Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is this a protection diode?

I reversed my genius cp's battery leads, (careless soldering of battery connectors). I was rewarded with the reek of melting components and the escape of the magic smoke. Got it working again, however I have a question on the theory of operation. There is a schottky diode in series with the circuit ground (this diode saved the board :>), is this diode solely a protection diode for reversed battery leads or is it also protection for the motor switching circuit? Currently have a full size diode in the circuit. Mostly my concern is functions I might not be aware of that it plays in the circuit. It is a schottky right?, didn't check it till after it grenaded.
zzyzx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default flyback diode

Yes, the ESC should have at least one flyback diode, most commonly a schottky diode connected across the power lines to suppress reverse transients. If nothing else, the mosfets of the motor driver should have had flyback diodes.

With a burnt flyback protection diode, your receiver will be more susceptible to electrical noise from the motor driver. If your receiver is suddenly unresponsive while the motor is running, now you'll know why.
Joydeepb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flyback diode, thanks. Heard the term before, couldn't for the life of me remember it. Got some reading to do, appreciate the help. Engineer by trade?, or just highly motivated amateur like myself?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both, I guess - I work with robots. Spent a lot of time designing electronics for them, and have had my fair share of "why does the uc reset when the motor is running?"
Joydeepb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
Engineer by trade?, or just highly motivated amateur like myself?
Or, just a strong survival instinct in a hobby that demands one?
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
I reversed my genius cp's battery leads, (careless soldering of battery connectors). I was rewarded with the reek of melting components and the escape of the magic smoke. Got it working again, however I have a question on the theory of operation. There is a schottky diode in series with the circuit ground (this diode saved the board :>), is this diode solely a protection diode for reversed battery leads or is it also protection for the motor switching circuit? Currently have a full size diode in the circuit. Mostly my concern is functions I might not be aware of that it plays in the circuit. It is a schottky right?, didn't check it till after it grenaded.
In addition to the fly-back, shunt, swamping, kickback or whatever you want to call them diodes they have on both motor driver circuits, thankfully they do have a "protection diode" on the input but it isn't actually in series with the ground and or power leads, but is instead across them. Plug the power in correctly and everyone is happy and that diode is reversed biased. You already smelled what happens if you reverse the power in.

As you suggest, this diode can save a receiver from a backwards battery in some cases. Jazzjohn could tell a better story about how well these protection diodes work than I can, but apparently it comes in handy if you make that tragic mistake.

Glad to hear the receiver survived. As long as you don't do that again, you don't really even need that particular diode, but you are smart to have one back in place unless you would rather pay $80 next time!
Intheway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheway View Post
. Jazzjohn could tell a better story about how well these protection diodes work than I can, but apparently it comes in handy if you make that tragic mistake.
Thank you for giving credit where credit is due for plugging a battery in backwards. I'll never live that down, right?

Jazzjohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjohn View Post
Thank you for giving credit where credit is due for plugging a battery in backwards. I'll never live that down, right?

I've done it more times than you so I deserve some 'credit' too!

Don't mind me, I'll just go lay by my dish now waiting for feeding time.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's hard to admit to for sure but so easy to overlook when you finally get around to wiring up the pile of batteries you've been meaning to get to. Easy to be complacent about a task you view as simple and mundane. I've taken to carrying a small volt checker to use before binding, has the added bonus of double checking polarity. I've also again started checking for a short to ground after a repair before powering up. How long before my caution succumbs to laziness again? History would suggest a few weeks, I'll find it again next time, there will be another.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in