Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What's a good battery for the mcpx?

What's a good battery for the mcpx that will extent flight times a bit?
two-six is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

With out the proper testing equipment all anyone has is just their opinion. I bought some Lectron Pro 300mAH 35C for $5.50 apiece off of ebay. So far they have worked fine. I did a search on them and found one guy that said they are junk but gave no explanation as to why. It also depends on how the battery is cared for that will determine what a person thinks about it. I also have Hyperion 250mAH 25C and they give good flight times too.

Remember that the little motor in a mCPX needs a break to cool down or its life will be shortened.
CrashandBurn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

i havent yet purchased these myself, but have read a lot of people saying these are the best cheap batteries. i really want to buy some of these as i read nothing but good things about them! at $4.99 each you cant lose!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17808

i only currently have 2 stock batteries and 1 of these from lhs:

http://www.microheli.com/store/produ...roducts_id/512

best thing is both of these fit straight in with no mods required! i have also read good things about hyperion batteries, but i think for the bigger ones you have to modify the battery tray.
bundydeity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just bought 3 of these:

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/hype...p-p-15190.html

They will fit ok won't they without any modification to the battery tray?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just shove them in. The stock tray has some flex. I have put a 550 into mine and it will still hold the 200 stockers.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have tried four different Batts, I fined I get the most time in the air with the MicroHeli 300mAh 35c, next being the ProTek 300mAh 35c and lowest amount of time with the stock.
Kingacp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashandBurn View Post
Just shove them in. The stock tray has some flex. I have put a 550 into mine and it will still hold the 200 stockers.
well thats good to know - from what i had read i you needed to mod the stock battery tray for these.
how much flight time do you get out of the 550? im assuming this is hyperion also? the more flight time the better!!
bundydeity is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I only got the 550 because I put the bird into a Huey UH-1B fuse. The extra weight cut down flight time but the 550 got it back to normal. It is a e-Flight battery,has the same width but is a little taller and of course longer.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hyperion 550s will give you a good 10 minute flight time. But the bird is a lot heavier and isn't as much fun to fly, unless you are just hovering, practicing orientations etc.

Personally I get bored and land before 10 minutes is up
youturnjason is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bought 10 of the HK 300mA Nano-techs and they did great at first. Like many reports though, they died on me or started getting weak or puffed up a lot within about 3-4 months with very few cycles on them. Can't say they ever made as much power, even when new as the Proteks, but they were also on sale for like $2ea., so I can't complain.

Worst thing about the Nano's is they don't charge worth a darn. It routinely took nearly 2 hours to charg 6 of them in parallel and almsot the same as a single pack on the stock charger at .7A rate. In all honesty, if you don't mind buying a new set every couple of months and you're not trying to do a lot of crazy 3D with them, they work great, but I'd skip them and pay a little more for the Hyperions which seem to have 10X better of a reputation. Spyder batteries are also supposed to be really good, but they're pricey little boogers. So are the Proteks, but I know they work well (at least when new).
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

From what I have read on a few studies the hyperion 250 are the way to go, my LHS didn't stock them so I ended up with some power edge 300.

I have my timer set for 5 minutes but while learning to hover they lasted over 7 minutes.

They are a little longer than the stock e-flite 200 but with my extended solid CF tail boom they actually made the COG perfect.

IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED WITH DENTAL FLOSS, THEN IT CAN'T BE FIXED..LOL
Liduno is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just picked up a Hyperion 250 from my LHS to try out, and it seem's like a top notch product, I hovered it for 5 minutes and it still had some juice left. I'll be buying more when my stock and Tenergy batteries start giving up on me. They cost more then the HK cheapo's but less then the stockers, and that seems like a good deal to me for quality batteries.
AngryTradesman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
I bought 10 of the HK 300mA Nano-techs and they did great at first. Like many reports though, they died on me or started getting weak or puffed up a lot within about 3-4 months with very few cycles on them. Can't say they ever made as much power, even when new as the Proteks, but they were also on sale for like $2ea., so I can't complain.

Worst thing about the Nano's is they don't charge worth a darn. It routinely took nearly 2 hours to charg 6 of them in parallel and almsot the same as a single pack on the stock charger at .7A rate. In all honesty, if you don't mind buying a new set every couple of months and you're not trying to do a lot of crazy 3D with them, they work great, but I'd skip them and pay a little more for the Hyperions which seem to have 10X better of a reputation. Spyder batteries are also supposed to be really good, but they're pricey little boogers. So are the Proteks, but I know they work well (at least when new).
I have noticed the bold and underlined part of the above quote myself. On the other hand i have both some stock and Nano batteries that are doing well after nearly a year and many cycles.

I have noticed also that both the old Nano batteries and old stock batteries seem to have more pop if I use them soon after they are charged and if I let them charge slowly for two hours rather than try to speed up the charging process.

I have not tried my mCPx hyperion batteries yet, but I've recently been using some 550 mah hyperion batteries for the mqx. After 9 minutes of flight in the mqx I'm putting 350 mah back into the 550 mah hyperions. I notice that the hyperion batteries in my mqx have a lot more pop in the first minute than they do after 5 minutes and over the 9 minute flight I have a gradually increasing throttle position for the same performance with less maximum performance.

So, pretty much every battery I have used seems to have much more pop in the first minute: hyperion, stock, nano.

So far, my very new (about 5 charges) Hyperions do seem to accept a charge better and charge much faster at 1 C charge than my other batteries charge at 1C. The Hyperion batteries seem to spend relatively little time in the constant voltage phase of charge and my nano batteries seem to spend over an hour in the constant voltage phase.

Like someone else pointed out one cannot really draw valid conclusions outside of a controlled environment with testing equipment.
megawhacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawhacker View Post
I notice that the hyperion batteries in my mqx have a lot more pop in the first minute than they do after 5 minutes and over the 9 minute flight I have a gradually increasing throttle position for the same performance with less maximum performance..
I had the same issue with stock batteries and a few cheapo's that I got from a friend. I'm using MiniAviation 300's now and run them for 5 minutes of aggressive flight with no real degradation in performance. These bats run strong until the end. Doing all my stunt flying in the first minute of the battery is a thing of the past.

I ordered 6 a few months ago and 5 of them are still going strong. One has been problematic from the start (performance drops after about 2.5 minutes of flight). I tested that bad battery to LVC earlier this week and still got 6:20 out of it.

Check out the discharge rates on their website. www.miniaviation.com/mCPX (capitalization matters for the URL) After 60+ cycles on each battery I'm convinced that these batteries live up to their performance claims.

The main drawback is that these are from a UK supplier and can only be purchased through ebay to my knowledge (you can pay in US dollars, $15 for 2 bats)...Great for the Brits, but it means about a week+ to get them shipped to the states.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I picked up 6 Hyperions earlier today from Heli-Heli.com. It ended up being $40.44 including shipping. Not bad considering the batteries have a warranty and are able to charge up to 6C rates (not that I'd ever go over 3C anyways). If I can get 4:30 flights out of them in 3D 100% throttle I'll be happy. The Nano's did ok for about 3 mins and then just died off so I was never able to really see a long flight on them and the one that went to LVC puffed instantly on me, so I have no desire to abuse these ones unless they seem to accept it willingly. I'll let y'all know on Saturday how they do!
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in