Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HD Video Transmitter

Hello everyone, I am new and I am getting ready to outfit my Trex 500ESP with an FPV system. I want to fly with HD equipment not just record in HD does any one use a HD Video Tx.
thielecg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by thielecg View Post
Hello everyone, I am new and I am getting ready to outfit my Trex 500ESP with an FPV system. I want to fly with HD equipment not just record in HD does any one use a HD Video Tx.
No such thing yet. Well, not within the hobby realm. They are very high bandwidth devices, and none of the existing amateur channels are suitable. The home theater world offers devices that tout 20 meters as "long distance."

Besides, once you're flying, the low definition is not a problem. You're fully immersed and focused on the flight. You don't have time to count blades of grass or figure out if that's Vern or Marge down on the sidewalk. It's only later that the quality may seem lacking. So why take the risk of putting more expensive equipment on the bird than you actually need?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like Halley says, you dont need to have a HD view in your googles. Ofcourse, it would be awsome, but if you record in HD, its very funny to watch the fly trip afterwards
Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes is would, I have a pair of HD Video Glasses and was thinking about getting the Go Pro HD Camera but I would need to have the transmitter as well. The Cam will record HD video on to flash memory. I can't find anything hobby size or price, maybe some day....
Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by thielecg View Post
Yes is would, I have a pair of HD Video Glasses and was thinking about getting the Go Pro HD Camera but I would need to have the transmitter as well. The Cam will record HD video on to flash memory. I can't find anything hobby size or price, maybe some day....
The GoPro Hero HD has a composite (SD) output and a component output. They call the component output an HD, but it's not like an HDMI plug.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

RGB/Component is usually High Res.depending on equipment,HDMI is more for home theater applications because it carries the multiple audio channels as well. I think the Go pro has the HD/High Res. live output on the Component output but I will give them a call to find out since it is not clear on their web site.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Could 5.8Ghz systems transmit HD? Just wondering...

Diagnosed ERD (Extreme Rotor Deficit)
Launch 1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My conclusion is that using current technology, HD transmission for FPV is not possible. If by "HD" you mean the uncompressed digital video signal, like it is transmitted over an HDMI cable, the bandwidth of that signal is approximately 4Gbps. It will be difficult to transmit this amount of data over a wireless link. You may be able to use some UWB technology but then the range is insufficient for FPV. You could of course compress the video, using e.g. H.264, to a reasonable bitrate, say 3Mbps. But then you have the problem that you need to put a quite powerful computer in the heli to compress video and the compression/decompression also introduces a delay (among other things bc. motion compensated coding is used for video compression), which makes it pretty much unusable for FPV. Anyways, even if you had some fantasy low delay video compression technology, you still need to transmit 3Mbps over a long distance, which is difficult to do reliably.

Digital video transmission has also some other problems. One is that when you get out of range you will suddenly lose the whole video link without any warning, which is much worse than with analog video where you get more and more distortions as you approach the maximum transmission range.
HeliShredder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My thoughts exactly, I believe the best solution at this time is just to fly with the analog signal and record the flight in HD and enjoy later.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.edimaeg.com/camera.htm
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TioDave View Post
Never for get the rule "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is". Although I do look forward to reviews of this product :o
HeliShredder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Although this thread is a little old, I was researching on the same issue. While trying to find a HD transmitter, I came across this: http://boxx.tv/products/zenith/

Seems to be something new. Have a look at the videos on their website. Looks good.

Couldn't find information on costs, though.
alexsmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are a couple of HD transmitter that could be in 1Km range, but they are in the 15.000 to 25.000u$s range. They work in 5,8GHz.
Boxx cost around 1600u$s, but it is limit to 100m.

All of them were design for broadcast.

Here are some HD transmitter systems:
http://shop.vtq.de/index.php?cat=c34...N-SYSTEMS.html
http://www.nebtek.com/products/Micro...ansmitter.html
Titusx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in