Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2015, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking Got to fly my first "demo" today.

It was a rare nice november day so I brought my Logo to the family Thanksgiving get together on the slim chance I'd actually get to fly it. Well turns out there was some interest and a decent place to fly so I got to do a couple little flights for a few people including some young kids, none of whom have seen a "big" rc heli before except my dad. I made sure everybody stayed well behind me and I always kept the heli a safe distance in front of me.

The ground was lumpy with kind of tall grass but I found a good spot to take off. The kids started counting down as I spooled up so on "zero" I shot straight up at nearly full collective. They liked that.

The area I flew in was several acres long but only about 1 or 2 wide with walls of trees on each side so I didn't do any circles or side to side flying.

I tried to just stay safe and well within my limits. Did some hovering, upright piros and flips. The kids especially loved the backflips. I even went a little above the trees and did some decent tic tocs. The best part though was cutting the (admittedly tall-ish) grass (my first time with the Logo) with kids behind me saying "Lower!".The next flight they were telling me to cut the grass again so I did.
It was pretty cool.
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's awesome. I always do my best flying with a crowd. Pretty cool that you had some support, I'm usually having to sneak off and get a flight of there's family around.
GAUI NX7, TREX 600N, Goblin 570, Gaui X3L, DX7G2, AMA#970963 Citizen 420
907Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is awesome! Cool!
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

that sounds like a good Fall /winter day ...
Old 11-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks! I keep thinking winter is finally here and I'll have no more flying till next season. Then we get a random day like today in the 60's. I'm so glad it was today too since I have to work tomorrow. (supposed to rain anyway)

It was not a spectacular flight or anything (still pretty good for me) but I wish I'd asked somebody to record it at least for the grass cutting part. I was pretty nervous and didn't expect to do anything too interesting but once in the air it felt pretty good (still needs some tuning though) and then the little "crowd" (like 8-10 people) got into it a little, especially the kids (all under 10) which was fun.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

the aftermath :

Old 11-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Grass stains? I get those every time I fly... easy to wipe off.

An acre is a measure of area, not distance.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycled View Post
Grass stains? I get those every time I fly... easy to wipe off.
OK well I don't except on the tail. This was my first time getting that low with this heli. And yes I cleaned the blades off after I took some photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycled View Post
An acre is a measure of area, not distance.
I know but I wasn't sure how else to describe it. I guess it was like roughly 4 or 5 acres stacked in a column. Like a golf fairway kind of. Except in a forest with a wall of trees on each side.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Great that you introduced some people to the hobby. Sounds like you had a blast!

Rick
rdlohr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Always cool to hear about a first demo flight. I usually crash in front of my family
Old 11-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorapture View Post
Always cool to hear about a first demo flight. I usually crash in front of my family
The first time I tried to fly my 450x for my parents and grandparents I had a minor tip over and stripped the main gear before I could even lift off.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet. I almost brought my 550 to virginia but decided not too... every large field had me frowning lol.
Nitrofever3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in