Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Problems with Phoenix 25 Governor Mode

I have a CC Phoenix 25 on my Trex 250. I am running in governor mode with RPMs set at 3900 in normal and 4200 in idle up 1. I usually start-up in idle up mode by releasing throttle hold. The heli will start and I can usually fly two packs. One the third pack, the motor will not start. The ESC will arm and the blades will twitch but that's about it.

My radio is a DX7s, and I am using the 3GX FBL controller.

I have calibrated the throttle in the ESC in fixed end points mode, then calibrated the throttle in the 3GX followed by switching to governor mode in Castle Link. While calibrating the throttle, I have used a 0-25-50-75-100 throttle curve in Normal mode. Throttle curve in governor mode is straight 30% in normal and 70% in idle-up. Auto-rotation mode is not enabled.

When I got home from the field, I tried the heli again, and it started up. I hit throttle hold and it stopped. Released throttle hold and it started again. The third time I try this, the heli won't start.

If I run the ESC in fixed end-points mode with a 85% straight throttle curve, the motor starts every time.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I followed the same procedure with my Phoenix ICE 100 on my 550 and don't have this problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
DITCHING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It could be several things. Bad battery, bad motor, or bad connection (cold solder joint) or bad ESC. Sometimes when motors go bad they short when they get hot then run ok when they cool off. You will just have to check one thing at a time. If you have a friend with the same helicopter you could swap parts to isolate your problem.

The most often problem that I see is with motor connectors that are soldered on at the factory.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you flying packs back to back, or letting it cool between batteries? Maybe it's getting hot.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try the new firmware that just came out.
RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
Are you flying packs back to back, or letting it cool between batteries? Maybe it's getting hot.
The problem happens when flying both back to back, and with a 5-10 minute break between packs. However, this problem seems to only occur when flying in governor mode. I can fly back to back when ESC is set-up with fixed end points and running flat throttle curves.

I will try the new firmware and try setting everything up from scratch again.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried back-to-back flying for 3 packs with 4.02 beta firmware in my CC25 running governor mode, no problem at all. There was no break in between excepted the time to removed just use battery (very warm) and putting in a new one.
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it has something to do with my motor. This is on a 250, so I just held the heli in my hand with no blades on and released throttle hold. The motor twitched, but didn't start. Then I gave the motor a little twist with my finger and it started up. Not sure exactly why it would do that.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITCHING View Post
I think it has something to do with my motor. This is on a 250, so I just held the heli in my hand with no blades on and released throttle hold. The motor twitched, but didn't start. Then I gave the motor a little twist with my finger and it started up. Not sure exactly why it would do that.
CC25 firmware v4.01 and 4.02 had an issue with start power. After I upgraded to v4.01, with default start up power, motor could not start right away, just stuttering. Many users encountered that problem. The fix was to set the startup power max. I did that and never have any startup issue with 4.01 and 4.02. Now, CC25 firmware is 4.12. I have not tried it yet because I switched ESC to YEP 18.
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes this worked great. I increased the start power and the motor started right up every time. Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in