Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scorpion Motor & ESC for the 425.

Good evening guys, I joined this forum back in October 24 and was not able to post any messages until last week when I posted an introductory message. Anyway I got myself a Gaui Hurricane 425 that I'm currently building, (my Winter project) which I got at IRCHA in Muncie, IN on August 12. For this Heli I bought a Scorpion HK3026-1400 V2 motor and a 6 cell 26v 90 amp ESC with a switching BEC. I have a couple of questions regarding these two products.

1.) The motor has a 5mm round shaft with NO flat spots, I purchased a Gaui 13T pinion and this pinion fits over the shaft with two set screws. Will these two set screws hold the motor pinion firmly in place? even under the stress of flying?

2.) The internal BEC on the ESC provides a continuous output of 3 amps with 4 amp bursts. I have purchased 3 Hitec digital servos for the cyclics and a JR digital tail servo. Are these continuous 3 amps sufficient to power my digital servos? Or will I need to get a separate BEC to power my servos and gyro and disable the internal BEC in my ESC?

Well if anybody can provide me with some answers to these questions I would certainly appreciate it.

Regards;
Carlos

PD: By the way if anybody has just bought issue #5 of Radio Control Heli Pilot, my picture with Matt Botos at the IRCHA Jamboree is in the letters section of the magazine, check it out.

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Carlos, and happy New Year.

I would not trust the motor shaft without a flat on it - grab a Dremel or file and stick a couple of flats on the shaft. Not sure about teh ESC - I use a separate SportBEC from Dimension Engineering.

Cheers,
Mike
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I would not trust the motor shaft without a flat on it - grab a Dremel or file and stick a couple of flats on the shaft.
+1 but please make sure you cover the motor very well (in example with the plastic bag) so the filings will not get into it or into bearings as there are quite strong magnets there

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauiMan2010 View Post
Are these continuous 3 amps sufficient to power my digital servos? Or will I need to get a separate BEC to power my servos and gyro and disable the internal BEC in my ESC?
This is always a good question. There are people who wants to be on the safe side and fly with bigger BEC. There are people who just fly BEC that are integrated with ESC (that typically are about 3A constant current) and they are just fine, so I believe there is no simple answer. If your ESC is this: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...6S-Com90A-ESC/ the Scorpion says: The Commander SBEC will deliver 2.5 Amps of continuous current with 4 amp bursts. And can handle up to 4 digital servos or up to 5 standard servos on fix wing models so if I were you I would be careful with it. Please remember that cyclic servo are working together... to some extend. My call would be to get separate BEC. You can get something small (like 3A) and keep Scorpion BEC for gyro-tail servo set and the new BEC only for cyclic or just simply get something like 5A (or more) and power all electronics from it.
Jack2010 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default ok

Ive had my 425 a yr now and Im upgradeing to the same exact scorpian equipment you are .
do not put the gear on without dremeling a flat area these motor s spin up at high rpms and if it slips you might burn up the motor and even loose the 425 if the gear slips in flight.
Now on the bec question I run mine sperate - I just feel safer knowing I have it on a sperate bec that's my preference and its giving me all the power I need to the servos and gyro. I tried runing my sbec off the esc(eflit 60amp) as a trial run with my original bec not (scorpian) and the power to the servos and gyro didnt seem right was not responseding correctly and when I switched to a sperate bec it was fine.
well give it a try see what you like
and fly that 425
mightymouse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the Scorpion 3026/1400Kv in a 425 CF frame.
FWIW.. yes you need to dremel a flat for the pinion. It's just not going to hold if you do not do that.
I also had to cut a small amount off the end of the shaft because it was hitting the front servo. Maybe not an issue on the plastic frame.

This motor can work your pack pretty hard. Mine is in a flybarless setup and I'm only running around 2600 headspeed but it will still mildly puff my Turnigy 6S 3000MaH 20 - 30C packs if I beat on it. If you plan to fly agressively then go for higher C rated packs.
ukgroucho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your reply I really appreciate it. Just wanted to let you know I came upon a neat "How to" video by Lucien Miller the owner of Innov8tive Designs that shows to grind a flat on the shaft using a Dremel tool. I followed his instructions, taking apart the motor, protecting the motor shaft and can with a plastic bag and then I used a rotary tool to grind the flat. I only did one flat which was the recommendation of Mr. Miller when I asked him via e-mail. Anyway the pinion is now permanently on with Loctite so now I just need to get the proper gear mesh in and then permanently mount the motor too. This was a good experience for me and I'm sure I will have with the rest of the build.
Thanks again guys.
Carlos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in