Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default change switch assignment.. can it de done?

Hey guys,

This may not be able to be done, and if it can be, might be hard to explain on here.

I have trex 450 pro, with a airplane dx7 radio.

My flight mode switch is done by using the "flap mix" switch on the radio, 0=normal, 1=idle up 1, 2=idle up 2

Here is my problem, I have CP (cerebral palsy) It effects all of my motor skills on on the left side of my body. When I am holding the radio I am not able to flip the flight mode switch with any of my left hand fingers while holding the radio, and when I am able to it is extremlly difficult for me to keep control of the heli due to me trying to flip that switch to fly in idle up mode, when I can get it switched I am then totally uncomfortable, holding the radio, and think to much about that to fly the heli, and I have to land it to get situated again.

This is a frustrating problem for me, it has been my whole life, I can not even turn a screw driver with my left hand. Lucky to be able to even fly a heli.

I would like to if possable to make my Aux 2 swith my normal, and idle up switch, where it is on the right side of the radio I can easily flip that switch. The thing is when I go through the radio, it appears my gyro is on Aux 2 channel? When looking at the (input select) screen, it says Aux2 then to the right of that it says Gear, then on the next line on the left it says Aux2 then to the right of that it says Gyro.

So I do not know what to do.

Thanks guys for bearing with me.

George
gagallagher04401 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i think you would need to take the radio apart and physically move the switch over.. i dont believe the dx7 is able to set a differnt switch to control the flight modes.

minimalitia1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

DX7 does not have assignable switches. You might really benefit by upgrading to a better radio. You will have to research what radios can assign switches. I want to say the JR 9303, Futaba 10C, and Airtronics 10SG have this feature. (and probably many more, mostly all high end)

Moving the physical switches will probably void your warranty.

Aux2 is a 2-position switch, right? Your flight mode is 3-position so that wouldn't work even if you could assign it to Aux2.

I have that Aux/Gear menu setup so that I use my gear channel (travel adjust menu) as my gyro gain. Meaning I got into the travel adjust menu and change the +100%/-100% values to say +40%/-40% to set my gain.

Aux2_____Gear
Aux2_____Gear

I'm not 100% certain, but I think your "gyro" in place of "gear" means you are using the Gyro Sens menu to adjust gain? But when using the Gyro Sens menu it allows you to set a specific gain value for each of the 3 flight modes. (normal/idle1/idle2)
CatchmyCorsair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya what he said, or you could sell the dx7 and get the hitec aurora 9 with fully programable switches, touchscreen, backlit screen and omg so much more dare I say telemetry?
ccieslin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

George,

As far as I know, you cannot have any other switch control the flight modes on the DX-7, Air or Heli version. But you can physically swap the flap and Aux 2 switches to the other positions if you choose. You're on your own with that though, as I've never read about anyone doing that. I have read about guys swapping the flap and gear switches though, but that won't help you out.

Regarding the power-on menu, look at the input select screen as being divided in half vertically rather than horizontally. Therefore AUX2/AUX2 are together and GEAR/GYRO are together.

What I think might help you out is this:

Use a neck strap or radio tray to help support the transmitter when you take your left hand off the stick. Also, you might consider flying in Stunt mode only, don't even use Normal mode, this way you won't have to worry about flipping the flight mode switch while you're flying.

All you have to do is make sure the ESC has soft start enabled (it should by default), throttle hold is ON, place your flight mode switch to Stunt1 or 2, place the throttle stick at the mid position, then flip throttle hold OFF. The heli will spool up on soft start and then take off and fly. When you're done, just land and hit throttle hold and let her spool down.

The only thing you have to be mindful of is that with Stunt mode you have full negative pitch AND power at low stick, so you NEVER want to go to low stick when landing. One of the safest techniques for landing is to bring the heli into a stable hover no more than a foot off the ground and then hit throttle hold. Without changing the position of the throttle stick, the heli will float to the ground and land. You might choose to add some positive collective in the final few inches to "flare" the landing, give it a try if you choose.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 for flying in idle-up only, it's what I do.
A neck strap is also very handy, I can't fly without it now days.
I've seen too many folks forget to hit the switch and crash from it.

AMA#1058309
Mon_t is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks guys for all the help and ideas, I am going to have to learn to work around it, I have had to my whole life.

I did take the radio back off and see if I could actually move the physical position of the two switches but there is not enough wire to do so.

I do have a neck strap also I use.

I think my best bet is trying to fly starting out in idle up and not worry about flipping the switch.
As far as a warrenty, there isn't one anyway, I bought everything from Bob O on the site here.

Bob did my buddy Burt the rep for T-rex ever get in touch with you?

George

Thanks guys.
George
Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

George,

I've not been contacted by anyone.

BTW, if you're really handy or know someone who is, extensions for the wire can probably be made so the switches can be swapped.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hey Bob

Yeah I thouhgt about making the wires longer also, but for now I am going to try just flying in idle up mode.

ttyl
George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in