Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hobbywing V4 130A Shutdown issue

Hi,

So I'm having an issue here with a Hobbywing V4 130A (both from SAB Italy).

Me and a mate bought a Goblin BlackThunder. He fitted a Pyro 750-560KV and I'm using a Scorpion 4525-520KV 23Pinion. Both equipped with a Hobbywing V4 130A with internal BEC.

Whilst doing our initial flights both ESC's failed and shut themselfs down.

The one on the Pyro said it pulled 190A without blades, which seems kinda high. During the initial flight it pulled 300A which again seems unbelieveable.

The one mounted with the Scorpion went into Error mode and was thus unable to read the logs from this one. When testing afterwards it also said it was pulling 190A without blades. My VBar current/voltage sensor read out 9.9A however which seems more accurate?

Anyone else having this issue or is familiar with this?

Sincerely,
Comprex
Comprex is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, disable lvc and run timing at 15 degrees or higher. The amp reading are also incorrect. Mine always reads over 300. I've had over 30 flights now with no issues on a protos max with 4530 pushing it hard. Check out the thread in the protos max forum about the hw130. If you are at low timing, it might be the cause
RCHN #232
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

According to reports in the MSH forums, the shutdowns are due to the esc timing. There have been issues with around 5 degrees timing, whereas higher timings like 15 degrees have no issues.

Edit: Lol simul-post.
Yfbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

We still aren't positive about the timing issue, but it's looking pretty consistent. Lvc is also a possible factor since the hw logging shows a minimum voltage much lower than it should. Try the timing and disable lvc
RCHN #232
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comprex View Post
Hi,

So I'm having an issue here with a Hobbywing V4 130A (both from SAB Italy).

Me and a mate bought a Goblin BlackThunder. He fitted a Pyro 750-560KV and I'm using a Scorpion 4525-520KV 23Pinion. Both equipped with a Hobbywing V4 130A with internal BEC.

Whilst doing our initial flights both ESC's failed and shut themselfs down.

The one on the Pyro said it pulled 190A without blades, which seems kinda high. During the initial flight it pulled 300A which again seems unbelieveable.

The one mounted with the Scorpion went into Error mode and was thus unable to read the logs from this one. When testing afterwards it also said it was pulling 190A without blades. My VBar current/voltage sensor read out 9.9A however which seems more accurate?

Anyone else having this issue or is familiar with this?

Sincerely,
Comprex
Dont pay any attention to the logs you pull from the program box. I was told today these are RAW peak amp draw instead of peak amp spikes. Not completely sure what the first really means unless its an accumulation of current draw over the duration of the flight.
You Vbar log is most accurate.

Two shutdowns on two separate escs is VERY unlikely but still possible no matter how minuscule. That said, what connectors are you using? Also check the solder joints in the battery and well as the esc. Both motor and battery sides.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was a slow down cut off or a hard one?
Chrsmn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had similar issues with the 130HV with Scorpion 4526-520 F3C version. Disabled LVC, changed timing to 15 degrees, still get a random shutdown every 4-5 flights. It isnt a shut off but a huge drop in head speed and then it tries to ramp back up then down again, etc, etc.

All solder joints check out. Tested for heat at all connections. Just seems to be fine for some flights then the issue appears again.

The only thing left I am going to change is from ELF Gov to Gov Store. I cant see that being an issue but you never know.

I also have seen LV of 36v when the packs test right after a perfect flight at 3.75v per cell. Amp peaks of 380. I am not that heavy on the sticks.

I will test some more but if I see another issue again I will be sending it in. I have been trying to exhaust all possibilities before I make that call.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelinpr View Post
I have had similar issues with the 130HV with Scorpion 4526-520 F3C version. Disabled LVC, changed timing to 15 degrees, still get a random shutdown every 4-5 flights. It isnt a shut off but a huge drop in head speed and then it tries to ramp back up then down again, etc, etc.

All solder joints check out. Tested for heat at all connections. Just seems to be fine for some flights then the issue appears again.

The only thing left I am going to change is from ELF Gov to Gov Store. I cant see that being an issue but you never know.

I also have seen LV of 36v when the packs test right after a perfect flight at 3.75v per cell. Amp peaks of 380. I am not that heavy on the sticks.

I will test some more but if I see another issue again I will be sending it in. I have been trying to exhaust all possibilities before I make that call.
If you're checking the peak amps off the program box they aren't correct so 328 is definitely wrong.
If your packs sag this will cause that drop in ELF mode. Gov Store should work better but watch the flight times
Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

same issue here with a Pyro 750-52 (once)
had a hard shutdown right after takeoff doing a nose flip.
factory settings - ELF governer Store.
Maybee the ESC needs some fine tuning for the P750? if I remember right, kontronik had some issues with the P750 and the Jive 120HV also some days ago.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield2412 View Post
same issue here with a Pyro 750-52 (once)
had a hard shutdown right after takeoff doing a nose flip.
factory settings - ELF governer Store.
Maybee the ESC needs some fine tuning for the P750? if I remember right, kontronik had some issues with the P750 and the Jive 120HV also some days ago.
Gov store or gov elf?
Old 06-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSyd3D View Post
Gov store or gov elf?
sorry, I meant gov store
Old 06-24-2016, 02:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a 14 pole motor
Old 06-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it appears I found my issue. I am a donkey. Set screws for the motor can were gone. Lol! Problem progressed to the point I couldn't fly. Grabed the main gear and spun it while holding the motor can. Shaft was still spinning. I still find it weird that the problem was intermittent but I believe the set screw of the flat spot let go first. Then the other was holding just enough but slipped every once in a while until it let go. I had previously checked the set screws but they were there and by hand I could spin the can. Just another thing to check periodically. Lucky I didn't ever crash the heli.

So far 5 flights and no issues what so ever. Fingers still crossed though.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Airetic

I had this same thing happen to me yesterday on my Gaui R5.

Details:

HW160Av4.
Motor is a KDE700xf-535
Motor shut down, mid flight.
The heli was veryfar away when it happened, so
  • HW160Av4
  • Motor is a KDE700xf-535
  • LVC cutoff set to default of soft
  • LVC setup voltage at default of 3.0v/cell
  • timing is at the default value of 15
  • Only motor shut down, mid flight
  • The heli was very far away when it happened, so it is very hard for me to say if it was a soft or hard cutoff. I chose to auto immediately.
  • Unfortunately, I did not have my prog box at the field to check for "logging" data.
  • Jeti telem says my lowest pack voltage only dipped to 3.5v/cell
  • I got no voltage alarms, or activation of my R2 buffer, which tells me the HW BEC was still functioning fine
  • Jeti telem shows max Amps pulled in the flight was like 65A

I cannot find any other issues. At this point, I believe that the voltage sensor in the HW is garbage and incorrectly gave me an LVC shutdown.

I have now disabled the LVC cutoff.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

After speaking with Rob (KiloXray) yesterday, I believe I still may have had some shut downs in the beginning. After changing some settings as suggested I believe my issue was likely solved. Just coincidence that later I had the set screws let go. I have come to this conclusion because the first couple times it happened I wasn't able to connect the program box like others have reported. Good catch Rob. Every time it happened after changing some settings I was always able to connect the program box. Also there was a progressively worsening sound of the shaft slipping in the motor can.

I hope you have better luck with the setting changes Rob. You weren't even close to pushing the R5. Just putting around really. Nice auto too. He was out there guys. I never would have made it back.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also had a failure using the Align 130A version of the Hobbywing V4.
Using a Pyro 750-450 motor. Started with timing set a 10 degrees. After a 10 second hover the ESC shut down. LED on the ESC was blue.
Reset timing to 5 degrees. This time ESC shut down after a 15 second hover.
Reset timing to 15 degrees. After a 10 second hover, the ESC caught fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8969.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	667638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8970.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	667639  
UPSDOC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not dealing well with 14 pole motors?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have just ordered a new Hobbywing 160A V4 ESC from Hobbywing NA to replace the failed Align 130 Amp ESC. I will be using this with my Pyro 750-450 motor.
What is the recommended safe timing setting for this combination. Just want to make sure that it doesn't end in another ESC fire.
UPSDOC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also disabled the LVC on my Logo 600 with HW130A. before sometimes the headspeed dropped. Now not any more.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G928F met Tapatalk
MrEmail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hw130hv

have any of these issues been solved, been reading a lot on the 130hv and see a lot of problems with it. i was going to buy one and came here to have a look first. but i see a lot of problems with it. was going to run one in a goblin 570 on 6s for now until i upgrade it to 12s also need to look how much room there is on the 570 for it. thanks
#572, a few big Goblins,Bavarian Demon, Xnova, KDE,Scorpion,BK Servos,MKS,Protec, Kontronik, HobbyWing, Synergy N7, OMPHobby M2 V2
Blackline is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in