Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Newbie with 450 clone questions.

Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I have just received a 450 clone I purchased from ebay. It's this one.

I think it's an Align 450 SE V2 clone? As no doubt I will be needing to get spares I would like to know exactly which 450 version it is a clone of, could someone please confirm the model for me?

Also I previously purchased a DX7SE (which I am currently using with Phoenix) and would like to use this TX with the 450. The 450 is supplied with a FHSS 7 channel receiver.

Am I correct in assuming that all I need to do is swap out the RX with a DSM/DSM2 one in order to use my TX? Will all the rest of the electronics work (servo's, gyro etc.)?

If the answer is yes what receiver would be recommended? As cost is always an issue should I go for something like the AR7600 or AR7610 (the AR7100 is a bit pricey) or could I get away with an OrangeRX R610 (I can get 10 of these for the price of one AR!) I only plan on hovering and circuits. My old brain really doesn't work fast enough to attempt 3D stuff.

Oh and yes I will be disassembling and rebuilding the clone with threadlock etc before I run it up. I reckon on a cheap clone this is essential as during a radio check (yes I had to have a quick play with the motor disconnected) the rudder stopped responding. Investigation revealed the servo arm had fallen off due to the complete absence of a retaining screw.....

Thanks for any help.

All the best,

D
Walkera 4#3, Syma S107G, V911, 450 clone, DX7SE.
Duzzy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Personally I would go with an Orange Rx, mostly because you have gone cheap cheap cheap on everything else.

This isnt necessarily a bad thing, but you have to remember that:

the servos are super cheap, and you have an analogue tail servo. I expect that these will fail before the orange rx.

While I would happily build a clone (after carefully choosing one), I would always hand pick my radio gear, servo and gyro, even if this meant using cheap stuff.

Not trying to bite your head off, I promise.

Once you bind your new receiver, you will need to set up the head again (including levelling it) which can be a bit tricky. It probably isnt set up properly in the first place if it came self assembled....

Levelling the swash plate at 0, and full +/- pitch is essential, if you dont want it veering off as you apply some pitch.

This wont be bind and fly im afraid, it will be bind, set up then fly.

Where abouts are you based in the UK?
jimmyhorns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looks Like a 450 V2 Clone

Looks like a clone of the Align 450 SE V2. The manual for that version and all of the other versions of Align 450s are here:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=43239

As jimmyhorns said, after tearing down completely and threadlocking everything, you will have to do a complete set up. Here is the link to a thread with all of the basic setup information included:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692

Make sure to view the CCPM Setup Part 1 and Part 2 videos and go from there.

Good luck and remember that setup is everything in terms of the fly-ability of your heli. Read and watch everything that you can to try and get it right as if you don't, you will crash and then have to repair and set it all up again.
Hope this helps.
FelixTC68 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Strongly recommend you to throw the servos far far far and even faaarer away from the heli and get you some deasent digital servos...
Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks

Thanks all,

Hi Jimmyhorns, as it happens I'm just up the road in sunny Basingstoke!

I am well aware I have bought cheapo bling but I figured what the heck, even if it doesn't fly very well it will look cool on one of my shelves. For a piece of art it was a total bargain! (Like the minimoto and robosapien and guitars etc).

I very much enjoy making or trying to improve things. I just like to fiddle I suppose. I've built oscilloscopes and CDI ignition systems and varied Heath Robinson contraptions for my astronomical telescope, once upon a time I even flew R/C planes but gave up because I preferred to build than fly.

Also a big roger on the set up. My 4#3 is still a marble on a bowling ball (with glitchy servos) but everytime I take it apart and rebuild it, the more I learn, and the better it gets.

I suppose I am expecting the 450 clone to be a similar experience except as it's a tad larger, easier on the eyes to work on....having to use a USB microscope to tighten the servo connectors on the 4#3 was just frustrating!

So a big thanks for the info, I am working my way through Finless Bob's videos and now that it appears to be an SE V2 I will use that manual to at least get the rebuild started whilst learning to fly some virtual helis in Phoenix.

.....and funnily enough a digital tail servo was the first thing I was thinking of upgrading, after I've blinged my TX out with a backlight and some go faster blue anodised sticks....

All the best,

D
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

get a orange receiver and a orange sat
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11965
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11972

you'll be fine
when you crash and we all do replace the servos because they will probably die in the crash (stripped gears) with at least something like these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3PCS-HENGE-M...item2a1e2cfce5
thats 3 for cyclics and 1 for tail
testing some now on my pro and they seem to be doing just fine with my vbar and you can get parts for them easily

or if you have extra money
http://www.alofthobbies.com/kst-ds115-servo.html
nice clone servo
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OT...what telescopes do you have?

Ken
AXN FPV
Daddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by satgod View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the 2nd link is wrong. It took me to an R410 receiver, not a satellite.

I believe this is the satellite for the OrangeRx R610 receiver in the first link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13418
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Telescopes

Hi Ken,

Just one at the moment a Skywatcher 200P (yep still cheap!) and an EQ5Pro mount with EQMOD, also self modified long exposure SPC900N webcams, auto focusser etc. Also experimenting with old 35mm lenses and the long exposure webcams to increase the FOV available as the webcam ccd is pretty tiny! Will be using an old camera lens to make a guidescope to improve the tracking.

Yet another hobby that lets me learn.

Globular clusters are my favourite targets.

D
Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Globular clusters is one of mine too. I am the author of globular clusters for the Meade goto scopes that is in the PD. Did all planetary nebula's too.

Yes our hobbies and toys! I've figured out I need to retire to keep up with them!

Clear Skies....I mean keep her in the air!
Ken
AXN FPV
Daddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Ken,

I'm impressed! I bet your images are waaaayyyyy better than mine.

All the best,

D
Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all,

I have a couple more daft questions and then I promise I'll go back to lurking!

I have searched for this but obviously I do not know the correct phrase to look for.

I have been watching Finless' vids and understand about servo arms at 90 etc.

This is all when viewed from the side. If I view my clone from the front the long linkages from the servo arms to the swashplate are angled in towards the swash.

Looks like if I mounted the servos from inside the frame (which ok I have to take the frame apart to do and would have to when I need to replace servos) I could more or less get the linkages to be vertical when viewed from the front. Would that be a good thing? Overkill? Very stupid?

Last. ESC mounting. I would like to mount it under the battery tray for aesthetic reasons. El cheapo Chinese ESC, only going to be attempting to hover. Am I asking for overheating problems?

All the best,

Tight lines and never lift.

D

Tags
450, clone, receiver, spektrum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in