Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand

bavarianDEMON/HeliCommand Factory Sponsored Bavarian DEMON and HeliCommand Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
It is the same Mix except using a two position switch to get zero fro Rigid and +40 for SL. My point is that it is documented to work in the DX9.

When you say "it doesn't work", that does not help much. Perhaps you can say exactly where the Aux2 channels go when you operate the the switch or even better post a video of you servo screen and narrate what you are doing with the switches.

I can't do a video now, but here's what happens:
Mix 1 with the push button works like it should
Mix 2 on switch C in the 0 position automatically puts the 3sx into Horizon mode (based on the values you stated) and shows at 17% in the monitor. If I go to position 2 on switch C the monitor shows 0% even though value if 30% was given. I am not using position 3 on switch C.

Here what u think is causing the problem. The default values of switch C are:
Position 0 = 100%
Position 1 = 0%
Position 3 = -100%

Do you see a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsteele View Post
Mix 2 on switch C in the 0 position automatically puts the 3sx into Horizon mode (based on the values you stated) and shows at 17% in the monitor. If I go to position 2 on switch C the monitor shows 0% even though value if 30% was given. I am not using position 3 on switch C.
Sounds like the Mix is working perfectly. If you go to position 2 you will find you get 30%. Please go back and re-read the first post in this thread. Specifically this part:

"This sends zero when F is centered (position 1), +17 when its in position 0, and +30 when its in position 2. Zero is no SL, +17 is a mild SL, and +30 is a moderate SL. You can change the 17 and -30 values to your liking. Note that you need a negative number in the right rate-field to get a positive output."

The input fields in the Mix input are not simple values for positions so I think it is confusing you. Further down in the thread I think we discuss how this gives you Zero with the switch centered which I don't think is ideal but that is what this Mix does.

You think it's not working because you are expecting Zero with the switch in position zero but that is not how this mix functions.

The advantage of this Mix is it gives you two SL values and Rigid. If you only want one SL level and Rigid on position 0, just use Switch A and set the "17" to 0. This is the Mix shown in the other thread post #21.

Or you can forget the Mixes entirely and use that Digital switch setup which should allow you to set any level to any position. The Governor page does the same thing. Just be aware though that using DSS or Gov, you will lose the Rescue overide that the Mixes give you.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok. I understand now. I appreciate your time. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using the DX9 and I am using a set-up similar to yours rhodesengr with using the two way switch H for the two positions of 0 and 40, and switch I for -110.

On the monitor screen, when switching all shows it working as it should, yet the lights on the 3SX will not show the blinking green to confirm in rescue mode when pushing the I switch???

With switch H down showing 0 in the diagnostic screen and 0 in the TX monitor screen, it shows an orange light confirming in the rigid mode.

With switch H up at showing 40% in both the diagnostic and monitor, it shows a solid green light confirming it is in the SL mode.

Then when pushing the I button, the TX monitor screen shows a -110 as it does in the diagnostic screen, yet the light on the SX units stays a solid green and does not give the flashing green indication that it should to indicate that it is in the Rescue mode?????

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

well I have to say that sounds pretty weird. The only thing I can think of is which bar on Diagnose are you looking at? Horizon or head gain? You have to have reassigned the channel on the Horizon tab so the TX channel is moving the Horizon bar and not the head gain bar. I think you must have done that or you would not have gotten orange and green. But just to make sure....
Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
well I have to say that sounds pretty weird. The only thing I can think of is which bar on Diagnose are you looking at? Horizon or head gain? You have to have reassigned the channel on the Horizon tab so the TX channel is moving the Horizon bar and not the head gain bar. I think you must have done that or you would not have gotten orange and green. But just to make sure....
Yes, it is the Horizon bar on the Diagnose screen that shows the indications. When the I button is pushed it goes to -110. Thyat is why I am confused as to why the light on the 3SX does not then go to a blinking green?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure you have selected one of the two horizon modes that support rescue.
Distributor: soXos Helicopter
F1 Rocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
Make sure you have selected one of the two horizon modes that support rescue.
Ah....that is probably why it does not go into CR mode as it is installed in a 700 size scale model with a three blade head.

It was in the "Hover and Scale" mode. When I changed to the Acro mode I could then get the CR to work.

Thank you.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright I've gone through all the setup and tuning still a have a small tail noise but that's another thread. So have got everything working correctly on the bench with a DX9 and my question is with the mix 2 is there and way so that a 3 position switch will read o at position 2 for rigid, then mild SL 17 on position 1 and then 30 for SL in position 0 on the switch.
Can get it to work like this if just setup in gov section and set to switch but then these values are taken of the -100% for CR when hitting the button assigned.
Would just rather the SL be setup so when in rigid mode 0%the switch is down so then I can just push up one or two postions to alter SL instead of up or down from centre
whatson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2015, 01:37 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have not figured out a way to use a 3-way switch and have zero where you want. Like you found, you can use Gov but then Rescue does not over ride the SL. You can use Digital Switch Setup but it works the same as Gov.

For this reason, I now have my SL and the 2-position switch A and still use the same mixes. I just changed the switch. So I have Zero down and one SL level up. Rescue overrides ether.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:52 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

so I just figured out a way to do it. The idea is to use DSS and have the switch control a "dummy" channel and then mix the Dummy back to your Horizon channel. So go to DSS (Digital Switch Setup), select switch F, set the values like you want (0, 17,30) or whatever but now zero is where you want and select a channel you are not using like Aux4. So the DSS screen should look like this
Digital Switch Setup
Switch: Switch F
Pos 0: 0
Pos 1: 20
Pos 2: 40

Channel: Aux4
---------------------------------------

Assuming Aux2 is your Horizon channel, the second mix now becomes
Aux4>Aux2
100 0
Switch I

black 0, white 1

You can probably use Gov the same way. Just send Gov to Aux4 and redo mix 2.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers for the reply, I'll give it a go and see how I go. I've been flying helis for about 6-7months and this is the first time I've had to use mixes and seem to have my head around most of it. Think a lot of people over complicate/think it.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can confirm that it works on the bench have yet to test the SL and CR in flight as just set it up. But the lights work as they should and the numbers on monitor screen are all correct. Thank you once again. I'm sure this will be helpfull for a lot of people who want rigid set at top or bottom on 3 position switch.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes the manuals are poor and I mentioned that one of their support people who was also not very knowledgeable.

Can you confirm that the new DX7 set up for the BDSX3 will be the same?
The new one seems to have the same functionality as the DX9/18 except for less channels. Thus I should be able to assign three head gain values to a couple of switches to get the three protection modes correct? Since the FAQ says its not possible to use more than 7 channels is my thinking correct? I am about to buy one and I do not want to make a mistake or limit myself or spend more than necessary.
Thanks,
John
jrvetter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #55 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvetter View Post
Yes the manuals are poor and I mentioned that one of their support people who was also not very knowledgeable.

The new one seems to have the same functionality as the DX9/18 except for less channels. Thus I should be able to assign three head gain values to a couple of switches to get the three protection modes correct? Since the FAQ says its not possible to use more than 7 channels is my thinking correct? I am about to buy one and I do not want to make a mistake or limit myself or spend more than necessary.
Thanks,
John
Can confirm it will NOT be the same. BD3SX and Spektrum requires two channels for functions of self-level and rescue.

Although there is only one output (channel 7 - Gov or Aux1), two separate switches control the channel and are combined using a mix.

It can be done, but DX7 is a different setup to DX9/18.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:28 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

weird, I answered this in detail but it either got deleted or I didn't post it right.

Quote:
no I can't because I don't own a DX7 but I think it will be ok. You have the required 7 channels and I think the new DX7 has the required mix capability. If you want to be 100% sure, go over to the DX7 thread on RCG, post the mixes at the start of this thread and ask if they will work in the DX7.

Quote:
Thus I should be able to assign three head gain values to a couple of switches to get the three protection modes correct?
well you could use the Gov feature for that but the whole point of the mixes is to put Rigid and SL on a switch and Rescue on a pushbutton. You don't really want Rescue on a switch.

Quote:
Since the FAQ says its not possible to use more than 7 channels is my thinking correct?
The FAQ says that you only need 7 channels for a typical electric heli setup. The 3SX needs 6 channels plus you need one more for Throttle so that makes 7. There are uses for other channels like running an external Governor or for use as a dummy variable as explained a few posts up. If you want DSS and some extra channels, spend the extra money and get the DX9 or 18.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:35 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
BD3SX and Spektrum requires two channels for functions of self-level and rescue.
Arch, all due respect and all but this is wrong. Rescue, self level and rigid are all just different gains on one channel, usually Aux2.
Rescue: Aux2=-100
Rigid: Aux2=0
SL: Aux2= +30 (more or less)

If you look at the mixes in the first post, there is no second channel.

In post #51, I used a second channel as a dummy variable to switch the order of things on a three position switch from 17,0,30 to 0,17,30. But this is optional and not required.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 AM   #58 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Can confirm it will NOT be the same. BD3SX and Spektrum requires two channels for functions of self-level and rescue.

Although there is only one output (channel 7 - Gov or Aux1), two separate switches control the channel and are combined using a mix.

It can be done, but DX7 is a different setup to DX9/18.
Arch, all due respect and all but this is wrong. ...

If you look at the mixes in the first post, there is no second channel.

In post #51, I used a second channel as a dummy variable to switch the order of things on a three position switch from 17,0,30 to 0,17,30. But this is optional and not required.
I'm assuming the polite version and not the military "Eat my shorts" type of "With all due respect sir"

That said, I do stand corrected, as I did not re-read post #1, only skimmed as far back as post #51 (as it was on the same page).

To be correct I'd say it needs to be a different setup than that posted earlier on this page (ie. post #51).

Here is post #1 again.

Quote:
Here is how I setup my Horizon channel on my DX18. I believe this scheme will also work on the new DX9.

In this example, the Horizon channel uses Aux 2. The Push-button for Rescue is switch I . I have switch F for Self level. There are two mixes
Mix1:
I>Aux2 (assigns the pushbutton to channel Aux2)
Rate 0 110 (this sends -110 out Aux 2 when I push Switch I)
Offset 0
Switch ON

Mix 2:
F>Aux 2 (this also assigns switch F to drive channel Aux 2)
Rate 17% -30%
Offset 0
Switch I
black zero, white 1

This sends zero when F is centered (position 1), +17 when its in position 0, and +30 when its in position 2. Zero is no SL, +17 is a mild SL, and +30 is a moderate SL. You can change the 17 and -30 values to your liking. Note that you need a negative number in the right rate-field to get a positive output.

Also, notice how Mix 2 is switched by Switch I. With the logic set as indicated (black 0, white 1), Mix 2 is turned off when you press the Pushbutton. So Mix 1 overrides Mix 2 and you always get -110 when you press the button no matter where Switch F is.

There is nothing sacred about the switch choices. You can also use the Clear or Back as the pushbutton but they do other built in things as well. You can uses any switch you want to the SL.
This method CAN work withe DX7. It uses only one channel to output the result of the two switches.

Thanks for the correction. I apologize for the mis-information.

(I do run BD3SX on 2 helis so am VERY familiar with the channel requirements - Did the original rescue cyclic washout mixes for the DX8 (which are trivial on DX7,9 and 18)).
Old 09-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your help and clarification! That will save me $250 in not having to go the the DX9. I confirmed with Spectrum that the new DX7 out just a few months now has the exact same programming as the DX9. I can't image that using an extra channel to set variables to set up the switches differently is worth the extra money but it is good to know the capability exists. Thus as my first and probably only CP, I do not think I will need more channels down the road. Also, you may want to update answer 21 about the new DX7 in the FAQ. As a new person trying to get into this world that is 2 orders of magnitude more complex than my fixed pitch, it took me a huge amount of time to just figure out what to buy. Of course some of the effort was very useful in helping me understand what I am getting into.
Thanks you
jrvetter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks for your help and clarification!
No problem and glad to help. There is definitely a learning curve and figuring things out before you have done them a few times is a real challenge. If you have the right stuff, it all goes pretty smoothly. If you have never done a CP build and setup before, consider buying the ebooks on rchelicopeterfun.com. You will find them very helpful. You will also want a swash leveling tool and a digital pitch gauge.

I would love to be able to update the FAQ but our ability to edit a post goes away after a week or so.

And just FYI, I spent hours and hours pouring over forums and other websites trying to figure things out when I got started about 3 years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in