Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

1500mW can interfere with things if there isn't enough distance between the other components. I run the 401s on the 2-axis gimbal on a 700E with a 300mW video Tx on the opposite end of the heli near the tail rotor. Maybe move the Tx or drop to a lower power output?
s_linste is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeh thought about doing that. The only issue would be that you would have a "link" between the gimbal and the main frame, which if you want to rotate the gimbal 360 deg, then the wires will be an issue. How do you overcome this ?

I am definitely going to give it a go though.
jmanphotos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would love to know what the copter kids use .. or similar companies. As they seem to have no issues and have all the gimbal components staying on the gimbal.
It looks like a few of them use a "Y" antenna ... would love to know their frequency!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you are running you RC control and 2.4ghz and video at 1.2Ghz, this can cause a loss of control because 1.2 is a harmonic frequency of 2.4ghz. Equals high risk, especially at a high power like 1.5W! Like s_linste said, 300mW is a better choice. I have been a 1km away with 200mW 900Mhz, and you won't ant to go that far.

I would be considering doing more research on these setups (maybe ask RCModelreviews on youtube? Look for his website). Using high power video or harmonic frequencies is a high risk of flight control loss, the risk increases with distance from you as control radio signal weakens at the Heli Rxr, and the relative strength of the video downlink overwhelms it. And you won't want that.
And no, I can't recommend the right thing to do. Best to ask those in the know with experience.
TRex600esp. TRex600e Pro.
CrayonBox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi CrayonBox, thanks for your reply.
I have done a heap of research on the downlinks. The problem is that everyone has a different opinion.
First bunch of people said 5.4Ghz was the best cos of all the new technology coming out, then the next bunch said Nooo .. 5.4 is likely to interfere with your 2.4Ghz TX and 1.2 is what most people use, so I switched to 1.2. And now I am hearing that 1.2Ghz is no good and try going to 900Mhz, which I have already had people tell me that its outdated and 1.2Ghz is better.
So you see my dilemma is who to believe and what one to go with.

I have already tried 5.4 and the downlink was terrible. Then tried 1.2 with a 800mw TX and that fizzled out (shorted), so I tried the 1500mw, on the thought the link and distance would be better, which is exactly what I found, however now it messing with the Gyro's!
Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I understand your frustration. I am sure 1.2Ghz is a bad mix with 2.4Ghz. Send Bruce at RCModelReviews a email and ask his advance- he's into that in a big way.

I have issues with all this too. 5.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz should be the best option - if you can get it to work, and FYI 900Mhz I believe is illegal in Australia!

Here is a good read http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1576534 to probably confuse you more
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363625

More reading leads me to believe that 900Mhz is legal in Australia.

Last edited by CrayonBox; 06-18-2012 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: Legal 900mhz
Old 06-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't had any issues with legality and transmitters in Australia, not sure if any are illegal or not, but knowing Australian government theres gotta be some sort of law on it somehow. haha.
I was chatting with a FPV flyer on heli freak who was flying his choppers 3kms or so, with the 1.2Ghz setup, and he had no issues.
Would love to hear from anyone tapping in who has had any issues with 1.2Ghz video downlinks. Would be interesting to hear.

I will send a message to Bruce from RCModel reviews and see what he says also.

By the way CrayonBox, thanks for the heads up on having the same % both ways on the endpoint setup, that sorted out a few things I was trying to figure out.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Maybe when you have it all worked out you can tell me what to do haha
Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

haha ... will do.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanphotos View Post
The only issue would be that you would have a "link" between the gimbal and the main frame, which if you want to rotate the gimbal 360 deg, then the wires will be an issue. How do you overcome this ?

I am definitely going to give it a go though.
That's a good point -- I can only rotate my gimbal 180 in each direction. Now that you mention it, I just realized that if you have a battery on board for the gimbal, you don't need to run any wires to it if you also have the Rx mounted on the gimbal.

Second thought, if you have a 401 on the top of the gimbal (the stationary part) dont you need to run wires from it the servo rotating part?
s_linste is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

our heavy duty hollow pan shaft for 3X Pro v2 will allow gyro and power wires to be run through the pan axis allowing multiple rotations without tangling wires.

PhotoShip One is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in