Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 550/600mm blades

I was just wondering... if X5 head (and other components) is capable to hold crazy high HS at 16T 100% thro (shafts, grips, bearings, etc.) will it be fair to say that from the mechanical capabilities point of view it should with no problem been able to swing 550mm or even 600mm main blades with respectively lower HS?

Of course longer boom/TT is required as well as larger tail blades and possibly a bit more powerful motor (like HK-4025-890KV in example)... but that goes without saying it
Jack2010 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

One way to find out

I have a similar project/ 600 size 12s power.

But its on hold.
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just be aware that the main shaft and spindle shaft are the same size as a trex 500 that swings 425mm blades. so 520's might be the max if your going to be doing harder 3D. but for sport flying and stuff like that I'm sure it would be fine IMO. But like Frank said "One way to find out." and longer boom will be required.
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

lol, when you look at the X5 it's is basically a stretched 500 class heli. Like Dave said above, 8mm shaft, small spindle, etc. And, it's frame components are not much larger than a trex 500 pro, just large enough to fit standard servos. It's designed to be so light and agile.

IMO anything beyond stock would be risky and might snap the main shaft right at the recessed area, or worse, throw a grip/blade. who knows.

People often do this with a Logo 500, but that's because a logo 500 frame is the same frame used in the 600. It's a chopped Logo 600.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Changing the main bearings to 10mm id, and a 10mm id ,owb

Its some work, but not impossible, just ask vas, he has a 12s gaui 550.

Telling me that has a stronger main shaft?

Its basiclly how much time do you have? And how bad do you want to do it?
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post
Changing the main bearings to 10mm id, and a 10mm id ,owb

Its some work, but not impossible, just ask vas, he has a 12s gaui 550.

Telling me that has a stronger main shaft?

Its basiclly how much time do you have? And how bad do you want to do it?
I have a set of SWE 530mm blades that i tried putting on my X5. I was surprised to see that blade grip was too small to fit the root. I used these same blades on my old Gaui 550 all the time without issue. Truth is my Gaui 550 bent more main shafts then i can even remember when swinging 550's. When i ran 425 to 500's it was no issue though! Anyhow going HV is much different then going with bigger blades...especially on the Gaui. HV is much better and more efficient then its lower voltage higher current counter part. HV runs cooler and is much easier on your packs The biggest issues with high voltage is possibility for stripping your main gear. If you have a good ESC with a good softstart and a good gov...then it should never be an issue. Other than that you will still run similar HS etc. The Hurricane and X5 both use mod8 main gears which are less prone to stripping then mod7 or mod6. Even the Fusion50 which was designed for 12s comes with a mod8 main. I recently converted my 550 to 8s and i'm loving it...the power and flight time i get with 20c packs much better than i'd ever seen on any expensive 6s 40+C packs. I am actually going to test my X5 on 8s this week.

The X5 is an excellent 500 sized machine...maybe the best out there...but in all my experiences its at its limit with the stock head for size. If anything you will have much better luck cutting the boom and using 425 / 470mm..
I really hope they make an X6 or even an X550 that uses a 10mm shaft but first we need that X7!!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

fyi the Gaui 550 is 8mm shaft/ 5mm spindle and swings 550mm blades stock, so Id think an 8mm/6mm combo could swing 550-570 easy
nexgen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in