quite a bobble on the elevator axis that I can't seem to tune out. Going to try some new dampers and go from there.

Get the MSH red hard 3D dampers. Super stiff but made of full rubber so they last long, unlike Lynx dampers that made out of mostly hard plastic to stiff it up but the soft rubber O-rings wear out fast.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:40 AM   #1576 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
Get the MSH red hard 3D dampers. Super stiff but made of full rubber so they last long, unlike Lynx dampers that made out of mostly hard plastic to stiff it up but the soft rubber O-rings wear out fast.
Well silly me I didn't tear the head apart on this one even tho it was bought second hand. Turns out the heli had flybar main blade grips on it which is 2 radial bearings on the inside then the thrust out the blade side. Had 3 o-rings per side for dampers which were really loose. Included with the purchase was the black solid dampers which are much more stiff and the flybarless grips which are 1 radial bearing on the inside then you put the thrust bearing then 1 more radial bearing on the blade side. All assembled the head is sweet feeling. I have a good hitch that tomorrow my loose feeling cyclic and bobbles will be a thing of the past!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:52 AM   #1577 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Well silly me I didn't tear the head apart on this one even tho it was bought second hand. Turns out the heli had flybar main blade grips on it which is 2 radial bearings on the inside then the thrust out the blade side. Had 3 o-rings per side for dampers which were really loose. Included with the purchase was the black solid dampers which are much more stiff and the flybarless grips which are 1 radial bearing on the inside then you put the thrust bearing then 1 more radial bearing on the blade side. All assembled the head is sweet feeling. I have a good hitch that tomorrow my loose feeling cyclic and bobbles will be a thing of the past!
Excellent! Add the red dampers in your wishlist. The 3 o-ring setup will wear out sooner or later. You'll love the red dampers over the 3 o-ring setup. They pretty much last forever if you don't crash hard enough to damage them.

EDIT: oops I misread you're still running 3-oring setup. Like iso said MSH black 1-piece dampers might work good enough for you.

Last edited by DoubleCH; 08-22-2015 at 02:17 AM..
Old 08-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #1578 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Glad you figured it out Nick. Yeah I really like the solid black dampers and based on your flying style (from the videos you've posted in the X3 forum) they should be just about perfect.

Of course it doesn't hurt to try the harder red dampers just for kicks but I couldn't get rid of elevator bobbles with the red under 2600 rpm. However a lot of others have had no issues with the reds at low rpm

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 02:31 AM   #1579 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
Excellent! Add the red dampers in your wishlist. The 3 o-ring setup will wear out sooner or later. You'll love the red dampers over the 3 o-ring setup. They pretty much last forever if you don't crash hard enough to damage them.

EDIT: oops I misread you're still running 3-oring setup. Like iso said MSH black 1-piece dampers might work good enough for you.
I installed the 1 piece solid black ones, hoping I can fly 2500 rpms again tho 2600 is fun too I'm at the upper limit of this 820kv above 2500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isogloss3d View Post
Glad you figured it out Nick. Yeah I really like the solid black dampers and based on your flying style (from the videos you've posted in the X3 forum) they should be just about perfect.

Of course it doesn't hurt to try the harder red dampers just for kicks but I couldn't get rid of elevator bobbles with the red under 2600 rpm. However a lot of others have had no issues with the reds at low rpm

Experience RC is out of the red so I will see how the black do in the morning. I'm sure it's going to be night and day better with the changes I did to it this evening. Now for morning to hurry up and get here!
Old 08-22-2015, 06:05 AM   #1580 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Get the Red, MSH Hard dampners

Bill at MSH DIrect is great to deal with, A+1 service

http://www.msh-direct.com/products/h...-msh51163.html

Glad to see you enjoy your Protos!
crickr1 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in