Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gasser helis

Hey guys I'm looking for some pros and cons to gas helis
lukeristau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pro: They run on gas
Con: They run on gas

LOL

Generally, gas helis run longer, fuel is cheaper. They are heavier and as such less nimble. Can still be lots of fun depending on your flying style. Tuning is a bit different than glow, so there's some learning curve.
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Power to weight: Electric > Nitro > Gas
Cost to operate: Nitro > Electric > Gas

So the trade-off is lowest power to weight, but lowest cost to operate. They can run longer, but that depends so much on how you fly anything. You can get 3 minutes on an electric, or you can get 15 minutes.

Unless you are a total smack demon, you should be happy with a gasser's power to weight. You can do some wonderful big air 3D with a gasser.

Noise and clean-up are other considerations. For some, those are part of the fun; for others, not so much. Some folks hate to charge at the field. Others don't mind, or just bring a carload of batteries. It's so personal...

Any IC engine can take some tweaking, but once you know what you're doing, it becomes a non issue.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good points already posted, but another is sound. Some love the way they sound, others hate them. To me they sound like weedeaters.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me, a personal thing. I have 4 electrics and a Goblin 700 Leviathan Gasser with a VX300. The gasser is pretty new and I have a former life of auto racing and working on engines.
For me, it's the sound, smells, longer flights, and such. The gasser will force you to be smooth on pitch controls, both Collective and Cyclic. Tuning is a learning experience but all the folks in the Gasser section of HF are FANTASTIC!
If you don't like to wrench and build, you probably won't enjoy the IC engined heli's, nitro or gasser.

Oxy3 285, Oxy4Stretch, Oxy4Max, Oxy5-520 6S, Urukay Triple head, Goblin 770 Sport.
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talking

Their heavy -extremely stable - Even hovering in the wind. Big and scary -& depending on the fuel, some times they smell like a Colman camp stove -so it makes every body hungry for Hot Dog's ! or BACON !!!

Fly some what soft, almost lethargic. Make a scary WACK noise if you pick up a Styrofoam cup. To make em go ? you gota pull a cord. You can just about work on with a hammer and vice grip's.

Flight Times for just kinda learning > Too and Fro or this way / that way or the OTHER WAY . Just absolutely stupid long. To Long.

You want one of them Zitt / Zitt - Zitt - dedelle - beeb - beeb - dedeldele ones that makes sounds with buzzers - like the neighbor ladies electric weed eater. Carry a LONG extension cord too charge it --and trim weed's : LOL

Some are NO GOOD : Cause they have FLYBAR"S and nobdy knows how too set em up - They all died !

Last edited by GREYEAGLE; 03-24-2017 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot
GREYEAGLE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREYEAGLE View Post
You want one of them Zitt / Zitt - Zitt - dedelle - beeb - beeb - dedeldele ones that makes sounds with buzzers - like the neighbor ladies electric weed eater. Carry a LONG extension cord too charge it --and trim weed's : LOL

Some are NO GOOD : Cause they have FLYBAR"S and nobdy knows how too set em up - They all died !
Too funny.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Major benefits are stability and flight time.
Major cons are bulky and not very agile.
I like the mixed gas option though.

Thanks guys any more input is appreciated.

RIP flybars
ktmdiesel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmdiesel View Post
Major cons are bulky and not very agile.

RIP flybars
Guess a lot of guys have not seen Doug Darby's Bad Gas Goblin.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been interested in a gasser for a while too, do love to wrench and tune... Do also love power hence I haven't pulled the trigger but for my flying style it may be ok. Sorry to hijack the post but the OP may be interested too, what is the highest power to weight setup available at present for a 700 frame?
JoshNZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
+1, yep just putting around lazily cruising the skies with that way overweight gasser.
Things are still changing and hopefully the new Zenoah mod that's in the works will be another awesome improvement for this hobby .
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was able to get my helix down to 11 lbs with 14OZ of fuel so I'm lighter then some Electric set ups. The 300 Henson or TRM 300 make really good power. With a tuned pipe it will make more power then a 90 nitro. Also check out the new - JC Designs Protos Max V2 Gas Conversion. This is going to be a very light gasser.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=755731

This is the miniature aircraft whiplash gasser with TRM 300. This is with just the muffler.
[ame="https://youtu.be/ayyMaSa2dYo"]TRM 29.5cc Whiplash Gasser! - YouTube[/ame]

Here is the goblen with TRM 300 and tuned pipe on it.
[ame="https://youtu.be/-I-Smg04uEk"]Tim Jones Doug Darby Bad Gas Goblin Cajun Heli Fest 2015 - YouTube[/ame]
joecass2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lots of good info below. Gassers is a grass roots group yet more refined than most of the other sub-forums!

https://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255

http://www.gas-powered-helicopters.com/home/

As you can see from the videos. the Goblin gasser rocks when wound up, yet has one of the widest HS capabilities, from mild to wild.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQkR3Rjwzjw"]Leviathan Goblin Gasser 1400 Head Speed - YouTube[/ame]

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.

Last edited by fastflyer20; 03-24-2017 at 10:14 PM..
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 10:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a FYI, there is a whole gasser sub forum here, check it out.

Also for all the people saying they are heavy and what not, most of them probably have not seen a gasser fly much less flown one.

So come over to the gasser area and talk with the people that own and fly them.

Last edited by Rudy; 03-25-2017 at 10:52 AM..
Rudy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haha sounds good Rudy. Yea they do pretty much anything I'd ever be able to do anyways. Freeaakin loud little suckers
lukeristau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

At high head speed they are loud, noise decreases quickly as the head speed is decreased.

Tim Jones likes it extra loud, a short silencer was used with a tuned pipe for those flights.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeristau View Post
Freeaakin loud little suckers
Ok they make noise on the ground, but once up in the air I dont find them loud at all. I have seen many electric helis that are louder then my gasser due to stupid high head speed and the related blade noise.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ahhhh...the sounds, the smells, the purrrrr and rasp of the engine fluctuations, the blades farting! All part of it, just like a good fireworks show or top fuel dragsters! Certainly not for everyone though.

Ahhhh....heck....I'm going out the door to fire mine up!!!

Oxy3 285, Oxy4Stretch, Oxy4Max, Oxy5-520 6S, Urukay Triple head, Goblin 770 Sport.
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in